Lakers News: When Will Jordan Hill Return? Can The Lakers Add Another Player?
March 14, 2013 6:23 AM EST
The Los Angeles Lakers were quiet at the deadline, making no moves to shake up their team.
Now, it appears that the club will stand pat for the rest of the season.
A Lakers team spokesman has announced that the organization will let their disabled player exception expire. L.A. applied for the $1.8 million exception in January when it learned that Jordan Hill would miss the rest of the season.
It was first though that a hip injury would keep Hill out for only a short while, but it was later discovered that he would need surgery. The former first-round draft pick averaged 6.7 points and 5.7 rebounds in 29 games with Los Angeles.
By not using the exception, the Lakers won’t be able to use the $1.8 million to sign a free agent. They could have used it in a trade, before the Feb. 21 deadline passed.
With just over a month remaining in the season, it’s unlikely that the Lakers will add a new piece. The most they can spend in free agency is their $1.59 million mid-level exception. They can also sign a player to a 10-day contract, but there aren’t many available that would make a significant impact.
Mike D’Antoni had reportedly been interested in signing Raja Bell, who was recently released by the Utah Jazz. The 36-year-old wouldn’t be eligible to play in the postseason, since he was let go after March 1. His inability to help the Lakers in the playoffs might rule him out as a potential signee.
At this point, L.A. might not be interested in shaking up their roster. The club is playing better than they have all season, winning 17 of their last 23 games. The Lakers victory in Dwight Howard’s return to Orlando put them a half-game ahead of the Jazz for the eighth seed in the Western Conference.
Towards the end of the month, Los Angeles should be getting back a player that would have much more impact than any potential free agent. Pau Gasol continues to rehab from his foot injury, and will likely return before the end of the month.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Kate Middleton's Pregnancy Hearsays: Possible Evidence Revealed [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
- Selena Gomez Turns 22 Today, Celebrates Early without Justin Bieber: Top 12 Interesting Facts About the Singer [SEE PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- No Kevin Love to Cleveland, Andrew Wiggins to Stay with Cavaliers
- Jeremy Lin Only an ‘Expiring Contract’ in Los Angeles; Lakers Want Eric Bledsoe
- Jeremy Lin Demands More Playing Time From Lakers Next Season
- $300 Million at Stake for Floyd Mayweather vs. Manny Pacquiao Showdown
- Roger Federer is ‘The Greatest of All Time' - Novak Djokovic’s Coach Boris Becker
- iPhone 6 2014 Release Date Very Soon as Apple Orders 120M New iPhones from Foxconn – Report
- Google Nexus 6 on Release Date Will Sport 2K Display Panel & Lower Price Tag – Report
- Motorola Moto G Vs. Xiaomi Mi3 – Low in Price, High -level Features
- Sony PlayStation 4 Outsells a Resurgent Xbox One in June
- Killer Xiaomi Mi4 at $369 Likely to Come With 5.0-Inch Display, Snapdragon 801 Processor, 3GB RAM and More
- End of Times Indicators: Japan’s Mount Fuji in ‘Critical State’ to Erupt, Could Affect At Least 1.2M People
- Raining Discounts: $100 Price Cut on Moto X; LG G3 Available for $100 On-Contract; Sony Xperia Z2 on Release Date Gets $50 Price Cut (U.S.)