The significant feature of the root package is it can be used to root both Jelly Bean and Ice Cream Sandwich (ICS) running Galaxy S2 I9100G. Moreover, it does not increase binary counter.
Features of the root package
1) SuperSU v0.99 by Chainfire
2) Busybox v1.20.2 by Stericson
3) No yellow triangle
4) No increase in binary counter
In addition to that, the developer has also released kernel files, containing ClockworkMod (CWM) recovery, which will allow users to install CWM recovery on the their devices. Head over to the developmnet page to know more about the release.
Galaxy S2 users who wish to root their devices running on official Android 4.1.2 and install CWM recovery, may follow our step-by-step instructions guide below.
IBTimes UK reminds its readers that it will not be held liable for any damage to the device. Users are also reminded that the root file and kernel files used in the tutorial below works only with Samsung Galaxy S2 I9100G; applying these on any other variant may brick the device.
1) Install USB Driver for Samsung GalaxyS2 on the computer.
2) Ensure that USB Debugging Mode is enabled. [Press Menu>> Settings>> Applications. From there navigate and click on Development option and ensure the USB Debugging Mode is turned on.]
3) Create back-up for all the data of the phone.
4) Verify the battery of Galaxy S2 should have more than 80 per cent of charge.
5) The device should be factory unlocked.
6) Rooting the phone will void manufacturer's warranty. But users can regain warranty by unrooting the phone later.
Steps to root the Samsung Galaxy S2 I9100G on Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean
1) Download Rooting package [File name: SU-BB-Installer.Zip] for Galaxy S2 I9100G to the computer
2) Connect the phone to the computer using USB cable and copy the downloaded zip file to the external SD card of the phone
3) Unplug the USB cable from the Galaxy S2 and turn it off
4) Boot the phone into Recovery Mode. Press and hold Volume Up + Home buttons together and then press the Power button until the Samsung logo blinks twice. Now release the Power button but keep pressing the other two buttons until a black background with blue text arrives
5) Using the Volume buttons scroll down to 'apply update from external storage,' select it by pressing the Power button. Then locate the SU-BB-Installer.zip file which is saved on the SD card. Select it using the Power button and confirm installation. The process will take some time
6) Once the installation is completed, return to the recovery menu and reboot the phone by selecting 'reboot system now'
Samsung Galaxy S2 I9100G running on Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean official firmware is now rooted successfully. To ensure the root method is successful, install an app called Root Checker from Google Play Store.
Steps to install CWM Recovery on Galaxy S2 I9100G
1) Download the Blazing kernel file, that contains CWM recovery, for Galaxy S2 and save the zip file on the SD card of the phone
Download links- Link 1/Link 2/Link 3
2) Power off the phone and place the device into recovery mode. Press and hold the Volume Up + Home buttons together then press the Power button until the Samsung logo blinks for two times. Now release the Power button while keep pressing the other two buttons until a black background with blue text is seen
3) Using the Volume buttons scroll to 'apply update from external storage,' select it by pressing the Power button. Now navigate to the downloaded CWM recovery zip file which is saved on the SD card
4) Select the zip file and confirm installation. The process will take some time
5) Once the installation process is completed, return to the recovery menu and select 'reboot system now' to reboot the device
When the Galaxy S2 boots up successfully, it should be having CWM recovery installed. To ensure the device is having CWM recovery, enter recovery mode using the procedure mentioned in step-2. If 'ClockworkMod Recovery' text is seen on top of the screen, it means the recovery mode is installed.
Steps to install CWM Recovery on Galaxy S2 I9100G via Odin
1) Download the CWM recovery file with .tar extension for Galaxy S2 to the computer
Download links- Link 1/Link 2/Link 3
2) Download Odin and extract the zip file on the computer
3) Switch off the Galaxy S2. Enter into Download Mode by pressing and holding Volume Down, Home and Power buttons together for a few seconds. A screen will appear asking to press the Volume Up button, press the button to enter Download Mode
4) Open the Odin folder on the computer and run the programme by clicking the .exe file
5) Connect the phone to the computer using USB cable. Wait until Odin detects the device. Once the device is connected successfully, the ID:COM port will turn blue and an 'ADDED' text will appear at the message box
6) Verify that the 'Auto Reboot' and 'F.Reset Time options' are selected in Odin
7) In Odin, click the PDA button and select the file with .tar extension
8) Double check everything and hit the Start button in Odin to begin the installation. Once the installation process is completed, the device will reboot automatically and followed by this a 'PASS' message will arrive
Samsung Galaxy S2 I9100G should now have CWM Recovery installed on it. Users can now install custom ROMs or mod on their devices.
Click here for step-by-step guide to unroot Samsung Galaxy S2 I9100G on Android 4.1.2 via stock recovery.
[Source: Droid Views]
To contact the editor, e-mail: