Italy’s Mount Etna Lights up Sky Anew with Spectacular Lava and Ash Show (VIDEO & PHOTOS)
By Vittorio Hernandez | March 7, 2013 1:54 AM EST
After just barely two weeks of rest, Italy's tallest active volcano erupted anew on Tuesday night, creating another spectacular sky show seen even in space as it spewed lava and ash.
Italy's National Institute of Geophysics and Volcanology caught the eruption on video and posted it immediately on YouTube.
The eruption, however, did not affect air traffic at the airport which serves the nearby town of Catania, although Italian air carriers in the past had to change their routes to avoid damaged to their aircraft caused by the ash plume.
There were no reports of any injuries especially among residents of several inhabited villages on the slopes of the volcano located in Sicily. However, the nearby roads were covered with volcanic stones.
During the Feb 19 eruption, astronauts aboard the International Space Station saw the plume and took photos of the phenomenon. The astronauts described the ash plume as flowing east over the coast of Sicily and appears white rom space, indicating a lot of steam.
Photos were taken by astronauts Chris Hadfield and Kevin Ford, respetively.
(Photos from: http://www.slate.com/blogs/bad_astronomy/2013/03/02/mount_etna_active_eruptions_seen_by_astronauts_ on_the_space_station.html)
Etna's Bocca Nuova Crater also erupted in 2011 for 10 days, from Jan 10 to 20.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Zero-Gravity Update: Coffee Machine Brews Fresh ISSpresso For Astronauts
- Musical Training Enhances Long-Term Memory
- Sydney Heatwave Roundup: Mercury Rising To 40 Degrees, Severe Fire Warnings In Place
- Crop Production Amplifies Carbon Dioxide Cycle
- Stephen Hawking's Facebook Posts Tell You How The Cosmologist Reacts To 'Theory Of Everything' And 'Interstellar'
- Apple and Google Engage in Thermonuclear War, New Google Translate Chat App in the Works
- Russia's New Tactical Nuclear Weapons Program Growing Confident Against the US: Talks of World War III
- Walmart Offers the Best 2014 Black Friday Deals on iPhone 6, iPad Ai2 & Other Gadgets – Reports
- Update Samsung Galaxy S5 to Android 4.4.4 KitKat, Sprint Release and Installation
- More Nexus 6 Problems Arise with Android 5.0 Lollipop, Poor Benchmark Results and Other Issues
- HTC One M8 Android 5.0 Lollipop Release Delayed: Other Schedule and Installation Guide
- Israel''s Al Aqsa and East Jerusalem Issues Threatening Its Multi Billion Gas Deal With Jordan