iPhone 6 Rumors: Apple A7 Processor Design in Final Stages?
By Jenalyn Villamarin | March 15, 2013 2:43 PM EST
Apple is reportedly busy working on the final design stages of the A7 processor for the upcoming iPhone 6. According to the DigiTimes report, Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Company (TSMC) plans to change the A7 processor production schedule on May or June 2013 while the shipments are due on Q1 of 2014.
"TSMC will utilize 14-fab to manufacture the A7 chips for Apple," the unnamed sources stated in the DigiTimes report. In another report, CNET claims that the California-based technology giant is creating their devices on TSMC's 20-nanometer process.
The CNET report reads: "Apple, in fact, is designing products now based on the TSMC's 20-nanometer process, according to sources contacted by CNET who are familiar with TSMC's plans."
The recent Apple A7 processor reports suggest that the company decided to reduce their dependence on rival company Samsung in creating the next-generation chip for the iPhone 6 smart phone. It is a known fact that Samsung is currently the exclusive manufacturer of the Apple A-series processors such as the A6 and A6X chips incorporated in the iPhone 5 and iPad 4.
It has been previously reported as well that Apple is carefully considering other processor manufacturing options including famous chip-maker Intel. However, there is no confirmation yet on the supposed Apple-Intel manufacturing deal.
Meanwhile, there is a possibility for the A7 processor to be incorporated in different Apple iOS devices first like the iPod or iPad in 2014 before finally reaching the much anticipated iPhone 6. Additionally, the Q1 2014 shipment schedule for the A7 processor predicts an iPhone 6 release date some time in the later part of the year 2014. Now, Apple enthusiasts will just have to patiently wait for iPhone 6 as the first iPhone working with the Apple A7 processor.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Celebrities Who Got Pregnant Using IVF: Busting the Myths About IVF
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
Join the Conversation
- GTA V Online: Money-Glitch Ban Goes After Cheaters as a New Zombie DLC Leak is Spotted
- Sony Xperia Z2 Tablet 17.1.2.A.0.314 Firmware Update to Improve Touch Screen and Charging Speed
- Nokia Lumia 630 vs. Sony Xperia M Specs and Price Comparison in Australia
- Sony Xperia T3 vs. HTC Desire 816 Specs and Price Comparison in Australia
- OnePlus One vs. iPhone 5S Specs and Price Comparison in Australia
- Freshly Leaked Apple iPad Air 2 Cases Confirm Touch ID Sensor; Release Date, Limited Specs and Price Listed
- Moto X Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide: Schedule and How to Install
- Top 4 Reasons Why iPhone 6 Will Hit Big Soon After its Sept 2014 Release Date
- Top Surprising Features Of iOS 8
- Twin Malaysia Airlines MH370, MH17 Aviation Disasters Create Phobia Among Travellers
- OnePlus One vs. Moto X+1 – Early Specifications, Release Date and Price Faceoff
- 2014 Ebola Outbreak: ‘Out of control… and Can Get Worse'; Asky Airline Stops Flying to Liberia, Sierra Leone; Liberia Closes Schools