Root Galaxy S2 I9100
Galaxy S2 I9100 users in China recently received the latest Jelly Bean firmware from Samsung via Android 4.1.2 ZSLSH official firmware. Though the firmware is branded with third-party apps and language packs preloaded, it can be installed on any unlocked Galaxy S2 I9100, as the firmware itself is not carrier dependant.
Nevertheless, S2 users who have already updated their device to the new ZSLSH official firmware can now root their device using Siyah Kernel with the help of this guide. The rooting method used in this guide makes use of ODIN flash tool for installing root. However, the root package will also automatically install ClockworkMod (CWM) recovery on the phone, so that there is no need to manually install any custom recovery tool for data backup or restoring original firmware.
Key Points to Note
- Siyah Root Kernel and the instructions given in this guide are compatible with the international variant Galaxy S2 I9100 model only and will not work on any other device. Verify the device's model number by navigating to Settings > About Phone.
- Back up important data and settings on the phone using one of the recommended custom recovery tools such as CWM or TWRP recovery, as it creates a complete image of the existing phone setup.
- Verify that the correct USB drivers are installed for the Galaxy S2 on computer (download Galaxy S2 I9100 USB drivers)
- Ensure that USBDebugging mode is enabled on the phone by navigating to Settings > Developer Options (if the device is running Android 4.0 or later) or go to Settings > Applications > Development (if the phone is running Android 2.3 or earlier). Otherwise, if the device is running Android 4.2, then perform the following steps:
- Go to Settings > About Phone
- Scroll down to the bottom of screen and select Build Number
- Tap the Build Number seven times to unlock or reveal the hidden Developer Options under Settings. Then select the checkbox to enable USB Debugging mode under Settings > Developer Options.
- Make sure that the device has at least 85 per cent battery charge
- Verify that the phone is factory unlocked (not locked to a specific carrier) before proceeding with root installation
- The instructions provided in this guide are meant for reference purpose only.IBTimes UK will not be held liable if the device is damaged during the firmware installation. Users must proceed at their own risk.
How to Root Galaxy S2 I9100 on Official Android 4.1.2 ZSLSH Jelly Bean Firmware
Root Galaxy S2 I9100
Step 1 - Download Root Kernel I9100ZSLSH for Galaxy S2 on computer.
Step 2 - Download ODIN v1.85 which is needed to root Android 4.1.2 ZSLSH official firmware on Samsung Galaxy S2 I9100.
Step 3 - Power off the phone and boot it into Download Mode. To do so, press and hold Volume Down and Home buttons together, and then tap the Power button until the construction Android robot icon with a triangle appears on screen. Hit the Power button again to confirm entry into Download Mode.
Step 4 - Launch ODIN on computer and connect the phone to it while the phone is still in Download Mode.
Step 5 - If the phone connects successfully, one of the ID: COM boxes indicates yellow with the corresponding COM port number. This process may take about five minutes to complete.
Step 6 - Now choose the file that needs to be flashed or installed on the phone, which can be found in the downloaded zip file in Step 1.
- Click the 'PDA' checkbox and choose the file 'Siyah-s2-v6.0b4.tar'.
Step 7 - In ODIN, enable Auto Reboot and F. Reset Time options.
Step 8 - Now, hit Start button in ODIN and the root installation process will begin. It should take just a few minutes to complete.
Step 9 - Once the root installation is done, the phone will reboot. Finally, when the home screen appears, disconnect the phone from computer.
Congratulations! Samsung Galaxy S2 I9100 is now rooted on Android 4.1.2 ZSLSH official firmware. Check for the Superuser app in the phone's apps list to verify if root installation is successful.
To ensure that the root access is installed and working correctly, just download and install Root Checker app from Google Play Store.
Check out our step-by-step guide to install Android 4.1.2 ZSLSH official firmware on Galaxy S2 I9100 here
[Source: Team Android]
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail: