Galaxy S2 I9100 Gets Android
4.2.2 Jelly bean Update via AOKP Build 5 ROM
AOKP team has recently released the latest Android 4.2.2 (Jelly Bean) based AOKP Build 5 ROM for several Android devices including the Galaxy S2 I9100. The new AOKP release reportedly fixes a memory leak issue found in Build 4 and also brings the following new features:
1) Traditional toggles instead of Tiles (Optional)
2) New Navigation Ring configuration menu
3) S Pen support for Note 2
4) Quiet Hours toggles
Key Points to Note
- AOKP Build 5 ROM and the instructions given in this guide are applicable for the international variant Galaxy S2 I9100 only. Do not attempt this procedure on any other device, as it may permanently damage or brick the device. Verify the device's model number by navigating to Settings > About Phone.
- Verify that the correct USB drivers are installed for the phone on computer (download Galaxy S2 I9100 USB drivers)
- Backup important data and settings on the device to avoid data loss during firmware installation.
- Make sure that the phone has at least 85 per cent battery charge.
- Ensure that USB Debugging mode is enabled on the device by navigating to Settings > Developer Options or Settings > Applications > Development.
- Verify that the phone is rooted with ClockworkMod (CWM) Recovery installed on it.
- The instructions provided in this guide are meant for reference purpose only. IBTimes UK will not be held liable if the device is damaged or bricked during or after the ROM installation. Users must proceed at their own risk.
How to Install Android 4.2.2 AOKP Jelly Bean MR1 Build 5 ROM on Galaxy S2 I9100
- Connect the phone to computer via USB cable.
- Without extracting, copy the downloaded AOKP Build 5 ROM to the root folder of the phone's SD card.
- Disconnect the phone from computer and then Power off the device. Wait for 5 to 6 seconds to complete the phone's power down cycle.
- Now, boot the phone into recovery mode by pressing and holding the Volume Up, Home and Power button together until the screen flashes. Then release all three buttons to boot the phone into recovery mode.
- In CWM recovery, take a Nandroid Backup of the phone's current ROM, so that it can be restored later if the new ROM fails to work or if you want to return to the original ROM. To do a backup, choose Backup and Restore and then hit Backup again on next screen. Return to the main recovery menu once backup is complete.
- Now, choose Wipe Data/Factory Reset and hit Yes on next screen to confirm. Wait for a few minutes until the data wipe process completes. Then return to CWM recovery menu and perform Wipe Cache Partition and then Wipe Dalvik Cache.
- Select Install Zip from SD card and click Choose Zip from SD card. Navigate to aokp_hercules_jb-mr1_build-5.zip file that you copied earlier to the phone in Step 2 and choose it by tapping the Power button. Confirm the ROM installation by choosing Yes on next screen and the installation will begin.
- After the ROM installation is complete, repeat previous step but select Google Apps file instead of ROM zip to install Google Apps package.
- Once Google Apps is installed, return to the main recovery menu and hit Reboot System Now to reboot the phone into AOKP JB-MR1 Build 5 custom ROM. The first boot may take some time after the new ROM installation. So, leave it alone.
Galaxy S2 I9100 is now running on the latest Android 4.2.2 JB-MR1 AOKP Build 5 ROM. Go to Settings > About Phone to verify the firmware version installed.
Also, check out our step-by-step guide to Install Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean Update on Galaxy S2 I9100 via SuperNexus 2.0 Build 3 ROM
[Source: WCCF TECH]
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail: