Italy’s Mount Etna Lights up Sky Anew with Spectacular Lava and Ash Show (VIDEO & PHOTOS)
By Vittorio Hernandez | March 7, 2013 1:54 AM EST
After just barely two weeks of rest, Italy's tallest active volcano erupted anew on Tuesday night, creating another spectacular sky show seen even in space as it spewed lava and ash.
Italy's National Institute of Geophysics and Volcanology caught the eruption on video and posted it immediately on YouTube.
The eruption, however, did not affect air traffic at the airport which serves the nearby town of Catania, although Italian air carriers in the past had to change their routes to avoid damaged to their aircraft caused by the ash plume.
There were no reports of any injuries especially among residents of several inhabited villages on the slopes of the volcano located in Sicily. However, the nearby roads were covered with volcanic stones.
During the Feb 19 eruption, astronauts aboard the International Space Station saw the plume and took photos of the phenomenon. The astronauts described the ash plume as flowing east over the coast of Sicily and appears white rom space, indicating a lot of steam.
Photos were taken by astronauts Chris Hadfield and Kevin Ford, respetively.
(Photos from: http://www.slate.com/blogs/bad_astronomy/2013/03/02/mount_etna_active_eruptions_seen_by_astronauts_ on_the_space_station.html)
Etna's Bocca Nuova Crater also erupted in 2011 for 10 days, from Jan 10 to 20.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Pope Francis Meets Sudanese Woman Who Was Spared Death for Apostasy (PHOTOS)
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MH17: King Williem-Alexander, Queen Maxima Hold Solemn Reception Ceremony for Victims
- Jennifer Lawrence & Nicholas Hoult Allegedly Split: Mad Max Actor Cheats with Kristen Stewart & Riley Keough - Reports
- Prince George Birthday: Adorable New Pictures of George Touching a Butterfly on William's Hand Released [SEE PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Apple iPhone 6 on Two Confirmed Release Dates, New Parts Leaked Suggesting Bigger iPhone to Come
- Google Nexus 6, 8 with Android L on Release Date Promises Killer Mobile Device Experience
- iPhone 6 Release Date Relevance to iOS Newbies: Specs Meaning, Price Considerations
- Xiaomi Mi4 vs OnePlusOne vs Nexus 5: Mi4 is the ‘Perfect’ Phone
- Israeli Women Stripping Naked for IDF Soldiers
- HTC One M8 Android 4.4.3 KitKat Update Roll Out, Introducing the HTC One Remix
- The Pirate Bay Releases ‘The Mobile Bay’: Mobile Torrent Download Made Easier but Remains Illegal