Darrelle Revis Trade Rumors: Denver Broncos Latest Team Linked To New York Jets Cornerback? Tampa Bay Buccaneers Also Interested?
March 11, 2013 5:08 AM EST
Add the Denver Broncos to the litany of teams interested in acquiring New York Jets cornerback Darrelle Revis.
While he reportedly wants to remain in New York, the Jets are trying to move Revis, and hoping to avoid signing him to the $16 million per season salary he would like.
ESPN New York.com reported Sunday that Denver could be interested in a trade for Revis, much like the San Francisco 49ers and the Atlanta Falcons.
However, there are conflicting reports about Denver’s interest. Jeff Legwold of the Denver Post stated on Twitter: “I have known many in this business for a long time and respect them immensely, but the Broncos have NO intention of acquiring Revis.”
Later Sunday, NFL.com reported Denver is looking for another cornerback to pair with All-Pro Champ Bailey. The Broncos met with Dunta Robinson before he signed agreed to a three-year deal with Atlanta, which probably takes them out of the running for Revis.
That report also stated the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, who have $30 million salary cap space to spend, could be another player for Revis’s services.
The Buccaneers were 7-9 last season, but were still in the playoff hunt late in the year despite their last place pass defense surrendering 297.4 yards per game.
Denver had the NFL's third ranked pass defense last season, but let up 331 yards and three touchdowns to Baltimore quarterback Joe Flacco in their 38-35 double overtime loss in the AFC Divisional Round, including defensive back Tony Carter and safety Rahim Moore’s mishap in the secondary that allowed Ravens receiver Jacoby Jones to tie the game with 30 seconds remaining in regulation.
Revis will be a free agent after next season, and the Jets would like to trade him now, not only to get something in return, but to avoid the AFC East rival New England Patriots possibly signing him.
Reports have also suggested teams are hesistant to trade for Revis due to his knee injury. He missed 14 games last season after tearing his ACL.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Reasons Why Michael Jordan Is Better Than LeBron James [PHOTOS And VIDEO]
- Dwyane Wade, Joe Johnson, Amare Stoudemire Among Worst Contracts In The NBA (Part 2 - Eastern Conference)
- Brawl-Marred Game in NFL Week 3: Philadelphia Eagles 37, Washington Redskins 34 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Monday Night Football Recap: Chicago Bears 27, New York Jets 19
Join the Conversation
- Tourre on stand says email in SEC case 'not accurate'
- Syrian authorities blocking access to needy in Homs - Red Cross
- Faith in European Union at low ebb, EU poll says
- Former UBS banker gets 18 months, $1 million fine, for muni bid-rigging scheme
- U.S. judge halts challenges to Detroit's bankruptcy bid
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Date is Halloween 2014 as Android L Intro Set for October 16
- New Samsung Galaxy Note 4 and Galaxy S5 Android 5.0 L Killer Features, Encryption and More
- Moto G 2014 v Asus Zenfone 5 – Specification Comparison Shows Zenfone 5 Is A Good Alternative for Moto G
- Android 5.0 L Nexus 4, Nexus 5, Nexus 7 Release in October, Google Employees Offer Hint
- U.S and Canada Fighter Jets Chase Out Russian Jets Near Alaska: Air Space Violation Not Confirmed
- Microsoft Doubles OneDrive Space To 30GB Due To iOS 8 Update Issues
- Nexus 8, Nexus 9 Release Date, Device Name And Price Conundrum: What To Expect?