62 Arrested in Nuneaton As Violence Flares Ahead of Football Match
By Tom Porter | March 17, 2013 9:30 PM EST
Riot police arrested more than 60 people when violence flared ahead of a football match between Nuneaton Town and Lincoln City on Saturday 16 March.
Officers from Warwickshire Police were called at 10.30am to respond to reports of trouble in several pubs in Nuneaton town centre.
Police from the West Mercia and West Midlands forces and British Transport Police also took part in the operation, with a source telling the Coventry Telegraph that violence had been expected following a tip-off.
There were no injuries and 62 people were arrested.
Chief Inspector Adrian Knight of Warwickshire Police told ITV News: "Police officers responded to reports of disorder at a number of public houses in the town, and were deployed in full protective equipment for their own safety.
"PSUs (police support units) from three forces were all deployed and were successful in containing the disorder and protecting the safety and well-being of the general public.
"It has been a particularly challenging day. It was important to take a positive approach from the start of the operation and as a result of that, a significant number of people have been arrested for serious offences and will now be processed."
Nuneaton Town Chief Executive Ian Neale told ITV that police went to The Granby pub in the town centre to escort genuine fans to the non-league fixture, but only three were interested in going.
"They were allowed to leave the pub to take a taxi to the ground, which is two miles away from where the arrests were made.
"The Boro is a family club and people who are looking for trouble are not welcome at our ground. Anyone found guilty of any offences today will be banned from the ground for life."
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Mayweather vs. Pacquiao Purse Split: $100M For American, $60M For Filipino— Report
- Amir Khan Addresses Roach’s Comments That Pacquiao Used To Knock Out The Bolton-Born Boxer During Sparring Sessions
- Boxing Analyst John Scully Says Floyd Mayweather Is Slipping But Manny Pacquiao Won’t Win In Super Fight In 2015
- Meet Paige VanZant, The Next UFC Sensation In The Women's Division
- Michael Schumacher Condition: Manager Sabine Kehm Says The 7-Time World Champion Is Making ‘Progress Appropriate To The Severity Of His Situation’
- Russia Is Ready for Shooting War, Will Likely Win Looming Nuclear Showdown with U.S. – Report
- Microsoft Band Runs Out Of Stock, But Offers $10 Gift Voucher To Wait-Listed Customers
- Google Joins Forces with GoPro Inc with New Google Maps Focusing on Destination
- Target Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Ad Released For Nov. 26, 2014 Includes Deals On Toys, HDTVs And Video Games Such As ‘FIFA 15’ And ‘NHL 15’ For Xbox 360 [WATCH VIDEO]
- 16GB iPhone 6 for $99 at Sam’s Club is the Best 2014 Black Friday Deal Around
- Lumia Update Will Come Soon Confirms Microsoft
- Nuclear War: Putin Certain To Launch Battle To Avoid Corruption Charges, Whistleblower Claims