Taylor Swift Made $57m in 2012, More Than Justin Bieber, Brad Pitt and Adele
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | March 9, 2013 7:11 PM EST
Pop star Taylor Swift is the third-highest paid woman in the entertainment business, according to a survey by Parade magazine. The 23-year-old American singer raked in $57m (approximately £38m) to top the list, ahead of talk show queen Oprah Winfrey and one-time pop icon Britney Spears.
Parade's data also revealed that Swift out-earned a number of her high-profile colleagues, including 19-year-old Canadian star Justin Bieber, Hollywood star Brad Pitt and Oscar winner Anne Hathaway. Bieber, whose image took a tumble after he turned up two hours late for a concert, earned $2m (approximately £1.3m) less.
Swift's fourth studio album - Red - released in October and is the key driver behind her strong earnings. The lead single, We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together, hit the top of the US Billboard Hot 100 and Red made it to No 1 on the US Billboard 200 and the US Billboard Top Country Albums, as well as peaking charts in Australia, Canada, Ireland, New Zealand and even Taiwan.
First week sales were reported at 1.208 million, which was the biggest for any album since Eminem's The Eminem Show in 2002. The country star is also set to start the first leg of the Red Tour, on 13 March, and will perform at 67 venues across the US.
Meanwhile, the British music space was represented by Adele, who pocketed as estimated $32m (£21.5m), largely due to the runaway success of her latest album, 21.
The record hit No 1 in 26 countries, including the UK and the US, and also earned her the distinction of being the first female British artist to reach the 10 million mark in the US. In addition, her Academy Award-winning theme for Daniel Craig's James Bond film, Skyfall, significantly boosted her earnings. The single has sold over two million copies worldwide.
Bieber's earnings were driven by album sales, revenue from his Believe concerts and entrepreneurial endeavours like the launch of his latest perfume.
According to Parade's annual "What People Earn" job survey, Brad Pitt still remained the top dog among the actors. Despite an average year at the box office (his only release being Killing Them Softly), Pitt managed to cap $35m (£23m) last year.
Anne Hathaway earned around $10m (£6.5m) despite being in two of the biggest hits this year- The Dark Knight Rises and Les Miserables.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- ‘Sons of Anarchy’ Season 7 Finale Spoilers: Kurt Sutter On Ending The Biker Series And Picking The Right Song For The Final Ride
- Prince Charles’ Wife Camilla Parker-Bowles In Drug Scandal - Reports
- Prince Harry Kissing Mystery Blond, Cressida Bonas & Camilla Thurlow Are Distant Memory
- St. Louis Rams 28, Seattle Seahawks 26 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 2 Major Spoilers, Air Date: Where To Watch Online, Live Stream ‘Strangers’
- ‘The X Factor Australia’ Winner is Marlisa Punzalan; Dean Ray Finishes as Runner-Up [VIDEOS]
- ‘The X Factor Australia’ Grand Final Sing-Off: Marlisa Punzalan, Dean Ray and Brothers 3 [VIDEOS]
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 3 Promo, Spoilers: Find Out What Happens In ‘Four Walls And A Roof’
- ‘The Bachelor Australia’: Blake And Louise Tell The True Story
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Redmi Note 2 vs iPhone 6: Samsung in Danger with Depressing Q3
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date Likely this October 2014 with Pangu not Evad3rs Firming Up as Creator
- Top 4 Free-To-Download Apps for Fuller iPhone 6, 6 Plus Experience
- Apple Inc. (AAPL) Stock Set to Soar Beyond $100 Despite Decline After New iPad Launch
- Battery Saving Android 5.0 Lollipop Feature Extends The Battery Life Of Your Android Device By 90 Minutes And Displays Orange Bar While Power Saving Mode Is On
- Russia Beefs Up Gold Reserves To Offset Heat of Sanctions And Undercut Dollar
- Australia's 'No Way' Anti-Asylum Seeker Poster Sparks Outrage