Low-Cost iPhone Could Feature The Same 4-Inch Display As iPhone 5
By Vijaykumar Meti | March 18, 2013 8:48 PM EST
We have already heard rumors that Apple is working on a low-cost iPhone to compete the entry-level Android smartphones in the emerging markets. The latest rumor from AppleInsider suggests that the cheaper version of iPhone is expected to have the same 4-inch display as the iPhone 5.
Meanwhile, Ming-Chi Kuo of KGI Securities has told AppleInsider that Apple had decided the specifications for the low-cost iPhone back in 2011, but it suddenly changed as the market shifted towards big-screen devices.
He said that the low-cost iPhone model will have a "super-thin plastic casing mixed with glass fiber." He also expects that the device's thickness to be between 0.4 and 0.6 millimetres.
"We expect Apple will introduce its new iPhones and iOS7 in June, and start shipping the new iPhones (5S and low-cost model) in the FDD version in July. Both dates are earlier than last year's roadmap. We attribute this to: (1) an effort to avoid repeating the fatal mistake of last year of the delayed iPhone 5 launch, which gave competitors room to grab market share; and (2) the new iPhones this year are mainly designed on the basis of the current iPhone 5, which suggests development time could be reduced," Kuo said separately.
According to Kuo, the iPhone 5S will feature a fingerprint scanner for security just below the home button. This feature will allow users to unlock the screen after scanning their fingerprint. A similar feature is already available on laptops but implementing the fingerprint security in the next iPhone would be the first feature of its kind in the smartphone segment.
In an earlier report, a Japanese blog, Macotakara cited that Foxconn has begun "partial production" of iPhone 5 successor and is being manufactured on the same production line as the iPhone 5. The blog also states that the information came from "reliable sources" and the same source has also revealed that the Japanese carrier provider - NTT Docomo is cutting back orders for Android devices in order to put up the next iPhone.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Revealed: Vladimir Putin Plotting To Invade Europe – Report
- IKEA Black Friday 2014 Ad Includes Discounts On Home Furnishings, Appliances, Kitchen Designs, Beds, Sofas, Mattresses And Toys
- Australian and Other Select Earth Locations Hold Proofs Life Once Existed On Mars – Report
- Samsung Galaxy S6 Will Shatter Records with 64-Bit Snapdragon, 21MP Camera and Bendable Design
- Lowe's Black Friday 2014 Deals Include Up To 40% Off On Select Major Appliances, Plus Free Shipping For Orders Of $19 Or More
- Bill Clinton At It Again, Caught By Camera In Jerusalem Peeking At Woman’s Breast
- Walmart Canada Black Friday 2014 Ad For Nov. 28, 2014 Up To Dec. 1, 2014 Includes Savings On The iPad Mini 16GB And The Beats Solo HD Drenched Headphones