Italy’s Mount Etna Lights up Sky Anew with Spectacular Lava and Ash Show (VIDEO & PHOTOS)
By Vittorio Hernandez | March 7, 2013 1:54 AM EST
After just barely two weeks of rest, Italy's tallest active volcano erupted anew on Tuesday night, creating another spectacular sky show seen even in space as it spewed lava and ash.
Italy's National Institute of Geophysics and Volcanology caught the eruption on video and posted it immediately on YouTube.
The eruption, however, did not affect air traffic at the airport which serves the nearby town of Catania, although Italian air carriers in the past had to change their routes to avoid damaged to their aircraft caused by the ash plume.
There were no reports of any injuries especially among residents of several inhabited villages on the slopes of the volcano located in Sicily. However, the nearby roads were covered with volcanic stones.
During the Feb 19 eruption, astronauts aboard the International Space Station saw the plume and took photos of the phenomenon. The astronauts described the ash plume as flowing east over the coast of Sicily and appears white rom space, indicating a lot of steam.
Photos were taken by astronauts Chris Hadfield and Kevin Ford, respetively.
(Photos from: http://www.slate.com/blogs/bad_astronomy/2013/03/02/mount_etna_active_eruptions_seen_by_astronauts_ on_the_space_station.html)
Etna's Bocca Nuova Crater also erupted in 2011 for 10 days, from Jan 10 to 20.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related
- Android Lollipop 5.0 Confirmed for Nov 3 Rollout as Nexus 6 Global Release Date is Delayed – Reports