Apple's iOS 6 featured several improvements from its previous generation and included many new features for iPhone, iPad, iPod and Apple TV. But not many users of the iPhone know the ins and outs inside the device including its hidden features and shortcuts.
1. Customised Vibration - You can now create and record your own vibrations. Go to "Settings - General - Accessibility - Turn on Custom Vibrations". After that, go to "Settings - Sounds - Vibration - Create New Vibration".
2. Camera Activation without unlocking the screen is simple as swiping the camera upward. This feature is available with an iOS update.
3. Music Control from lock screen by double tapping the home button. The music control displays forward, pause, backward, and the volume.
4. Fast Scrolling - If you are browsing the Web and currently midway or at the bottom of the page, simply tap the top screen to go up.
5. Free Space Details - To check the details of your memory, go to "Settings - General - Check Usage". It will display the total storage capacity, application size details and other files such as music.
6. Typing Shortcuts - Go to "Settings - General - Keyboard - Add new shortcut." This will allow the user to create new text shortcuts.
7. Undo and Redo during typing - Shaking feature is usually used for gaming, but typing a message and shaking the device, pop-ups an undo or redo option.
8. Zoom anywhere you want - Browser is the common application with zooming feature but for iPhone devices, you can customise to allow zooming anywhere on the screen. Go to "Settings - General - Accessibility - Activate Zoom". This feature is very handy for users with visual problems.
9. Remove Background Applications - Double tap the home button provided the screen is unlocked then all background applications will appear. Hold one of those apps till it shakes, and click on the minus sign to remove them from the background.
10. Portrait Orientation Locked - Double tap on the home button and swipe right to see the screen orientation button.
11. Screenshot - Since there is no dedicated screenshot button for iOS, double tap the home button and the power key to get a screenshot. Quite similar to some rooted Android phones.
12. HDR with volume keys - HDR or High Dynamic Range photography allows capture of more details between lighter and darker conditions. Go to the "Camera app - Options - Turn on HDR". After that, use the volume keys to shoot images.
13. Character Count for SMS - Some users are particular with how many characters they use on a single text message. To determine, go to "Settings - Messages - Turn on Character Count." The next time you create a new message, the count will be displayed.
14. Searching Customisation - Spotlight search can now be adjusted to select what appears whenever you search on the iPhone. Go to "Settings - General - Spotlight Search".
15. Home button Triple-Click - This feature allows the user to open shortcuts to activate VoiceOver, Zoom, and White on Black. To change the shortcuts, go to "Settings - General - Accessibility - Triple-click Home".
16. Notification Access under locked screen is easy by simply swiping over to it and immediately takes you to application.
17. Headphone shortcuts - Normally, the headphone allows volume adjustments but by double tapping it, the music skips and triple tap to go back.
18. Reviving a frozen iPhone - Hold the Power and the Home keys for 10 seconds to force the device for hard reset.