iPhone 6 Rumors: Apple A7 Processor Design in Final Stages?
By Jenalyn Villamarin | March 15, 2013 2:43 PM EST
Apple is reportedly busy working on the final design stages of the A7 processor for the upcoming iPhone 6. According to the DigiTimes report, Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Company (TSMC) plans to change the A7 processor production schedule on May or June 2013 while the shipments are due on Q1 of 2014.
"TSMC will utilize 14-fab to manufacture the A7 chips for Apple," the unnamed sources stated in the DigiTimes report. In another report, CNET claims that the California-based technology giant is creating their devices on TSMC's 20-nanometer process.
The CNET report reads: "Apple, in fact, is designing products now based on the TSMC's 20-nanometer process, according to sources contacted by CNET who are familiar with TSMC's plans."
The recent Apple A7 processor reports suggest that the company decided to reduce their dependence on rival company Samsung in creating the next-generation chip for the iPhone 6 smart phone. It is a known fact that Samsung is currently the exclusive manufacturer of the Apple A-series processors such as the A6 and A6X chips incorporated in the iPhone 5 and iPad 4.
It has been previously reported as well that Apple is carefully considering other processor manufacturing options including famous chip-maker Intel. However, there is no confirmation yet on the supposed Apple-Intel manufacturing deal.
Meanwhile, there is a possibility for the A7 processor to be incorporated in different Apple iOS devices first like the iPod or iPad in 2014 before finally reaching the much anticipated iPhone 6. Additionally, the Q1 2014 shipment schedule for the A7 processor predicts an iPhone 6 release date some time in the later part of the year 2014. Now, Apple enthusiasts will just have to patiently wait for iPhone 6 as the first iPhone working with the Apple A7 processor.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- 'Dragon Age Keep' Guide: How To Use And Set Up Background Story For 'Dragon Age Inquisition'
- Google Nexus 6 Sold-Out Inventory: Android 5.0, Motorola-Nexus Branding, Network Carriers, Competitive Price
- ‘Destiny': Apocalypse-Themed Sparrows, Pumpkin Head Weapons As Contents For Halloween
- The Xperia Z3: A Review On Sony’s New Flagship
- Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Developer Edition Now Available At $699.99, Without Instalment Plan Options
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- NATO: Russia's Been Conducting Too Many Military Flights Over Europe
- Apple iPhone 6 Plus vs Motorola Droid Turbo: Comparsion On Processor, Software And Battery
- Australia Special Forces Await 'Delayed' Iraqi Visas Before Joining ISIS Fight
- ISIS Has Been Equipped With Advanced Anti-Aircraft Missiles
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs Motorola Droid Turbo – S-Pen Is Note’s 4 USP But Droid Turbo Can Outshine With Larger Battery
- 8 Important Things to Consider Before Buying or Upgrading to iPad Air 2