PM Harper Reappoints Graham Fraser As Official Commissioner Of Languages
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | March 7, 2013 8:51 PM EST
Stephen Harper, prime minister of Canadian federal government Wednesday reappointed Graham Fraser as the official commissioner of Canadian languages.
Graham Fraser has been serving as Commissioner of Official Languages since 2006. Acknowledging Fraser's commitment and dedication to the post, Prime Minister Stephen Harper reappointed Fraser to the post of commissioner for a three-year term.
"Since his appointment to the position over six years ago, Graham Fraser has fulfilled his role with dedication, diligence and distinction," said the Prime Minister in a press release.
The office of the commission of official languages was started in 1970 in an effort to enhance and strengthen Canada's linguistic duality. Besides preservation of the languages, it's the sole duty of the commissioner to protect the language rights of all Canadians.
"He has brought to the position a profound sensitivity to Canada's linguistic duality and a deep understanding of the Official Languages Act and Canada's language policy. I am pleased that he has agreed to be nominated to continue in this important role," said Harper.
According to the press release, Graham Fraser has successfully handled some of the sensitive and high-profile language issues in the country during his office as the commissioner of official languages.
The office is an agent of Parliament responsible for the implementation of the Parliament Act to protect and promote the languages, and safeguard the equality of status and use of English and French in Canadian society.
Fraser's reappointment must be approved by House of Commons and the Senate in order for him to take the office October 17.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Matmo Leaves 32k Customers w/o Electricity in Taiwan, Weakens After Landing in China
Join the Conversation
- Ideological Support Swells for Scottish Independence
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Dutch Wants Putin's Daughter Maria Deported to Russia From Holland
- New Zealand and China Decide to Boost Defence Ties
- Gaza Crisis: 695 Dead & 4,500 Injured, UN Accuses Israel of War Crimes
- Scientists Warn MERS Virus Could be Spread Airborne
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- HTC Google Nexus 8 Release Date Imminent with New Nexus 7 Deals, Two New Tablets Soon
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales