US Welcomes 13 New National Historic Landmarks [PHOTOS]
By Mark Johanson | March 12, 2013 1:40 PM EST
The United States now has 13 new national historic landmarks that “recognize a more complete story of America, including significant Latino, African American and Indian sites,” Secretary of the Interior Ken Salazar and Director of the National Park Service Jonathan B. Jarvis said announcing their designation Monday.
The new additions range from the Historic District of Old San Juan, Puerto Rico, to a Civil War refugee camp and a bridge in Selma, Ala., where an attack on civil rights marchers led to the introduction and passage of the Voting Rights Act of 1965.
“From the Civil War to civil rights, to the struggles and accomplishments of women, African Americans and Latinos, these sites highlight the mosaic of our nation’s historic past,” said Jarvis. “We are proud to administer the National Historic Landmarks Program to educate and inspire Americans through their country’s rich and complex history.”
Salazar added that the national historic landmark designations spanned more than two centuries of American history.
“Today’s designations include significant sites that help tell the story of America and the contributions that all people from all walks of life have made as we strive for a more perfect union,” he said.
Preservation officials and other partners nominate national historic landmarks for their significant value or quality in illustrating or interpreting the heritage of the U.S. The National Park Service has administered the sites since the program’s inception in 1935.
With Monday’s new additions, the NPS now manages 2,540 national historic landmarks.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Full List Of Winners, Miley Cyrus ‘Wrecking Ball’ Bags Video Of The Year [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- Kate Middleton First Official Solo Trip: Details For Malta Tour Revealed [PHOTOS]
- Manny Pacquiao Vs. Chris Algieri World Tour Kick Off Press Conference In Macau [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Missing Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 Could Be Employed For Possible 9/11 Attack On U.S. This Year, Suggests Ret. Lt. Gen.- Report
- 3 Important Revenue Sources Of Vatican
- Beheading Happens Twice Everyday – Report Reveals
- Australia’s 5 Best Winter Vacation Destinations
- Mind Blown: Hello Kitty Is Not A Cat But A British Young Girl
- Apple on iPhone 6 Release Date One Week After September 9 Despite Display Shortage Starting $800
- James Foley Video Had A Change Of Actor – Expert Points Out
- Canada Concerned About Russia’s Military Expansion in Arctic
- Why Moto X is Not the Best Smartphone to Purchase Now?
- Nexus 6 Release Date Will Intro Android 5.0 aka Lemon Meringue Pie with Killer Specs & Features
- Hundreds of Men Rape Teen for Three Years
- Samsung Galaxy S5 Mini vs. LG G3 S (aka LG G3 Beat, LG G3 Mini) – Specs, Features And Price Showdown