Google Nexus 10 was released on November 2012 and a part of the latest Google Nexus line-up of devices running
4.2 Jelly Bean, 1.7GHz dual-core processors, 2GB of RAM, and protected screen by Gorilla Glass 2. Android
To gain more power and full control, here is a tutorial on how to unlock bootloader, gain root access, and install a custom recovery.
This guide is intended to Google Nexus 10 with model number GT-P8110. Using the procedure below to other devices could destroy them.
Information about the guide is for instructional and educational purposes only. There is no 100 per cent guarantee that it will work all the time and under all cases.
Make sure to make backup of all data files of the device.
Doing the procedure is a personal risk, the developer will not be held responsible for any damage or undesired outcomes to your device.
Read thoroughly and understand the guide before performing any part of the instruction.
1. The Google Nexus 10 GT-P8110 with at least 50 per cent battery level.
2. A computer running Linux, Mac OS X, or Windows. The computer must be able to detect and communicate with the device.
3. For installing the drivers needed, click
4. Have a zip extraction tool installed on your computer such as WinRar or 7- Zip.
5. Disable all security softwares in the computer. This includes antivirus and firewall.
6. Download the
ChainFire autoroot kit for the Nexus 10.
7. Choose any of the three custom recovery images to use for the device:
Clockwork Mod Recovery
ClockworkMod Touch Recovery
8. Do not forget to create a backup of data files on your device.
1. Unzip the contents of the ChainFire auto root package into a folder on your computer. Three files and two folders will be extracted.
2. Rename the custom recovery image file into "recovery.img" for easier recall.
3. Copy the "recovery.img" into the "tools" sub-folder of the extraction folder. The custom recovery image should be in the same folder as the "fastboot-windows.exe
1. Shut down the Google Nexus 10
2. Press the Volume Up, Volume Down, and Power key altogether till the device reboots to Bootloader Mode.
3. To begin rooting process, double-click "root-windows.bat". A command prompt window will appear and contains warning text. Press Enter to continue.
4. A warning message on the tablet will appear. Use the volume keys to highlight yes and press the Power key to select. Afterwards, the script will begin rooting the device.
5. A red
logo indicates that the rooting script is working and the device will reboot afterwards. Android
6. Once the device reboots to normal mode, disconnect the tablet, and press any key to close the command prompt.
7. Check the application menu and look for "SuperSU. Verify the rooting privileges but downloading Root Check app on the Play Store.
1. Reboot the tablet to Bootloader Mode. Press Volume Up, Volume Down, and the Power key.
2. On the computer, open a command prompt and change directory to the "tools" sub-folder inside the main folder where ChainFire Auto Root package files were extracted.
3. Flash the custom recovery image. Type this in the command prompt, fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
4. After the installation, use this command to reboot the tablet: fastboot reboot-bootloader
5. Disconnect the tablet and use the volume keys to access the recovery mode. Once highlighted, select it using the Power key.
Congratulations! Your Google Nexus 10 is now rooted, has unlocked bootloader, and runs custom recovery.
For other Linux and Mac OS X, follow this link for the complete guide.
Google Nexus 10 tablet is available in
with a price of approximately $469 for the 16GB and $569 for the 32GB version. Australia
To contact the editor, e-mail: