NFL Trade Rumors: San Francisco 49ers, New England Patriots Could Deal For New York Jets Tim Tebow? Philadelphia Eagles, Chicago Bears Other Teams Interested?
March 8, 2013 4:03 AM EST
While Tim Tebow makes waves along the lecture circuit, the New York Jets are still actively shopping the rush-first quarterback.
So far there have been few takers for the 25-year-old out of Florida, though several teams might have interest in the former Heisman winner, according to a report by ESPN New York.
After the Jets traded for him a year ago, Tebow was supposed to be an integral part of a new risk-taking offense under coordinator Tony Sparano. Yet New York sparingly used Tebow in 2012. In 12 games, he completed six of his eight pass attempts, and rushed 32 times for 102 yards. Sparano was fired at the end of last season after the Jets were 28th in points per game.
Among the teams speculated are the New England Patriots. Current offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels was head coach of the Denver Broncos when the team drafted Tebow in the first round of the 2010 draft. And the Patriots are now aware of young reserve Ryan Mallet’s trade value.
Then there’s two new NFL head coaches with major market teams that could make use of Tebow’s unique skill set.
The Philadelphia Eagles Chip Kelly and his spread offense might find more creative ways to use Tebow than the Jets mustered. While Chicago Bears coach Marc Trestman prepared Tebow for the 2010 Senior Bowl and his draft workouts.
Should the Jets find no trade partner for Tebow, they are expected to release him.
The 49ers were another club mentioned as a destination for Tebow. They traded away Alex Smith to the Kansas City Chiefs, thus creating the need for a back-up. Also quarterback Colin Kaepernick rushed 63 times for 415 yards last season, which could make Tebow a solid fit in San Francisco’s offense.
New York is already hunting for a deal for cornerback Darrelle Revis, with San Francisco seen as a top trade partner. However several reports over the past few days claim that San Francisco has very little interest in trading for the currently injured Revis.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kate Middleton Suffocated in Kensington Palace, Queen Elizabeth Reported War With The Duchess [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Dating Reports: Jennifer Lawrence Vs Gwyneth Paltrow [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Everything To Know [PHOTOS]
- British Style Icon Kate Middleton Fashion Talk With Camilla Parker-Bowles Daughter-In-Law [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Trading Jeremy Lin Was A Huge Mistake For Houston Rockets
- Floyd Sr Already Endorsing Manny Pacquiao vs. Floyd Fight After Anticipated Victory Over Maidana
- Manny Pacquiao To Gauge KO Power Against Chris Algieri
- Top 10 Highest Paid Tennis Players
- Dallas Cowboys Have Worst Linebackers in History, Tony Romo To Miss Games Again – Gerry Fraley
- James Foley Beheading Video Has Play-Acting Portions – Video Experts Say
- 4.7-Inch, 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 Models Confirmed with Similar Build, Cam Features & 300+ Screen Pixels on Release Date
- Apple iPhone 6 Release Date, iPhone 6C or 6L Anticipation: Three Things Should Matter To New Phone Shoppers
- Xiaomi Mi4 vs iPhone 6: Why Forecasts Favor Mi4 as The Next Best Phone Against iPhone 6
- James Foley: More Chilling Information Revealed By Escaped Journalists
- Upcoming Sony Xperia Z3 With Dual-SIM Support Gets Approved In China; Full Specifications Revealed; Amber-Coloured Xperia Z3 Tipped
- Companies Push Back IPO Plans Due to Mega Alibaba Share Launch