Lakers News: When Will Jordan Hill Return? Can The Lakers Add Another Player?
March 14, 2013 6:23 AM EST
The Los Angeles Lakers were quiet at the deadline, making no moves to shake up their team.
Now, it appears that the club will stand pat for the rest of the season.
A Lakers team spokesman has announced that the organization will let their disabled player exception expire. L.A. applied for the $1.8 million exception in January when it learned that Jordan Hill would miss the rest of the season.
It was first though that a hip injury would keep Hill out for only a short while, but it was later discovered that he would need surgery. The former first-round draft pick averaged 6.7 points and 5.7 rebounds in 29 games with Los Angeles.
By not using the exception, the Lakers won’t be able to use the $1.8 million to sign a free agent. They could have used it in a trade, before the Feb. 21 deadline passed.
With just over a month remaining in the season, it’s unlikely that the Lakers will add a new piece. The most they can spend in free agency is their $1.59 million mid-level exception. They can also sign a player to a 10-day contract, but there aren’t many available that would make a significant impact.
Mike D’Antoni had reportedly been interested in signing Raja Bell, who was recently released by the Utah Jazz. The 36-year-old wouldn’t be eligible to play in the postseason, since he was let go after March 1. His inability to help the Lakers in the playoffs might rule him out as a potential signee.
At this point, L.A. might not be interested in shaking up their roster. The club is playing better than they have all season, winning 17 of their last 23 games. The Lakers victory in Dwight Howard’s return to Orlando put them a half-game ahead of the Jazz for the eighth seed in the Western Conference.
Towards the end of the month, Los Angeles should be getting back a player that would have much more impact than any potential free agent. Pau Gasol continues to rehab from his foot injury, and will likely return before the end of the month.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
Join the Conversation
- The Rock Reveals He And John Cena Nearly Fought Backstage [VIDEO]
- Maria Sharapova And Grigor Dimitrov Break Up News
- NFL Week 2: Kansas City Chiefs Vs. Denver Broncos Live Streaming Information And Preview
- Manny Pacquiao Begins Training Sans Freddie Roach
- Boxing News 2014: Showtime VP Favours Pacquiao As Mayweather’s Next Ring Opponent; Money May Insists Fight Should Be Over Showtime PPV Only
- iPhone 6 vs iPhone 6 Plus vs Galaxy S5 and HTC One M8: Performance, CPU and Health
- Google Release Roundup: Nexus 5 2014, Nexus 6, Nexus 8 and Android L Killer Features
- Samsung Attacks iPhone 6 Plus Through New Galaxy Note 4 Commercial: Apple Claims Imitating Galaxy Note Phablets
- iPhone 6 And IPhone 6 Plus Sold Out, New Stocks To Arrive In October
- Moto G (Gen 2) vs. Xiaomi Redmi 1S—Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Dates Imminent as Moto X Pre-Order Begins & Nexus 7 Deals Ramp Up
- Pregnant Kate Middleton May Call Off Malta Trip Due To Sickness: Royal Couple Will Move To Anmer Hall Residence