US Welcomes 13 New National Historic Landmarks [PHOTOS]
By Mark Johanson | March 12, 2013 1:40 PM EST
The United States now has 13 new national historic landmarks that “recognize a more complete story of America, including significant Latino, African American and Indian sites,” Secretary of the Interior Ken Salazar and Director of the National Park Service Jonathan B. Jarvis said announcing their designation Monday.
The new additions range from the Historic District of Old San Juan, Puerto Rico, to a Civil War refugee camp and a bridge in Selma, Ala., where an attack on civil rights marchers led to the introduction and passage of the Voting Rights Act of 1965.
“From the Civil War to civil rights, to the struggles and accomplishments of women, African Americans and Latinos, these sites highlight the mosaic of our nation’s historic past,” said Jarvis. “We are proud to administer the National Historic Landmarks Program to educate and inspire Americans through their country’s rich and complex history.”
Salazar added that the national historic landmark designations spanned more than two centuries of American history.
“Today’s designations include significant sites that help tell the story of America and the contributions that all people from all walks of life have made as we strive for a more perfect union,” he said.
Preservation officials and other partners nominate national historic landmarks for their significant value or quality in illustrating or interpreting the heritage of the U.S. The National Park Service has administered the sites since the program’s inception in 1935.
With Monday’s new additions, the NPS now manages 2,540 national historic landmarks.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin's Wedding In Venice: Photos Of Groom And His Family, Friends [Slideshow]
- Kendall Jenner Rocks Semi-Nude Balmain Lattice Dress At Paris Fashion Week [PHOTOS]
- Walking Is Superfood For Fitness; Celebrities Who Walk For Health
- Photos Of George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin, They Get Married Again On Monday [Slideshow]
Join the Conversation
- 3 Reasons to Get the Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Instead of the iPhone 6
- iPhone 6 vs Moto G 2014: Motorola’s Budget Smartphone Takes On Apple’s Premium Smartphone
- Google HTC Nexus 9 Tablet October 24 Launch Date Benefits Many
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Nexus 6: Which Smartphone Dominates
- MH 370 Search In Ocean To Intensify With Hi Tech Ships Joining The Plane Hunt From October
- New Windows OS Is Not Windows 9, Microsoft To Launch Windows 10 As New OS Build
- Nexus 7 Tips and Tricks