Ten Killed As Explosive Laden Car Hits Civilian Bus In Somalian Capital Mogadishu
By IBTIMES STAFF REPORTER | March 19, 2013 12:25 AM EST
At least, ten people were killed and several others injured in a massive car bomb attack near the presidential palace in Mogadishu, capital of Somalia. Apparently, a car laden with explosives targeted a senior Somali government official, who was traveling in a car near the presidential palace. But a civilian bus traveling in the route came between the government car and the car bomb, when it was hit, police said according to a Reuters report.
The suicide attacker detonated the bomb while driving in a road between the palace and the national theatre.
"The suicide car bomber targeted a senior national security officer whose car was passing near the theatre," senior police officer Abdiqadir Mohamud told Reuters. "Most of the people who died were on board the minibus - civilians. This public vehicle coincidentally came between the government car and the car bomb when it was hit. Littered in the scene are human hands and flesh."
A journalist who was injured in the blast told the Associated Press that several people sitting in a restaurant near the blast site were injured.
"This is a disaster, there is smoke and dead bodies thrown all around," another witness quoted by the AFP news agency said.
The blast site is close to the Somali government's headquarters.
So far, no group has claimed responsibility for the deadly attack.
The security situation in Mogadishu seemed to have improved after withdrawal of Al-Qaeda linked Al-Shabab group from the city, following a military offensive by the African forces and Somali government troops against the rebels in Aug. 2011. However, suicide attacks and assassinations by the militants continue to rock the city.
Suicide bombers killed a civilian at a beach front restaurant in a popular weekend hangout in the Somali capital Mar.1.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince Harry & Camilla Thurlow Getting Serious, St. Tropez Holiday Before The Prince’s 30th Birthday [PHOTOS]
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Getting Serious With Jennifer Lawrence, Actress Joining Coldplay Tour [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Ukraine Crisis: Putin Dangles Nuclear War Threat, US Senators Advise Sending Defensive Weapons
- James Foley Is A Spy – Jihadi Recruiter Reveals
- Australia's Renewable Energy Industry Braces for Removal of Support
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans
- Australia Races Against Potential Genocide In Iraq
- Apple iPhone 6 Actual Release Date after September 9 Confirmed 128GB Variant with New Resolution
- Moto G2 Release Roundup: Specs, Pricing, and Release Date Details
- PlayStation 4 Killing Xbox One Costing Microsoft Millions But It's Fine
- Google Chrome 64-bit for Windows 8 and Window 7 with Mac Beta Available
- Apple iOS 8 vs Android 5.0 L: OS Wars Puts Android to Lower while Apple to Higher
- Nexus 6 on Release Date Confirmed with Phablet-Size Display as FCC Filing Hints of 5.9-Inch Screen
- Google Can Kill Samsung with Android KitKat and Android One: Here's How