Lakers News: When Will Jordan Hill Return? Can The Lakers Add Another Player?
March 14, 2013 6:23 AM EST
The Los Angeles Lakers were quiet at the deadline, making no moves to shake up their team.
Now, it appears that the club will stand pat for the rest of the season.
A Lakers team spokesman has announced that the organization will let their disabled player exception expire. L.A. applied for the $1.8 million exception in January when it learned that Jordan Hill would miss the rest of the season.
It was first though that a hip injury would keep Hill out for only a short while, but it was later discovered that he would need surgery. The former first-round draft pick averaged 6.7 points and 5.7 rebounds in 29 games with Los Angeles.
By not using the exception, the Lakers won’t be able to use the $1.8 million to sign a free agent. They could have used it in a trade, before the Feb. 21 deadline passed.
With just over a month remaining in the season, it’s unlikely that the Lakers will add a new piece. The most they can spend in free agency is their $1.59 million mid-level exception. They can also sign a player to a 10-day contract, but there aren’t many available that would make a significant impact.
Mike D’Antoni had reportedly been interested in signing Raja Bell, who was recently released by the Utah Jazz. The 36-year-old wouldn’t be eligible to play in the postseason, since he was let go after March 1. His inability to help the Lakers in the playoffs might rule him out as a potential signee.
At this point, L.A. might not be interested in shaking up their roster. The club is playing better than they have all season, winning 17 of their last 23 games. The Lakers victory in Dwight Howard’s return to Orlando put them a half-game ahead of the Jazz for the eighth seed in the Western Conference.
Towards the end of the month, Los Angeles should be getting back a player that would have much more impact than any potential free agent. Pau Gasol continues to rehab from his foot injury, and will likely return before the end of the month.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
Join the Conversation
- Jeremy Lin Should Be Ready to Start for Los Angeles Lakers as Steve Nash Confirms Retirement
- Manchester United Transfer News: Arturo Vidal Leaving Juventus for the Red Devils Gaining Momentum
- Roger Federer Forced to Take Down Children's Play Area on his Property in Valbella
- WWE SummerSlam: Orton Vs Reigns Match Unexciting, Reigns 'Awful Wrestler No Charisma'
- 5 Sports Stars Who are Also Into Other Sports
- Samsung Galaxy S5 Alpha Leaks Online: Release Date, Five Features to Wait for New Smart Phone
- Freshly Leaked Apple iPad Air 2 Cases Confirm Touch ID Sensor; Release Date, Limited Specs and Price Listed
- Photos of Motorola Moto X+1 Prototype and Specs Leak Online, Release Date, Four Fresh Features Revealed
- Sony Xperia Z3: Release Date, Five Features to Expect from New Android Smart Phone
- Moto X Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide: Schedule and How to Install
- Top Surprising Features Of iOS 8
- Top 4 Reasons Why iPhone 6 Will Hit Big Soon After its Sept 2014 Release Date