62 Arrested in Nuneaton As Violence Flares Ahead of Football Match
By Tom Porter | March 17, 2013 9:30 PM EST
Riot police arrested more than 60 people when violence flared ahead of a football match between Nuneaton Town and Lincoln City on Saturday 16 March.
Officers from Warwickshire Police were called at 10.30am to respond to reports of trouble in several pubs in Nuneaton town centre.
Police from the West Mercia and West Midlands forces and British Transport Police also took part in the operation, with a source telling the Coventry Telegraph that violence had been expected following a tip-off.
There were no injuries and 62 people were arrested.
Chief Inspector Adrian Knight of Warwickshire Police told ITV News: "Police officers responded to reports of disorder at a number of public houses in the town, and were deployed in full protective equipment for their own safety.
"PSUs (police support units) from three forces were all deployed and were successful in containing the disorder and protecting the safety and well-being of the general public.
"It has been a particularly challenging day. It was important to take a positive approach from the start of the operation and as a result of that, a significant number of people have been arrested for serious offences and will now be processed."
Nuneaton Town Chief Executive Ian Neale told ITV that police went to The Granby pub in the town centre to escort genuine fans to the non-league fixture, but only three were interested in going.
"They were allowed to leave the pub to take a taxi to the ground, which is two miles away from where the arrests were made.
"The Boro is a family club and people who are looking for trouble are not welcome at our ground. Anyone found guilty of any offences today will be banned from the ground for life."
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Rafael Nadal Back In Action To Target Novak Djokovic At China Open
- Bruce Jenner Says Lamar Odom Should Follow His Heart If He Wants To Get Back Together With Khloe Kardashian
- Maria Sharapova On Relationship With Grigor Dimitrov: ‘Everything Is Great’; Dimitrov Was Present At Sharapova’s First Round Match In China
- Green Bay Packers Vs. Chicago Bears Live Streaming Info And Preview
- Grigor Dimitrov Turns To Novak Djokovic For Love Advice; Dimitrov and Sharapova At The 2014 China Open
- Forget Nexus 6 Release Date, Android Phones Will Soon Showcase Pure Google Apps & Features
- Boxing News 2014: Social Media War Between Boxers Continues As Pacquiao Repeats Comment That Mayweather Acts Like Uneducated Person, While Ignoring ‘Miss Pac Man’ Post
- Galaxy Note 4 Pre Order Starts in the US, Get Samsung Note Ahead of October 14 Release
- $249.99 Motorola Moto 360 Smartwatch's First Promo Out; 'Stone Leather' Replaces 'Gray Leather' - Available In BestBuy [Watch Video]
- BlackBerry Passport Sold Out As Preorders Reached 200,000
- iOS 8 And iOS 8.0.2 Security Flaw Revealed, Anyone Can Easily Bypass Touch ID And Passcode Security Features
- Australia Cracks Down On International Money Laundering Syndicate