Reliance Joins Hands with Samsung to Launch Budget 4G Devices: report
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | March 7, 2013 11:53 PM EST
Mukesh Ambani's Reliance Industries (RIL) in its nationwide launch of 4G network has reportedly inked a deal with South Korean tech giant Samsung to introduce budget LTE devices.
According to The Times of India, Reliance is mulling to roll out LTE devices for as low as ₹5,500 in partnership with Samsung. It was also reported that these budget devices will be sold in the country with data packages, and the high-end phones in this category will be made available on minimal EMIs. The device is likely to get a soft launch by mid-2013, followed by a grand debut more likely in December.
"Samsung will not be just another vendor to RIL supplying handsets as it was when Reliance Infocomm was launched in 2002. They are seeking a much broader role. A possible joint venture could also be in the offering," a sources told The Times of India.
Both Reliance and Samsung have not commented on this new venture. If the report rings true, then the Indian telecom market would witness a spree of 4G-enabled devices.
"We went to the Korean giants before the Reliance Infocomm launch to manufacture handsets at $100, a price never heard of then in early 2000. They didn't entertain us then. We came back to our drawing boards, did an in-house research and went back to them showing how handsets can be manufactured within $100 and told them if they don't manufacture handsets for us at that price, we will do it on our own. In the process, they will miss out on a billion-dollar opportunity. That's when they gave in," an insider told TOI.
Earlier in February, Reliance Communications had signed an exclusive deal with PC maker Lenovo to launch smartphones into India's burgeoning smartphone market. The company is will roll out four to five smartphones in the next six months under this partnership.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Apple Inc (AAPL) Stock May Reach $150; First Trillion Company Talks, iPhone 6 and Apple Watch Boost Price
- Travel Alert: New Delta Air Lines Airbuses Could Be Seen In Australia Soon
- Travel Alert: Frequent Flyer Tie-Up Between Virgin Australia, South African Airways Enhanced
- Walmart Canada Feeling The Heat As Grocery War Intensifies
- Amazon Black Friday 2014 Deals Start On Nov. 21, 2014 Including Limited-Time Lightning Deals And Deals Of The Day On Clothes, Toys, Jewelry, Watches, Bags, Accessories And Electronics
- Russia's New Tactical Nuclear Weapons Program Growing Confident Against the US: Talks of World War III
- Apple and Google Engage in Thermonuclear War, New Google Translate Chat App in the Works
- Walmart Offers the Best 2014 Black Friday Deals on iPhone 6, iPad Ai2 & Other Gadgets – Reports
- Update Samsung Galaxy S5 to Android 4.4.4 KitKat, Sprint Release and Installation
- More Nexus 6 Problems Arise with Android 5.0 Lollipop, Poor Benchmark Results and Other Issues
- HTC One M8 Android 5.0 Lollipop Release Delayed: Other Schedule and Installation Guide
- Highest Paid NBA Players 2014: NBA Stars Who Earn More Than LeBron James