Reliance Joins Hands with Samsung to Launch Budget 4G Devices: report
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | March 7, 2013 11:53 PM EST
Mukesh Ambani's Reliance Industries (RIL) in its nationwide launch of 4G network has reportedly inked a deal with South Korean tech giant Samsung to introduce budget LTE devices.
According to The Times of India, Reliance is mulling to roll out LTE devices for as low as ₹5,500 in partnership with Samsung. It was also reported that these budget devices will be sold in the country with data packages, and the high-end phones in this category will be made available on minimal EMIs. The device is likely to get a soft launch by mid-2013, followed by a grand debut more likely in December.
"Samsung will not be just another vendor to RIL supplying handsets as it was when Reliance Infocomm was launched in 2002. They are seeking a much broader role. A possible joint venture could also be in the offering," a sources told The Times of India.
Both Reliance and Samsung have not commented on this new venture. If the report rings true, then the Indian telecom market would witness a spree of 4G-enabled devices.
"We went to the Korean giants before the Reliance Infocomm launch to manufacture handsets at $100, a price never heard of then in early 2000. They didn't entertain us then. We came back to our drawing boards, did an in-house research and went back to them showing how handsets can be manufactured within $100 and told them if they don't manufacture handsets for us at that price, we will do it on our own. In the process, they will miss out on a billion-dollar opportunity. That's when they gave in," an insider told TOI.
Earlier in February, Reliance Communications had signed an exclusive deal with PC maker Lenovo to launch smartphones into India's burgeoning smartphone market. The company is will roll out four to five smartphones in the next six months under this partnership.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named People's Best Dressed Stars Of 2014 [PHOTOS]
- Champions League Results: Barcelona Barely Escapes With A Win, Chelsea Fails To Hold On To The Lead [PHOTOS]
- Jeremy Lin, Kobe Bryant Among The Top 5 Overpaid Players In The NBA (Part 1 - Western Conference)
- Reasons Why Michael Jordan Is Better Than LeBron James [PHOTOS And VIDEO]
Join the Conversation
- iPhone 6 Release Down Under – Meet The First People To Have The Newest iPhones
- Canada Consumer Alert: Costco No Longer Accepting American Express Cards Starting Jan 1
- Masayoshi Son Is Japan’s Richest Man As Softbank Shares Surge Ahead Of Alibaba IPO; More Millionaires Among Alibaba Employees On The Way
- Ex-Male Strippers For Rent At $125/Hour To Act As ManServants
- Alibaba Hikes IPO Price Range To $66-$68 From $60-$66
- Google Release Roundup: New Nexus 6, Nexus 8, Android 5.0 L Launch and Killer Features
- Xperia Z, Xperia ZL, Xperia ZR Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide
- Amazon Announces Kindle Fire HD 6, Kindle Fire HD 7 Tablets; Official Release Date Is Oct 2
- 'ISIL Has To Be Defeated, Plain And Simple, End Of Story,' Sen. John Kerry
- New Samsung Galaxy S5 Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Released, Verizon Guide and Installation