‘Vishwaroopam’ Box Office Collection: Kamal Haasan Starrer Earns ₹1 Crore in Opening Weekend in Malaysia
By Ankita Mehta | March 6, 2013 10:17 PM EST
After creating new records at overseas and Indian box offices, Kamal Haasan's controversial film "Vishwaroopam" is rocking Malaysian theatres.
The spy thriller film was released in Malaysia on 28 February, almost a month after facing a ban. But the film is still hitting exceptional figures at the Malaysian box offices. After Rajinikanth's 2010 film "Endhiran", Haasan's film is the only one that received a fabulous response in the country.
"Vishwaroopam" in its opening weekend, including its Thursday premier, collected approximately ₹1.37 crore ($248,621) gross from 58 screens at the Malaysian box office.
The movie premiered on 24 January in Malaysia, but the Home Ministry call for its ban a day after its release. It opened to packed houses on that single day.
"We will refund those who purchased tickets through advance bookings, or allow them to use it for other films," the company's director Datuk R. Ramalingam told The Star, earlier in January.
According to Cinemalead.com, the movie grossed in ₹53 lakh on its 24 January premiere.
The overall five days collection of the film now stands at ₹1.9 crore at the Malaysian box office.
Meanwhile, in Tamil Nadu the film is still holding a very strong position at collection centres. In fact, "Vishwaroopam" is doing better than other films that were released later.
In the international market, the film is going strong in its sixth week. After six weeks both Telugu and Tamil versions of the film raked in approximately ₹6.8 crore from the US box office alone.
The film is directed and co-produced by Haasan. Apart from him, it also features Rahul Bose, Pooja Kumar, Andrea Jeremiah and Jaideep Ahlawat in important roles.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- This Is Why Japanese Princess Masako Attended First Palace Banquet After 11 Years
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers From Nov. 3-7, 2014: Hunter Tylo Comes Back To 'B&B' As Dr. Taylor Hamilton Hayes While Changes Are Being Made At Forrester Creations
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers For Oct. 30, 2014: Eric Names Rick The New CEO Of Forrester Creations After Finding Out About Ridge And Caroline [WATCH VIDEO]
- 'The Originals' Season 2: Joseph Morgan Talks About Nina Dobrev's Crossover, Julie Plec Reveals Which TVD Character She Wants In Spinoff Series
- ‘The Bachelor Australia’ Update: Louise And Blake To Make Their First Appearance As A Couple In Australia
- NATO: Russia's Been Conducting Too Many Military Flights Over Europe
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Moto X 2014 vs. Motorola DROID Turbo - Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Apple iPhone 6 Plus vs Motorola Droid Turbo: Comparsion On Processor, Software And Battery
- Australia Special Forces Await 'Delayed' Iraqi Visas Before Joining ISIS Fight
- Dismantling Of Fukushima Reactor 1 Faces Delays, US Judge Gives Sailor Go Signal To Push Through Lawsuit Against TEPCO Over Radiation
- ISIS Has Been Equipped With Advanced Anti-Aircraft Missiles