Italy’s Mount Etna Lights up Sky Anew with Spectacular Lava and Ash Show (VIDEO & PHOTOS)
By Vittorio Hernandez | March 7, 2013 1:54 AM EST
After just barely two weeks of rest, Italy's tallest active volcano erupted anew on Tuesday night, creating another spectacular sky show seen even in space as it spewed lava and ash.
Italy's National Institute of Geophysics and Volcanology caught the eruption on video and posted it immediately on YouTube.
The eruption, however, did not affect air traffic at the airport which serves the nearby town of Catania, although Italian air carriers in the past had to change their routes to avoid damaged to their aircraft caused by the ash plume.
There were no reports of any injuries especially among residents of several inhabited villages on the slopes of the volcano located in Sicily. However, the nearby roads were covered with volcanic stones.
During the Feb 19 eruption, astronauts aboard the International Space Station saw the plume and took photos of the phenomenon. The astronauts described the ash plume as flowing east over the coast of Sicily and appears white rom space, indicating a lot of steam.
Photos were taken by astronauts Chris Hadfield and Kevin Ford, respetively.
(Photos from: http://www.slate.com/blogs/bad_astronomy/2013/03/02/mount_etna_active_eruptions_seen_by_astronauts_ on_the_space_station.html)
Etna's Bocca Nuova Crater also erupted in 2011 for 10 days, from Jan 10 to 20.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince Harry & Camilla Thurlow Getting Serious, St. Tropez Holiday Before The Prince’s 30th Birthday [PHOTOS]
- 2014 US Open: Hottest Male Tennis Players To Watch [PHOTOS]
- What Happens When You Give Up Sex For 12 Months? – Dialogue With Peter Lynagh – Exclusive
- 2014 US Open: Hottest Female Tennis Athletes [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- UFO Sighting in Australia: A Mysterious 'Flying' Object With Changing Colors Observed[Watch Video]
- Artificial Micro-Humans to Replace Animals in Lab Tests: 90 Million Animal Lives Would be Saved
- Images Of Solar Flare Captured By NASA [Watch Video]
- Volatile Volcanoes Are Waking Up
- Danish Authorities Are Being Complicit In Brutal Slaughtering Of Pilot Whales: Charlie Sheen; An Australian Arrested
- 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 is iPhone Air on Sept 19 Release Date: 5 Things to Consider Before Buying
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports
- Nexus 6 Release Date Update: Moto X+1 Look Leaked, Nexus X or Shamu Moved to Demo Phase
- Google Nexus 8 Confirmed as HTC T1 aka Volantis/Flounder with Freshly-Leaked Specs & Features – Reports
- HTC One M8 for Windows Vs. Nokia Lumia Icon, The Battle Of Windows Phones
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans
- iPhone 6 On Release Date To Feature Qualcomm MDM9625M LTE, 1GB RAM, Mobile Payment Deal With AMEX, 1334x750 Display