iPhone 6 Rumors: Apple A7 Processor Design in Final Stages?
By Jenalyn Villamarin | March 15, 2013 2:43 PM EST
Apple is reportedly busy working on the final design stages of the A7 processor for the upcoming iPhone 6. According to the DigiTimes report, Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Company (TSMC) plans to change the A7 processor production schedule on May or June 2013 while the shipments are due on Q1 of 2014.
"TSMC will utilize 14-fab to manufacture the A7 chips for Apple," the unnamed sources stated in the DigiTimes report. In another report, CNET claims that the California-based technology giant is creating their devices on TSMC's 20-nanometer process.
The CNET report reads: "Apple, in fact, is designing products now based on the TSMC's 20-nanometer process, according to sources contacted by CNET who are familiar with TSMC's plans."
The recent Apple A7 processor reports suggest that the company decided to reduce their dependence on rival company Samsung in creating the next-generation chip for the iPhone 6 smart phone. It is a known fact that Samsung is currently the exclusive manufacturer of the Apple A-series processors such as the A6 and A6X chips incorporated in the iPhone 5 and iPad 4.
It has been previously reported as well that Apple is carefully considering other processor manufacturing options including famous chip-maker Intel. However, there is no confirmation yet on the supposed Apple-Intel manufacturing deal.
Meanwhile, there is a possibility for the A7 processor to be incorporated in different Apple iOS devices first like the iPod or iPad in 2014 before finally reaching the much anticipated iPhone 6. Additionally, the Q1 2014 shipment schedule for the A7 processor predicts an iPhone 6 release date some time in the later part of the year 2014. Now, Apple enthusiasts will just have to patiently wait for iPhone 6 as the first iPhone working with the Apple A7 processor.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- In Photos, Typhoon Rammasun Blasts the Philippines
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- Windows 9 Release Date on October 2014, Not April 2015; Three Reasons to Upgrade from Windows XP and 7
- Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update for Moto X Reported With Poor Battery Life; Six Ways to Resolve the Issue
- Pokemon Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire New Pokemons Spotted and More Gym Leaders Introduced
- Destiny Beta Now into Maintenance; Xbox One Version Prepped for 1080p in Final Run
- PS4 News: Developments for Uncharted 4, The Last of Us Remastered and a Possible New PS4/PS Vita Game
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Soon Along with 2 More HTC Android Tablets – Reports
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- Apple Logo on iPhone 6 Might Double as Notification LED; Roughly 80M iPhone 6 Units Ordered Targeting Release Date—Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air