NFL Trade Rumors: San Francisco 49ers, New England Patriots Could Deal For New York Jets Tim Tebow? Philadelphia Eagles, Chicago Bears Other Teams Interested?
March 8, 2013 4:03 AM EST
While Tim Tebow makes waves along the lecture circuit, the New York Jets are still actively shopping the rush-first quarterback.
So far there have been few takers for the 25-year-old out of Florida, though several teams might have interest in the former Heisman winner, according to a report by ESPN New York.
After the Jets traded for him a year ago, Tebow was supposed to be an integral part of a new risk-taking offense under coordinator Tony Sparano. Yet New York sparingly used Tebow in 2012. In 12 games, he completed six of his eight pass attempts, and rushed 32 times for 102 yards. Sparano was fired at the end of last season after the Jets were 28th in points per game.
Among the teams speculated are the New England Patriots. Current offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels was head coach of the Denver Broncos when the team drafted Tebow in the first round of the 2010 draft. And the Patriots are now aware of young reserve Ryan Mallet’s trade value.
Then there’s two new NFL head coaches with major market teams that could make use of Tebow’s unique skill set.
The Philadelphia Eagles Chip Kelly and his spread offense might find more creative ways to use Tebow than the Jets mustered. While Chicago Bears coach Marc Trestman prepared Tebow for the 2010 Senior Bowl and his draft workouts.
Should the Jets find no trade partner for Tebow, they are expected to release him.
The 49ers were another club mentioned as a destination for Tebow. They traded away Alex Smith to the Kansas City Chiefs, thus creating the need for a back-up. Also quarterback Colin Kaepernick rushed 63 times for 415 yards last season, which could make Tebow a solid fit in San Francisco’s offense.
New York is already hunting for a deal for cornerback Darrelle Revis, with San Francisco seen as a top trade partner. However several reports over the past few days claim that San Francisco has very little interest in trading for the currently injured Revis.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Rafael Nadal On Roger Federer: ‘He’s A Good Person, A Fantastic Player And A Great Man On Court’
- NBA News: Teammate Stresses Jeremy Lin's Importance To The Lakers
- Croatian Boxer Banned For Life From Sport After Vicious Attack On Polish Referee [VIDEO]
- Jeremy Lin’s Big Break: Steve Nash Out For The Season For The Los Angeles Lakers
- Manny Pacquiao Is Better Than Floyd Mayweather Jr. In Basketball Claims Freddie Roach
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related
- Swedish Military Spots ‘Russian Submarine’ Off Stockholm Coast, An Alarming ‘Security Game Changer’