US Welcomes 13 New National Historic Landmarks [PHOTOS]
By Mark Johanson | March 12, 2013 1:40 PM EST
The United States now has 13 new national historic landmarks that “recognize a more complete story of America, including significant Latino, African American and Indian sites,” Secretary of the Interior Ken Salazar and Director of the National Park Service Jonathan B. Jarvis said announcing their designation Monday.
The new additions range from the Historic District of Old San Juan, Puerto Rico, to a Civil War refugee camp and a bridge in Selma, Ala., where an attack on civil rights marchers led to the introduction and passage of the Voting Rights Act of 1965.
“From the Civil War to civil rights, to the struggles and accomplishments of women, African Americans and Latinos, these sites highlight the mosaic of our nation’s historic past,” said Jarvis. “We are proud to administer the National Historic Landmarks Program to educate and inspire Americans through their country’s rich and complex history.”
Salazar added that the national historic landmark designations spanned more than two centuries of American history.
“Today’s designations include significant sites that help tell the story of America and the contributions that all people from all walks of life have made as we strive for a more perfect union,” he said.
Preservation officials and other partners nominate national historic landmarks for their significant value or quality in illustrating or interpreting the heritage of the U.S. The National Park Service has administered the sites since the program’s inception in 1935.
With Monday’s new additions, the NPS now manages 2,540 national historic landmarks.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Pope Francis Meets Sudanese Woman Who Was Spared Death for Apostasy (PHOTOS)
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MH17: King Williem-Alexander, Queen Maxima Hold Solemn Reception Ceremony for Victims
- Jennifer Lawrence & Nicholas Hoult Allegedly Split: Mad Max Actor Cheats with Kristen Stewart & Riley Keough - Reports
- Transfer News: FC Barcelona Shockingly Sign Valencia Defender [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Malaysia Airlines Flights: MH17 Black Box Data Suggests Missile Attack; MH17 and MH370 Leads Malaysia Airlines to ‘Renaming and Rebranding’
- MH370: Police Dragged and Punched Families of Victims
- Armageddon Nears as River Turns Bloody Red in Wenzhou, Locals Believe
- Pm Abbott Goes Nuts over MH17 Mission
- MH17: Teen Brags about Mascara Looted from Victim
- Apple iPhone 6 on Two Confirmed Release Dates, New Parts Leaked Suggesting Bigger iPhone to Come
- Xiaomi Mi4 vs OnePlusOne vs Nexus 5: Mi4 is the ‘Perfect’ Phone
- Israeli Women Stripping Naked for IDF Soldiers
- Google Nexus 6, 8 with Android L on Release Date Promises Killer Mobile Device Experience
- HTC One M8 Android 4.4.3 KitKat Update Roll Out, Introducing the HTC One Remix
- Shocking Video of Pedigree Dog Culling in Bali Emerges [Video]
- Sony Xperia Z3 Specs Leaked with More Killer Features Ahead of Samsung Galaxy Note 4, iPhone 6