Canada No More Among Top 10 ‘Most Developed’ Countries
By Tendar Tsering | March 15, 2013 9:48 PM EST
Canada this year was pushed out of the top ten countries listed as "developed" by the United Nation's human development index.
Every year, the organization reviews a country's performance in the field of education, health and income of the public. According to the 2013 report, Canada stands in the 11th position.
"I think it's really sad to see that we've dropped so far under the Conservatives," the Canadian Press quoted deputy NDP leader Megan Leslie, as saying.
In terms of gender inequality, Canada comes into the 18th place of the United Nation's human development index's list.
"And I think it reinforces what the NDP has been saying, but also what organizations like the Conference Board of Canada have been saying, about the fact that there's a growing income inequality gap in Canada, " said Megan Leslie adding: "That gap creates serious problems, and I don't think the Conservatives have been taking it seriously."
"China has already overtaken Japan as the world's second biggest economy while lifting hundreds of millions of its people out of poverty. India is reshaping its future with new entrepreneurial creativity and social policy innovation," noted the release.
The 2013 report shows that the combined GDP of developed countries- Canada, France, Italy, Germany, the U.S. and U.K. is equal to the combined GDP of the developing countries- China, Brazil and India.
"When dozens of countries and billions of people move up the development ladder, as they are doing today, it has a direct impact on wealth creation and broader human progress in all countries and regions of the world," the report said.
The report concluded that even the countries which stand in the bottom list are also among the list of countries which made greatest improvements.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MH17: King Williem-Alexander, Queen Maxima Hold Solemn Reception Ceremony for Victims
- Jennifer Lawrence & Nicholas Hoult Allegedly Split: Mad Max Actor Cheats with Kristen Stewart & Riley Keough - Reports
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
Join the Conversation
- Apple iPhone 6 on Two Confirmed Release Dates, New Parts Leaked Suggesting Bigger iPhone to Come
- Google Nexus 6, 8 with Android L on Release Date Promises Killer Mobile Device Experience
- iPhone 6 Release Date Relevance to iOS Newbies: Specs Meaning, Price Considerations
- HTC One M8 Android 4.4.3 KitKat Update Roll Out, Introducing the HTC One Remix
- Killer Whales Gobble Japanese Whaling Crew
- The Pirate Bay Releases ‘The Mobile Bay’: Mobile Torrent Download Made Easier but Remains Illegal
- Shocking Video of Pedigree Dog Culling in Bali Emerges [Video]