Airbus Hits, Boeing Misses In Dogfight Over Lion Air $20 Billion Deal
By J.J. McGrath | March 18, 2013 12:05 PM EST
The Airbus unit of EADS NV (EPA:EAD) apparently has bested the Boeing Co. (NYSE:BA) in landing a megadeal with the Indonesian budget carrier Lion Air that could be worth about €15.3 billion ($20.0 billion).
French President Francois Hollande will be at a ceremonial deal-signing Monday, when it is anticipated Lion Air will announce its purchase of more than 200 aircraft in the A320 series, according to Agence France-Presse via Google. AFP cited as its primary source the Paris-based financial newspaper Les Echos.
Neither Airbus nor the president's office would confirm the deal, AFP noted, but the news agency pointed out the president's office said in a statement earlier Sunday that Hollande would host Airbus CEO Fabrice Bregier to celebrate the signing of "a major industrial agreement" Monday. Score one for Les Echos.
The meeting is planned for 10 a.m. GMT (6 a.m. EDT) at the presidential palace.
Based on the Airbus catalog in January, AFP said the standard A320 model is priced at $91.5 million apiece, while the more fuel-efficient A320neo model is priced at more than $100 million each.
News of the apparent Airbus deal with Lion Air comes two days after the aerospace manufacturer announced Turkish Airlines, the largest airline in Turkey, has signed a contract for as many as 117 aircraft in the A320 series: 53 A321neo, 25 A321ceo, and four A320neo, as well as options on 35 A321neo. This order could be worth between $9.3 billion and $15.5 billion, AFP reported.
Airbus was outsold by Boeing in 2012 for the first time in six years, and the former trails the latter again this year, according to monthly data cited by Reuters.
Of course, these monthly data do not yet include the Airbus deals struck this week.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kristen Stewart Moving On With Nicholas Hoult, Jennifer Lawrence Dating Chris Martin – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Dating Reports: Jennifer Lawrence Vs Gwyneth Paltrow [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton Suffocated in Kensington Palace, Queen Elizabeth Reported War With The Duchess [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Everything To Know [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Saudi Arabia: Brothers Beheaded For Smuggling Marijuana Into The Kingdom
- ISIS: More Journalists Beheading To Come After James Foley and Steven Sotloff [Video]
- Moto X+1 is Likely Nexus 6 Template; Motorola Shamu is 1st Android Silver with Snapdragon 810 – Reports
- ISIS Posts Graphic Beheading Video of US Journalist James Foley
- James Foley’s Executioner Has British Accent—A Chilling Reminder That ISIS Has Foreign Members
- Nexus 6 Release Date Dilemma with Motorola Shamu Details Pointing to Better Smartphone and Killer Features
- iPhone 6 Release Date Remains On Course for Sept-Oct 2014 as Apple Delays iWatch Debut to 2015