Italy’s Mount Etna Lights up Sky Anew with Spectacular Lava and Ash Show (VIDEO & PHOTOS)
By Vittorio Hernandez | March 7, 2013 1:54 AM EST
After just barely two weeks of rest, Italy's tallest active volcano erupted anew on Tuesday night, creating another spectacular sky show seen even in space as it spewed lava and ash.
Italy's National Institute of Geophysics and Volcanology caught the eruption on video and posted it immediately on YouTube.
The eruption, however, did not affect air traffic at the airport which serves the nearby town of Catania, although Italian air carriers in the past had to change their routes to avoid damaged to their aircraft caused by the ash plume.
There were no reports of any injuries especially among residents of several inhabited villages on the slopes of the volcano located in Sicily. However, the nearby roads were covered with volcanic stones.
During the Feb 19 eruption, astronauts aboard the International Space Station saw the plume and took photos of the phenomenon. The astronauts described the ash plume as flowing east over the coast of Sicily and appears white rom space, indicating a lot of steam.
Photos were taken by astronauts Chris Hadfield and Kevin Ford, respetively.
(Photos from: http://www.slate.com/blogs/bad_astronomy/2013/03/02/mount_etna_active_eruptions_seen_by_astronauts_ on_the_space_station.html)
Etna's Bocca Nuova Crater also erupted in 2011 for 10 days, from Jan 10 to 20.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- In Photos, Typhoon Rammasun Blasts the Philippines
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- HIV Cure: First Effective Cure to Have Long-Term Remission; 3 Factors to Check on Inactive Virus
- Coming Soon: AntiViral Gel in Condoms to Kill HIV Virus
- Melbourne Man Gives Up Sex For a Year; Donates £50,000 in Charity
- FDA Prioritises Review of ‘Abuse-Deterrent’ Painkiller
- Rapid Rise in Flu; Hospitals in New Zealand Struggle
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Soon Along with 2 More HTC Android Tablets – Reports
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales