Airbus Hits, Boeing Misses In Dogfight Over Lion Air $20 Billion Deal
By J.J. McGrath | March 18, 2013 12:05 PM EST
The Airbus unit of EADS NV (EPA:EAD) apparently has bested the Boeing Co. (NYSE:BA) in landing a megadeal with the Indonesian budget carrier Lion Air that could be worth about €15.3 billion ($20.0 billion).
French President Francois Hollande will be at a ceremonial deal-signing Monday, when it is anticipated Lion Air will announce its purchase of more than 200 aircraft in the A320 series, according to Agence France-Presse via Google. AFP cited as its primary source the Paris-based financial newspaper Les Echos.
Neither Airbus nor the president's office would confirm the deal, AFP noted, but the news agency pointed out the president's office said in a statement earlier Sunday that Hollande would host Airbus CEO Fabrice Bregier to celebrate the signing of "a major industrial agreement" Monday. Score one for Les Echos.
The meeting is planned for 10 a.m. GMT (6 a.m. EDT) at the presidential palace.
Based on the Airbus catalog in January, AFP said the standard A320 model is priced at $91.5 million apiece, while the more fuel-efficient A320neo model is priced at more than $100 million each.
News of the apparent Airbus deal with Lion Air comes two days after the aerospace manufacturer announced Turkish Airlines, the largest airline in Turkey, has signed a contract for as many as 117 aircraft in the A320 series: 53 A321neo, 25 A321ceo, and four A320neo, as well as options on 35 A321neo. This order could be worth between $9.3 billion and $15.5 billion, AFP reported.
Airbus was outsold by Boeing in 2012 for the first time in six years, and the former trails the latter again this year, according to monthly data cited by Reuters.
Of course, these monthly data do not yet include the Airbus deals struck this week.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Pope Francis Meets Sudanese Woman Who Was Spared Death for Apostasy (PHOTOS)
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MH17: King Williem-Alexander, Queen Maxima Hold Solemn Reception Ceremony for Victims
- Jennifer Lawrence & Nicholas Hoult Allegedly Split: Mad Max Actor Cheats with Kristen Stewart & Riley Keough - Reports
- Transfer News: FC Barcelona Shockingly Sign Valencia Defender [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Fast Food Meat Scandal: McDonald’s Suspend Nuggets and McSpicy Chicken Filets
- Air New Zealand Flies Boeing 787-9 Dreamliner
- Malaysia Airlines Considers Changing Name After MH370 and MH17 Tragedies
- Solution to Your Old Unwanted Phones Comes with MobileMuster Scheme
- IBM Named Leader in Worldwide Managed Security Services
- Apple iPhone 6 on Two Confirmed Release Dates, New Parts Leaked Suggesting Bigger iPhone to Come
- Xiaomi Mi4 vs OnePlusOne vs Nexus 5: Mi4 is the ‘Perfect’ Phone
- Israeli Women Stripping Naked for IDF Soldiers
- Google Nexus 6, 8 with Android L on Release Date Promises Killer Mobile Device Experience
- HTC One M8 Android 4.4.3 KitKat Update Roll Out, Introducing the HTC One Remix
- Shocking Video of Pedigree Dog Culling in Bali Emerges [Video]
- Sony Xperia Z3 Specs Leaked with More Killer Features Ahead of Samsung Galaxy Note 4, iPhone 6