Canada No More Among Top 10 ‘Most Developed’ Countries
By Tendar Tsering | March 15, 2013 9:48 PM EST
Canada this year was pushed out of the top ten countries listed as "developed" by the United Nation's human development index.
Every year, the organization reviews a country's performance in the field of education, health and income of the public. According to the 2013 report, Canada stands in the 11th position.
"I think it's really sad to see that we've dropped so far under the Conservatives," the Canadian Press quoted deputy NDP leader Megan Leslie, as saying.
In terms of gender inequality, Canada comes into the 18th place of the United Nation's human development index's list.
"And I think it reinforces what the NDP has been saying, but also what organizations like the Conference Board of Canada have been saying, about the fact that there's a growing income inequality gap in Canada, " said Megan Leslie adding: "That gap creates serious problems, and I don't think the Conservatives have been taking it seriously."
"China has already overtaken Japan as the world's second biggest economy while lifting hundreds of millions of its people out of poverty. India is reshaping its future with new entrepreneurial creativity and social policy innovation," noted the release.
The 2013 report shows that the combined GDP of developed countries- Canada, France, Italy, Germany, the U.S. and U.K. is equal to the combined GDP of the developing countries- China, Brazil and India.
"When dozens of countries and billions of people move up the development ladder, as they are doing today, it has a direct impact on wealth creation and broader human progress in all countries and regions of the world," the report said.
The report concluded that even the countries which stand in the bottom list are also among the list of countries which made greatest improvements.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- ISIS Supporters are Walking Among the Many in the United States – Report
- Airstrikes Against ISIS Has Claimed Innocent Lives In Syria, Dubbed ‘Ineffective’ By Jihadi Fighters, US Military To Ask For More Spending Money
- Australia Arrests Alleged Islamic State Financier in Melbourne: FBI Tip Off Led to Detailed Investigation
- Pentagon's Mysterious 'Space Drone' Stirs Controversy [Video]
- Hong Kong Protest in Photos, Video Captures Magnitude of Action
- Google HTC Nexus 9 Tablet October 24 Launch Date Benefits Many
- Apple iPhone 6 vs. OnePlus One: With Invitation-Only Model Rested, OnePlus One Can Be A Real Threat To iPhone 6
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Nexus 6: Which Smartphone Dominates
- MH 370 Search In Ocean To Intensify With Hi Tech Ships Joining The Plane Hunt From October
- New Windows OS Is Not Windows 9, Microsoft To Launch Windows 10 As New OS Build
- Samsung Aware Of Gap Issue On Galaxy Note 4, Mentions It As Important Manufacturing Feature In Note 4 User Manual