Taylor Swift Made $57m in 2012, More Than Justin Bieber, Brad Pitt and Adele
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | March 9, 2013 7:11 PM EST
Pop star Taylor Swift is the third-highest paid woman in the entertainment business, according to a survey by Parade magazine. The 23-year-old American singer raked in $57m (approximately £38m) to top the list, ahead of talk show queen Oprah Winfrey and one-time pop icon Britney Spears.
Parade's data also revealed that Swift out-earned a number of her high-profile colleagues, including 19-year-old Canadian star Justin Bieber, Hollywood star Brad Pitt and Oscar winner Anne Hathaway. Bieber, whose image took a tumble after he turned up two hours late for a concert, earned $2m (approximately £1.3m) less.
Swift's fourth studio album - Red - released in October and is the key driver behind her strong earnings. The lead single, We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together, hit the top of the US Billboard Hot 100 and Red made it to No 1 on the US Billboard 200 and the US Billboard Top Country Albums, as well as peaking charts in Australia, Canada, Ireland, New Zealand and even Taiwan.
First week sales were reported at 1.208 million, which was the biggest for any album since Eminem's The Eminem Show in 2002. The country star is also set to start the first leg of the Red Tour, on 13 March, and will perform at 67 venues across the US.
Meanwhile, the British music space was represented by Adele, who pocketed as estimated $32m (£21.5m), largely due to the runaway success of her latest album, 21.
The record hit No 1 in 26 countries, including the UK and the US, and also earned her the distinction of being the first female British artist to reach the 10 million mark in the US. In addition, her Academy Award-winning theme for Daniel Craig's James Bond film, Skyfall, significantly boosted her earnings. The single has sold over two million copies worldwide.
Bieber's earnings were driven by album sales, revenue from his Believe concerts and entrepreneurial endeavours like the launch of his latest perfume.
According to Parade's annual "What People Earn" job survey, Brad Pitt still remained the top dog among the actors. Despite an average year at the box office (his only release being Killing Them Softly), Pitt managed to cap $35m (£23m) last year.
Anne Hathaway earned around $10m (£6.5m) despite being in two of the biggest hits this year- The Dark Knight Rises and Les Miserables.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
Join the Conversation
- Kate Middleton's Pregnancy: Alleged Miscarriage Makes Prince William and Prince Harry Somber - Reports
- Beyonce &Jay Z Marriage Story: Bey Not Attracted to Jay, Married Him for Professional Growth - Reports
- Kendra Wilkinson's Divorce Troubles: Hank Baskett Cheated Before Allegedly Caught with Transexual Model - Reports
- Khloe Kardashian Feels her Failed Marriage with Lamar Odom Helped Cause Rob Kardashian's Depression
- The Bachelor Update: Find Out if Juan Pablo and Nikki Ferrell Are Still With Each Other
- Transfer News: Ron Vlaar to Consider Villa Exit, May Move to Tottenham
- AS Roma's Seydou Keita Throws Water Bottle at Real Madrid defender Pepe for Spitting [VIDEO]
- The Mentalist Season 7 Spoilers: CBS Skips Simon Baker's Patrick Jane in Fall Schedule, Josie Loren Joins Cast
- Game of Thrones Season 5 Update: Maisie Williams Talks Arya Stark, Lady Stoneheart, and Surprises
- Transfer News: FC Barcelona, Man Utd to Compete for Juan Cuadrado's Signature as Fiorentina Reveal Willingness to Sell