Galaxy S3 I9300 Gets Official Android
4.1.2 XXEMB5 Jelly Bean Firmware
Galaxy S3 I9300 users in the UK can now enjoy the latest Jelly Bean Over-The-Air (OTA) update, as Samsung has rolled out Android 4.1.2 XXEMB5 official firmware for the flagship smartphone, just a few hours ago. Installation of the firmware does not require any custom recovery tools such as ClockworkMod (CWM) or TWRP, as it uses ODIN flash tool for the same.
NOTE: As this is an unbranded firmware, it can be installed on any unlocked Galaxy S3 I9300 (except in China, Hong Kong and Taiwan).
Android 4.1.2 XXEMB5 Jelly Bean Official Firmware Details:
Date: 2013 February
Regions Supported: Austria, Belgium, France, Germany, Hungary, Italy, Spain, United Kingdom
New Features of Android 4.1.2 XXEMB5 Official Firmware for Galaxy S3
- Based on the original Android 4.1.2 JZO54K firmware
- Multi-View (Multi-WindowsMultitasking, same as in Note II)
- Page Buddy
- New Gallery App (Same as in Note 2)
- NotificationPanel (NotificationPanel can now be customised)
- Brightness Slider inNotificationPanel Can Now Be Disabled
- Smart Rotation (Screen Display adjusts to your angle of viewing)
- Continues Input in Samsung Keyboard (Like Swipe or Android 4.2 Keyboard)
- Paper Artist App
- Group Cast App
Key Points to Note
- Android 4.1.2 XXEMB5 official firmware and the instructions given in this guide are compatible with the international variant Galaxy S3 I9300 model only and will not work on any other device. Verify the device's model number by navigating to Settings > About Phone.
- Verify that the correct USB drivers are installed for the Galaxy S3 on computer (download Galaxy S3 I9300 USB drivers)
- Back up important data and settings on the phone using one of the recommended custom recovery tools such as CWM or TWRP recovery, as it creates a complete image of the existing phone setup.
- Ensure that USB Debugging mode is enabled on the phone by navigating to Settings > Developer Options (if the device is running Android 4.0 or later) or go to Settings > Applications > Development (if the phone is running Android 2.3 or earlier). Otherwise, if the device is running Android 4.2, then perform the following steps:
- Go to Settings > About Phone
- Scroll down to the bottom of screen and select Build Number
- Tap the Build Number seven times to unlock or reveal the hidden Developer Options under Settings. Then select the checkbox to enable USB Debugging mode under Settings > Developer Options.
- Make sure that the device has at least 85 per cent battery charge
- Verify that the phone is factory unlocked (not locked to a specific carrier)
- The instructions provided in this guide are meant for reference purpose only. IBTimes UK will not be held liable if the device is damaged during the firmware installation. Users must proceed at their own risk.
How to Install Android 4.1.2 XXEMB5 Jelly Bean Official Firmware on Galaxy S3 I9300
Step 1 - Download Android 4.1.2 I9300XXEMB5 official firmware for Galaxy S3 on the computer and extract the zip file.
Step 2 - Download ODIN v1.85 which is needed to install Android 4.1.2 official firmware on Samsung Galaxy S3 I9300.
Step 3 - Power off the phone and boot it into Download Mode. To do so, press and hold Volume Down and Home buttons together, and then tap the Power button until the construction Android robot icon with a triangle appears on screen. Hit the Power button again to confirm entry into Download Mode.
Step 4 - Launch ODIN on computer and connect the phone to it while the phone is still in Download Mode.
Step 5 - When the phone connects successfully, one of the ID: COM boxes indicates yellow with the corresponding COM port number. This step may be time-consuming (take about five minutes). So, do not interrupt the process.
Step 6 - Choose the files that need to be flashed or installed on the phone, which can be found among the extracted files in Step 1.
- Click on the 'PDA' checkbox and choose the file named '.tar' or '.md5'.
- Tap on the 'Phone' checkbox and click the file named 'MODEM'. Ignore this step if such file is missing.
- Hit the 'CSC' checkbox and choose the file named 'CSC'. Ignore this step if there is no such file.
- Click on the 'PIT' checkbox and choose the .pit file. Ignore this step if such file is absent.
Step 7 - In ODIN, enable or select the checkbox for Auto Reboot and F. Reset Time options. In case of Re-Partition option, enable it ONLY if a .PIT file was chosen in the previous step.
Step 8 - Hit Start button in ODIN and the firmware installation process will begin. It should take just a few minutes to complete.
Step 9 - Once the firmware installation is done, the phone will reboot. Finally, when the home screen appears, disconnect the phone from computer.
Samsung Galaxy S3 I9300 is now successfully updated to Android 4.1.2 XXEMB5 official firmware. Go to Settings > About Phone to verify the firmware version installed.
[Source: Team Android]
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail: