iPad Mini 2 Release Date Set on Q3 2013; iPad 5 Coming in April?
By Kristin Dian Mariano | March 19, 2013 5:51 PM EST
According to rumours, iPad 5 will have an early release date next month, while the successor of the popular iPad Mini will make its debut this fall.
Sources suggest new Apple devices will offer improved specifications and performance but will not be completely redesigned products. According to iMore, one of the best sources for insider Apple information on the web, the latest iteration of the full-sized iPad could be out as soon as this April.
The fifth-generation iPad is expected to be smaller than the current iPad but this will be due to a smaller screen bezel rather than a smaller display.
The iPad 5 is rumoured to have no bezels, and the whole form factor has been made sleeker. Horowitz believes this design indicates that Apple will be calling on Sharp's IGZO screen technology. Sharp, however, according to Horowitz, has been struggling, and its ability to deliver components on time will play a key role in the release of the next iPad.
On the other hand, iPad Mini 2 is speculated to bring the iPad Mini design up to a premium standard alongside its larger counterpart with a Retina display and a processor upgrade, so we would expect the price to be relatively high accordingly.
Other reports said that iPad Mini 2 could be released at an earlier date due to the high demand on the product and expectations of the consumers.
It is most likely that tech giant Apple will capitalize on the success of iPad Mini, which is built with the same internal hardware as Apple's iPad 2. Despite being in the market for a short time, the iPad Mini sparked interest. Thus, it is most likely that we will see the iPad Mini 2 before it turns one this year with greater specs and features.
This is contradicted by previous reports which claimed that the iPad 5 and iPad Mini 2 release dates are delayed by shortages on one of the key components of the devices.
According to reports, iPad Mini 2 will feature a screen with a resolution of 2048 x 1536. This is almost four times the resolution of the present iPad Mini and is equal to the fourth generation iPad which was released along with the iPad Mini last year. AU Optronics has been rumoured to be making displays for the iPad Mini 2.
Other specs include a more powerful dual core A7 processor and a 7.9 inch screen. It will also feature a 10-hour battery life, a FaceTime HD camera, and an iSight camera with 1080 pixels HD video recording. Apple is also trying to reduce the thickness of the iPad Mini 2 by using the Sharp's IGZO (indium gallium zinc oxide) technology in its screens.
However, Apple remained tight lipped on its plans this year and the details of its upcoming devices.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- The Pirate Bay Founder Gottfrid Svartholm Clears That Fredrik Neij And Peter Sunde Are Not TPB Founders
- [In Pictures] Police Fire As Protest Turns Into ‘Riot’ After Grand Jury Decision on Ferguson Shooting
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 8 Spoilers: Daryl Dixon Is Set To Burn The Place Down in ‘Coda’
Join the Conversation
- Kobani ISIS Fighter Sends Out Desperate Message For Prayers And Support: Euphoria Turns Into Desperation As Kurds Advance
- Chris Algieri’s Battered Face Trends On Social Media
- Home Depot Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Up To Nov. 29, 2014 Includes Special Buys On Appliances Such As Samsung Refrigerators, Whirlpool Electric Ranges And Hoover Vacuum Cleaners
- Microsoft Band Runs Out Of Stock, But Offers $10 Gift Voucher To Wait-Listed Customers
- Black Friday Sale 2014 Deals From Amazon On Smartphones, TVs, Headsets And More
- Andrew Robb Asks Obama Not to ‘Lecture’ Australia on Climate Change
- Highest Paid NBA Players 2014: NBA Stars Who Earn More Than LeBron James