62 Arrested in Nuneaton As Violence Flares Ahead of Football Match
By Tom Porter | March 17, 2013 9:30 PM EST
Riot police arrested more than 60 people when violence flared ahead of a football match between Nuneaton Town and Lincoln City on Saturday 16 March.
Officers from Warwickshire Police were called at 10.30am to respond to reports of trouble in several pubs in Nuneaton town centre.
Police from the West Mercia and West Midlands forces and British Transport Police also took part in the operation, with a source telling the Coventry Telegraph that violence had been expected following a tip-off.
There were no injuries and 62 people were arrested.
Chief Inspector Adrian Knight of Warwickshire Police told ITV News: "Police officers responded to reports of disorder at a number of public houses in the town, and were deployed in full protective equipment for their own safety.
"PSUs (police support units) from three forces were all deployed and were successful in containing the disorder and protecting the safety and well-being of the general public.
"It has been a particularly challenging day. It was important to take a positive approach from the start of the operation and as a result of that, a significant number of people have been arrested for serious offences and will now be processed."
Nuneaton Town Chief Executive Ian Neale told ITV that police went to The Granby pub in the town centre to escort genuine fans to the non-league fixture, but only three were interested in going.
"They were allowed to leave the pub to take a taxi to the ground, which is two miles away from where the arrests were made.
"The Boro is a family club and people who are looking for trouble are not welcome at our ground. Anyone found guilty of any offences today will be banned from the ground for life."
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Jules Bianchi Latest Update: F1 Driver's Father Says Son In A Desperate Situation
- Manny Pacquiao Chasing Floyd Mayweather Jr. Because Of Money But Says Undefeated American Is Afraid Of Filipino - Analysts
- Floyd Mayweather Trains Justin Bieber In The Boxing Ring
- Jules Bianchi Latest Update: Driver's Mother Says People 'Shirking Responsibility' About The Accident
- Novak Djokovic Aims For World No. 1 Rank In 2015, Becker Says
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date Likely this October 2014 with Pangu not Evad3rs Firming Up as Creator
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- Top 4 Free-To-Download Apps for Fuller iPhone 6, 6 Plus Experience
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu
- Battery Saving Android 5.0 Lollipop Feature Extends The Battery Life Of Your Android Device By 90 Minutes And Displays Orange Bar While Power Saving Mode Is On
- Apple Inc. (AAPL) Stock Set to Soar Beyond $100 Despite Decline After New iPad Launch
- Russia Beefs Up Gold Reserves To Offset Heat of Sanctions And Undercut Dollar