Install Official Android 4.1.2 XWLSJ Jelly Bean Update on Galaxy S2 I9100 [GUIDE]
By Vinod Yalburgi | March 17, 2013 7:38 PM EST
Samsung recently released its latest Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean update for the international variant of its Galaxy S2 for Russian users via official XWLSJ firmware. The firmware reportedly fixes bug issues found in the previous build and brings a few notable feature enhancements: Ink Effect On Lockscreen, 4.2 Keyboard with Swipe feature and a new customisable notifications panel.
The XWLSJ firmware is completely unbranded and can be installed on any international version of Galaxy S2. It is now available for download through Samsung KIES and can be installed manually using our detailed step-by-step guide given below.
New Features of Official Android 4.1.2 XWLSJ Jelly Bean Update
Here is the complete list of new features supported by this ROM:
- Buttery Smooth Performance & Great Stability (Thanks to Project Butter)
- Full User Interface Revamp (Same UI as of the Galaxy S3 and Galaxy Note 2)
- TouchWiz Nature UX
- Samsung's S Cloud services
- New Lockscreen With Many Customization Options
- New Features like Direct Call, Smart Stay and Pop-up Play
- New Widgets (From Galaxy S III)
- Free 50GB Dropbox Storage
- 2 Home screen modes
- NewNotificationbar With MoreNotificationToggles
- Google Now
Key Points to Note
- XWLSJ official firmware and the instructions provided in this guide are applicable to the international variant Galaxy S2 I9100 model only. It will not work on any other device. Verify the device's model number by navigating to Settings > About Phone.
- Back up important data and settings on the phone using one of the recommended custom recovery tools such as ClockworkMod (CWM) or TWRP, as it creates a complete image of the existing phone setup.
- Make sure that the correct USB drivers are installed for Galaxy S2 on the computer (download Samsung Galaxy S2 I9100 USB drivers).
- Verify that USB Debugging mode is enabled on the phone by navigating to Settings > Developer Options (if the device is running Android 4.0 or later) or go to Settings > Applications > Development (if the phone is running Android 2.3 or earlier).
- Ensure that the phone has at least 80 percent battery charge.
- Double check to ensure that the device is unlocked (not locked to a specific carrier).
- The instructions provided in this guide are meant for reference purpose only. IBTimes UK will not be held liable if the device is damaged during or after the official firmware installation. Users are advised to proceed at their own risk.
How to Install Official Android 4.1.2 XWLSJ Jelly Bean Update on Galaxy S2 I9100
Step 1 - Download official Android 4.1.2 I9100XWLSJ firmware for Galaxy S2 on the computer and extract the zip file.
Step 2 - Download ODIN v1.85 which is required to install the official update on Samsung Galaxy S2 I9100.
Step 3 - Turn off the phone and boot it into Download Mode. To do so, press and hold the Volume Down and Home buttons together, and then tap the Power button until the construction Android robot icon with a triangle appears on screen. Hit the Power button again to progress into Download Mode.
Step 4 - Launch ODIN on computer and connect the phone to it while the phone is still in Download Mode.
Step 5 - When the phone connects successfully, one of the ID: COM boxes indicates yellow with the corresponding COM port number. This step may be time-consuming. So, please be patient.
Step 6 - Choose the necessary files to flash the firmware on phone, which can be found among the extracted files in Step 1.
- Click the 'PDA' checkbox and choose the file named '.tar' or '.md5'.
- Select the 'Phone' checkbox and choose the file named 'MODEM'. Ignore it if there is no such file.
- Tap the 'CSC' checkbox and choose the file named 'CSC'. Ignore it if such file is missing.
- Finally, choose the 'PIT' checkbox and select the .pit file. Ignore this step if such file is absent.
Step 7 - In ODIN, enable Auto Reboot and F. Reset Time options. But, the Re-Partition option must be checked ONLY if a .PIT file was chosen in the previous step.
Step 8 - Hit Start button in ODIN and the official firmware installation process will begin. It would take just a few minutes to complete.
Step 9 - Once the firmware installation is done, the phone will reboot. Finally, when the home screen appears, disconnect the phone from computer.
Samsung Galaxy S2 is now updated to latest Android 4.1.2 XWLSJ Jelly Bean official firmware. Go to Settings > About Phone to verify what firmware build has been installed.
Also, check out our step-by-step guide to Root Galaxy S2 I9100 Running on Official Android 4.1.2 XWLSJ Jelly Bean Firmware
[Source: Team Android]
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail: