The Android Open Kang Project (AOKP) Team has recently announced the official release of AOKP JB-MR1 Build 5 custom builds featuring the latest Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean. The ROM adds support for six new devices, making it a total of 28 Android running devices.
Android 4.2.2 AOKP JB-MR1 Build 5 ROM is available for Galaxy S3 I9300.
This AOKP Build 5 addresses the random reboot issue and brings an enhanced lockscreen through faster navigation. In addition to that, the new custom firmware carries some new features.
1) Traditional toggles instead of Tiles (Optional)
2) New Navigation Ring configuration menu
3) S Pen support for Note 2
4) Quiet Hours toggles
Head over to the development page to learn more about the bug fixes and features of the AOKP JB-MR1 Build 5.
One such build is available for the international version of Samsung Galaxy S3 with model number I9300 which is currently running on Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean software.
Galaxy S3 users, who wish to install the Android 4.2.2 AOKP JB-MR1 Build 5 ROM manually on their devices to experience the latest version of Jelly Bean ahead of the official release, may follow our step-by-step instruction guide below.
IBTimes UK reminds its readers that it will not be held liable for any damage to the device. Users are advised to verify the model number of their devices since the aforementioned ROM works only with Samsung Galaxy S3 I9300, not with any other variants.
1) Install USB Driver for Samsung Galaxy S3 to connect the phone with the computer.
2) Enable USB Debugging Mode. [Press Menu>> Settings>> Applications. From there navigate and click on Development option and ensure the USB Debugging Mode is turned on.]
3) Create back-up for all the data of the phone.
4) Verify the battery of Galaxy S3 should have more than 80 per cent of charge.
5) The phone should be rooted and have ClockworkMod (CWM) recovery installed.
6) Ensure that the device is factory unlocked.
Steps to install Android 4.2.2 AOKP JB-MR1 Build 5 ROM on Galaxy S3 I9300
1) Download Android 4.2.2 AOKP JB-MR1 Build 5 ROM for Galaxy S3 to the computer
2) Download Google Apps package
3) Plug in the USB cable to the Galaxy S3 to connect it with the computer. Then transfer the downloaded zip files to the SD card of the phone
4) Disconnect the phone from the computer and switch it off. Then enter into recovery mode by turning on the phone while pressing and holding Volume Up and Home buttons together
5) In CWM Recovery, first perform a data wiping task. Then using the volume keys scroll down to 'Flash zip from SD card,' press the Power button to select it
6) Now select 'Choose zip from SD card' by using the Power button. Locate the Jelly Bean ROM zip file which is saved on the SD card of the phone. Press the Power button to select it then confirm installation by selecting 'Yes' on the next screen
7) After the ROM is installed, follow the similar procedure to install the Google Apps zip file
8) Once the installation process is completed, navigate to '+++++Go Back' and select 'reboot system now' to reboot the device and boot up in to the customised Jelly Bean ROM
Samsung Galaxy S3 I9300 should be now updated with AOKP JB-MR1 Build 5 Jelly Bean ROM based on Android 4.2.2. Navigate to Settings>> About Phone to verify the software version of the device
To contact the editor, e-mail: