Marathon Runner Dies Of Heart Attack During Barcelona Marathon In Hot Temperatures
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | March 19, 2013 1:11 AM EST
A runner died of a heart attack after running in the Barcelona Marathon on Sunday, according to reports, due to sweltering hot temperatures.
The 47-year-old man, whose name was immediately released, suffered a heart attack during the marathon on Sunday, ESPN reported via The Associated Press.
According to Barcelona's Clinic Hospital, the runner died shortly after arriving at the hospital from a heart attack.
In the 2013 Barcelona Marathon, Ethiopians Gezahgne Abrera and Lemelen Berha won the men’s and women’s, respectively. Abrera finished in 2 hours, 10 minutes, 17 seconds while Berha finished in 2:34:39.
The Barcelona Marathon is one of the biggest events held annually in March in the European city, attracting tens of thousands of people since it began in 1978.
Reports of Sunday’s marathon runner death come after an Israeli soldier died of heat stroke two days earlier on Friday after completing a half-marathon in Tel Aviv. According to Yahoo News, 29-year-old Sgt. Michael Michalevitch, who served in the military’s canine special forces, collapsed in the heat, which was 32 degrees Celsius (90 degrees Fahrenheit) on Friday. Yitzhak Aharonovich, Israel's public security minister, said on Israel Radio that organizers should not have scheduled a marathon in such extreme temperatures. According to Yahoo, more than 50 runners were also treated for the race after collapsing from heat.
According to the Mayo Clinic, those who suffer from heat stroke have body temperatures of 104F degrees or higher, which can cause severe damage to the brain, heart, kidneys or muscles.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao Has Got Chris Algieri Fight All Figured Out
- New York Knicks Vs. Cleveland Cavaliers Live Streaming Info, Preview And Betting Odds
- San Francisco Giants Beat Kansas City Royals, 3-2 In Game 7, Wins 2014 MLB World Series [PHOTOS]
- Los Angeles Lakers Suffer Second Straight Loss, Phoenix Suns Deal Kobe Bryant Another Blowout Defeat, 119-99
- Manny Pacquiao KO Of Chris Algieri Will ‘Shut Up’ Floyd Mayweather Jr. Declares Freddie Roach
- NATO: Russia's Been Conducting Too Many Military Flights Over Europe
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Apple iPhone 6 Plus vs Motorola Droid Turbo: Comparsion On Processor, Software And Battery
- Moto X 2014 vs. Motorola DROID Turbo - Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Australia Special Forces Await 'Delayed' Iraqi Visas Before Joining ISIS Fight
- ISIS Has Been Equipped With Advanced Anti-Aircraft Missiles
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs Motorola Droid Turbo – S-Pen Is Note’s 4 USP But Droid Turbo Can Outshine With Larger Battery