Marathon Runner Dies Of Heart Attack During Barcelona Marathon In Hot Temperatures
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | March 19, 2013 1:11 AM EST
A runner died of a heart attack after running in the Barcelona Marathon on Sunday, according to reports, due to sweltering hot temperatures.
The 47-year-old man, whose name was immediately released, suffered a heart attack during the marathon on Sunday, ESPN reported via The Associated Press.
According to Barcelona's Clinic Hospital, the runner died shortly after arriving at the hospital from a heart attack.
In the 2013 Barcelona Marathon, Ethiopians Gezahgne Abrera and Lemelen Berha won the men’s and women’s, respectively. Abrera finished in 2 hours, 10 minutes, 17 seconds while Berha finished in 2:34:39.
The Barcelona Marathon is one of the biggest events held annually in March in the European city, attracting tens of thousands of people since it began in 1978.
Reports of Sunday’s marathon runner death come after an Israeli soldier died of heat stroke two days earlier on Friday after completing a half-marathon in Tel Aviv. According to Yahoo News, 29-year-old Sgt. Michael Michalevitch, who served in the military’s canine special forces, collapsed in the heat, which was 32 degrees Celsius (90 degrees Fahrenheit) on Friday. Yitzhak Aharonovich, Israel's public security minister, said on Israel Radio that organizers should not have scheduled a marathon in such extreme temperatures. According to Yahoo, more than 50 runners were also treated for the race after collapsing from heat.
According to the Mayo Clinic, those who suffer from heat stroke have body temperatures of 104F degrees or higher, which can cause severe damage to the brain, heart, kidneys or muscles.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- Roger Federer Tops Forbes’ List of Most Financially Valuable Athlete; Maria Sharapova and Li Na Also Make the Cut
- Eugenie Bouchard Fires Warning To Serena Williams; She Wants No.1 Ranking
- Transfer News: Real Madrid Unveil Galactico James Rodriguez [PHOTOS]
- Roger Federer Regains Deadly Service Game - Andy Roddick
- Jeremy Lin Seeks Respect From Lakers Star Kobe Bryant
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales
- Sony Xperia M2 vs. Moto G – Specifications, Features and Price Showdown