Lakers News: When Will Jordan Hill Return? Can The Lakers Add Another Player?
March 14, 2013 6:23 AM EST
The Los Angeles Lakers were quiet at the deadline, making no moves to shake up their team.
Now, it appears that the club will stand pat for the rest of the season.
A Lakers team spokesman has announced that the organization will let their disabled player exception expire. L.A. applied for the $1.8 million exception in January when it learned that Jordan Hill would miss the rest of the season.
It was first though that a hip injury would keep Hill out for only a short while, but it was later discovered that he would need surgery. The former first-round draft pick averaged 6.7 points and 5.7 rebounds in 29 games with Los Angeles.
By not using the exception, the Lakers won’t be able to use the $1.8 million to sign a free agent. They could have used it in a trade, before the Feb. 21 deadline passed.
With just over a month remaining in the season, it’s unlikely that the Lakers will add a new piece. The most they can spend in free agency is their $1.59 million mid-level exception. They can also sign a player to a 10-day contract, but there aren’t many available that would make a significant impact.
Mike D’Antoni had reportedly been interested in signing Raja Bell, who was recently released by the Utah Jazz. The 36-year-old wouldn’t be eligible to play in the postseason, since he was let go after March 1. His inability to help the Lakers in the playoffs might rule him out as a potential signee.
At this point, L.A. might not be interested in shaking up their roster. The club is playing better than they have all season, winning 17 of their last 23 games. The Lakers victory in Dwight Howard’s return to Orlando put them a half-game ahead of the Jazz for the eighth seed in the Western Conference.
Towards the end of the month, Los Angeles should be getting back a player that would have much more impact than any potential free agent. Pau Gasol continues to rehab from his foot injury, and will likely return before the end of the month.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kate Middleton Suffocated in Kensington Palace, Queen Elizabeth Reported War With The Duchess [PHOTOS]
- Brad Pitt Still in Love with Ex-Wife Jennifer Aniston, Staying with Angelina Jolie for Sake of Kids, Claims Brad's Psychic
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Everything To Know [PHOTOS]
- Miranda Kerr Broke Her Silence: Not Pregnant With James Packard’s Baby [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Trading Jeremy Lin Was A Huge Mistake For Houston Rockets
- Floyd Sr Already Endorsing Manny Pacquiao vs. Floyd Fight After Anticipated Victory Over Maidana
- Top 10 Highest Paid Tennis Players
- Manny Pacquiao To Gauge KO Power Against Chris Algieri
- Dallas Cowboys Have Worst Linebackers in History, Tony Romo To Miss Games Again – Gerry Fraley
- James Foley Beheading Video Has Play-Acting Portions – Video Experts Say
- Apple iPhone 6 Release Date, iPhone 6C or 6L Anticipation: Three Things Should Matter To New Phone Shoppers
- Upcoming Sony Xperia Z3 With Dual-SIM Support Gets Approved In China; Full Specifications Revealed; Amber-Coloured Xperia Z3 Tipped
- More Nexus 8/Nexus 9 Release Confirmed with More Leaks and Out of Stock Nexus 7 and 10
- James Foley: Release of Beheading Video by ISIS Meant to Attract More Recruits to Join the Cause – Intelligence
- 2015 Ford Mustang: Right-Hand Drive Pony Car To Be Available In Australia Next Year
- Google Works on Powering Up Chromebook Line to Kill Competitors, Nvidia Joins with Acer for New Killer Laptop