iPhone 6 Rumors: Apple A7 Processor Design in Final Stages?
By Jenalyn Villamarin | March 15, 2013 2:43 PM EST
Apple is reportedly busy working on the final design stages of the A7 processor for the upcoming iPhone 6. According to the DigiTimes report, Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Company (TSMC) plans to change the A7 processor production schedule on May or June 2013 while the shipments are due on Q1 of 2014.
"TSMC will utilize 14-fab to manufacture the A7 chips for Apple," the unnamed sources stated in the DigiTimes report. In another report, CNET claims that the California-based technology giant is creating their devices on TSMC's 20-nanometer process.
The CNET report reads: "Apple, in fact, is designing products now based on the TSMC's 20-nanometer process, according to sources contacted by CNET who are familiar with TSMC's plans."
The recent Apple A7 processor reports suggest that the company decided to reduce their dependence on rival company Samsung in creating the next-generation chip for the iPhone 6 smart phone. It is a known fact that Samsung is currently the exclusive manufacturer of the Apple A-series processors such as the A6 and A6X chips incorporated in the iPhone 5 and iPad 4.
It has been previously reported as well that Apple is carefully considering other processor manufacturing options including famous chip-maker Intel. However, there is no confirmation yet on the supposed Apple-Intel manufacturing deal.
Meanwhile, there is a possibility for the A7 processor to be incorporated in different Apple iOS devices first like the iPod or iPad in 2014 before finally reaching the much anticipated iPhone 6. Additionally, the Q1 2014 shipment schedule for the A7 processor predicts an iPhone 6 release date some time in the later part of the year 2014. Now, Apple enthusiasts will just have to patiently wait for iPhone 6 as the first iPhone working with the Apple A7 processor.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- ‘Halo: The Master Chief Collection' Xbox One Fixes And Free Gifts, Bonnie Ross Apologises For Issues
- LG G4: Speculations About The Next Big Thing For 2015
- PS4 vs. Xbox One Black Friday Sale 2014, Cyber Monday Deals: Walmart’s PS4 Bundles And Discounted Games With Gold
- ‘GTA V:' 1.19 Patch, Heists DLC Release With ‘Next Major Update’ Possible—Report
- ‘GTA 5 Online’ Gets Errors Despite Patches; Devs Update Fans On Online Heists
- Russia Is Ready for Shooting War, Will Likely Win Looming Nuclear Showdown with U.S. – Report
- Microsoft Band Runs Out Of Stock, But Offers $10 Gift Voucher To Wait-Listed Customers
- Black Friday And Cyber Monday Sale 2014: AT&T's Cricket Wireless Offers Discounts On Lumia 1320, Galaxy S5, S4 And HTC Desire 510
- ISIS Kidnaps Iraqi Defence Minister’s Family, Executes Female Parliament Candidates
- Google Joins Forces with GoPro Inc with New Google Maps Focusing on Destination
- Target Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Ad Released For Nov. 26, 2014 Includes Deals On Toys, HDTVs And Video Games Such As ‘FIFA 15’ And ‘NHL 15’ For Xbox 360 [WATCH VIDEO]
- 16GB iPhone 6 for $99 at Sam’s Club is the Best 2014 Black Friday Deal Around