Galaxy S3 I9300 users can now enjoy the Nexus-styled Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean interface (UI), with due credit to the release of SuperNexus 2.0 Build 3 ROM from TeamHacksung. The custom ROM update brings pure (stock) Android Open Source Project (AOSP) experience to the user without TouchWiz UI on the smartphone.
Galaxy S3 I9300 Tastes Nexus-Styled Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean with SuperNexus 2.0 Build 3 ROM
SuperNexus 2.0 Build 3 ROM is bloatware free, as third-party apps and Samsung stock apps have been removed from the "cooked" ROM to make it run lighter, faster and yet smoother than any other Jelly Bean ROM.
Android 4.2.2 SuperNexus 2.0 Build 3 Custom ROM Details
- Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean (JOP40D - Android-4.2.2_r1)
- Latest CM Kernel
- All Jelly Bean Features and Apps (Nothing excluded from AOSP)
- No Visual Changes
- StockJelly Bean Look and Feel
New Features of SuperNexus 2.0 Build 3 ROM
- Fully Deodexed
- Zipaligned APKs
- Rooted (Super SU)
- BusyBox Installed
- No 3rd Party App
- ZERO Bloatware
- Android Source Code vastly improved and optimized (i.e. Bionic, Dalvik, Webkit, Framework, libcore, SQlite etc)
- Official Jelly Bean Bootanimation (From Official Galaxy Nexus Android 4.2.1 Factory Image)
- Init.d Support
- Rsync Support
- UserInit Support
- Bash & Nano Support
- Native SIP/VOIP Support
- OpenSSH Support (ssh, sshd, scp, stfp)
- HSPA+ Support
- OpenVPN Support
- EXT4 File System Optimizations
- Galaxy S III Device Settings As An App
- Large APN & SPN List
- Options for switching between USB Mass Storage and MTP/PTP (On Specific Devices)
NOTE: The instructions provided in this guide are meant for reference purpose only. IBTimes UK will not be held liable for any device damage during the firmware installation. Users must proceed with caution and at their own risk.
- SuperNexus 2.0 Build 3 ROM and the instructions given in this guide are applicable for the international variant Galaxy S3 I9300 model only. Check the device's model number by navigating to Settings > About Phone.
- Take a Nandroid Backup of important data and settings on the phone using ClockworkMod (CWM) or TWRP recovery.
- Verify that the correct USB drivers are installed for Galaxy S3 on computer (download Samsung Galaxy S3 I9300 USB drivers)
- Make sure that USB Debugging mode is enabled on the phone by navigating to Settings > Developer Options (if the device is running Android 4.0 or later) or go to Settings > Applications > Development (if the phone is running Android 2.3 or earlier). Otherwise, if the device is running Android 4.2, then do the following steps:
- Go to Settings > About Phone
- Scroll down to the bottom and select Build Number
- Tap on the Build Number seven times to unlock or reveal the hidden Developer Options under Settings. Now, select the checkbox to enable USB Debugging mode under Developer Options.
- Ensure that the device is rooted with CWM Recovery installed on it.
- Verify that the phone has at least 50 percent battery charge to avoid unexpected device shutdown during firmware installation.
How to Update Galaxy S3 I9300 to Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean with SuperNexus 2.0 Build 3 ROM
Method 1: For Users Upgrading from Custom ROM except Safe Philz Kernel
1. Connect the phone to computer with micro USB cable.
2. Without extracting, copy the downloaded ROM.zip file to the phone's internal SD card.
3. Power off the phone and disconnect its USB cable from computer.
4. Press and hold Power, Volume Up and Home button together to boot the device into CWM/TWRP Recovery.
5. In Recovery menu, perform a full Data Wipe/Factory Reset to avoid crashing and ROM compatibility issues. Just skip this step, if the device is being upgraded from the previous SuperNexus ROM version. NOTE: Use volume keys to navigate and Power key to select an option in CWM Recovery mode or if running TWRP, then use touchscreen to navigate in Recovery mode.
6. Choose Wipe Cache Partition from the Recovery menu and hit Yes to confirm. Then go to advanced option, perform Wipe Dalvik Cache and click Yes to confirm.
7. In the main Recovery menu, choose Install zip from SDcard and click Choose zip from SDcard. Now, browse and select the SuperNexus 2.0 ROM zip file that was copied earlier to the phone in step 2 and hit Yes to install.
8. Return to main menu in Recovery and repeat step 7, but choose Google Apps file instead of ROM zip to install Google Apps package.
9. Once both the ROM and Google Apps are installed, return to Recovery's main menu and tap on Reboot System Now to reboot the phone into the newly installed firmware.
10. The first boot up may take some time (about five minutes). So, leave it alone.
Method 2: For Users Upgrading from Stock or Official ROM
1. Root the device and ensure CWM or TWRP recovery is installed.
2. Download Root Checker app from Google Play Store to verify the device's root status.
3. Press and hold Power, Volume Up and Home button together to enter Recovery mode or ClockworkMod Recovery and check if the recovery software is installed correctly.
4. Connect the phone to computer with micro USB cable.
5. Without extracting, copy the downloaded ROM.zip file to the phone's internal SD card.
6. Power off the phone and disconnect its USB cable from computer.
7. Now, once again press and hold Power, Volume Up and Home button together to boot the device into CWM or TWRP Recovery.
8. In Recovery menu, do a full Wipe Data/Factory Reset to avoid crashes and ROM compatibility issues. Just skip this step if upgrading from earlier version of the same ROM. NOTE: If running CWM Recovery, use Volume keys to navigate and Power key to select an option in Recovery mode. Otherwise for TWRP, use touchscreen to navigate or select an option in Recovery mode.
9. Perform Wipe Cache partition from the recovery menu and hit Yes to confirm. Then go to advanced option and perform Wipe Dalvik Cache and click Yes to confirm.
10. In Recovery, choose Install Zip from SDcard and click Choose Zip from SDcard. Then browse and select the ROM zip file from the downloaded folder location and click Yes to install.
11. Return to the Recovery main menu and repeat Step 7. But, choose the Google Apps file instead of ROM zip and click Yes to install Google Apps as well.
12. Once both the ROM and Google Apps are installed, return to the main menu in Recovery and hit Reboot System Now.
13. The phone will now reboot automatically and the first boot up may take some time (about five minutes). So, leave it alone.
Samsung Galaxy S3 I9300 is now updated to the latest Android 4.2.2 SuperNexus 2.0 Build 3 ROM. Go to Settings > About Phone to verify the firmware version installed.
Also, check out our step-by-step guide: How to Update Galaxy S2 I9100G to Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean with SuperNexus 2.0 Build 3 ROM
[Source: The Android ROM]
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail: