New Pope 2013: Bettors’ Choice and Papabili from Ghana Proposes New World Order
By Vittorio Hernandez | March 5, 2013 4:26 PM EST
Even before the 115 cardinals in Vatican set the date for the conclave while they await the arrival of 12 more cardinals, an early favourite to be the successor of Pope Emeritus Benedict XVI is emerging - not among the red-capped bishops but among bettors.
According to Irish bookmaking site Paddy Power, the 64-year-old Ghanaian Cardinal Peter Turkson is the top pick among bettors.
Papal interest as well as news about sex abuse cases involving priests and even cardinals had intensified global speculations on who would lead the 1.2-billion-member Roman Catholic Church. Two hours after then Pope Benedict announced in mid-February his resignation by Feb 28, Paddy Power received more than $200,000 in bets on who would be the next pope.
The global bookmaker said more than 20,000 have placed their bets, majority on Cardinal Turkson, and Paddy Power expects the bets to breach $7 million as the conclave makes Paddy Power history by being the biggest round of non-sporting betting.
The cardinal is expected to be more controversial, besides the growing clamour for him to be the first black pope, after a Facebook post provided details of the cardinal's 2011 essay proposing a new world order.
The essay, titled Towards Reforming the International Finance and Monetary Systems in the Context of Global Public Authority, called to end Westphalian sovereignty and the establishment of a global public authority.
Cardinal Turkson, who is president of the Pontifical Council for Justice and Peace, listed three basic principles in the creation of a world government. These are it should be gradually implemented through peaceful methods, based on support of free-market economics but inspired by the values of charity and truth and established on a federal model of decentralised decision-making.
He proposed that the global body be used to enforce arbitration of international disputes and also the creation of a world central bank to make it easier to recapitalises banks using public funds.
He insisted Christians are duty-bound to support the formation of a world order.
Besides Cardinal Turkson, who has been given an 11-4 odds or becoming pope, other bettors' choices are Italian Cardinals Angelo Scola (3-1), Tarcisio Bertone (6-1) and Angelo Bagnasco (6-1), Canadian Cardinal Marc Ouellet (6-1) and Argentinean Cardinal Leonardo Sandri (12-1).
The American Gaming Association said betting on election results is illegal which is the reason by bookmakers in Nevada are not accepting betting on the pope. The association's spokesman added it is also illegal for U.S. residents to place bets with foreign bookmakers in the Internet.
Vatican rules leave the selection of the next pope solely on the hands of cardinals and it prohibits political-style campaigning. However, supporters of Cardinal Turkson had placed posters urging the cardinals to vote for him.
Media men covering the conclave believe the cardinal had nothing to do with the posters.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kristen Stewart Moving On With Nicholas Hoult, Jennifer Lawrence Dating Chris Martin – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton Suffocated in Kensington Palace, Queen Elizabeth Reported War With The Duchess [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Dating Reports: Jennifer Lawrence Vs Gwyneth Paltrow [PHOTOS]
- 9/11 Dust Cloud Most Likely Have Created Pregnancy Issues: Celebrities Who Posed Nude During Pregnancy
Join the Conversation
- Catholics Should Brace for Another Papal Conclave as Pope Francis Does Not Rule Out Retirement Over Belief He Has 2-3 More Years to Live
- Pope Francis Makes Prediction About His Death: Religious Leader Says He ‘Only Has Two To Three Years Left’; 'Deeply Pained' On The Loss Of Three Relatives
- Canadian Terror Suspect Set Free Due to Insufficient Evidence
- Saudi Arabia: Brothers Beheaded For Smuggling Marijuana Into The Kingdom
- ISIS: More Journalists Beheading To Come After James Foley and Steven Sotloff [Video]
- Moto X+1 is Likely Nexus 6 Template; Motorola Shamu is 1st Android Silver with Snapdragon 810 – Reports
- James Foley’s Executioner Has British Accent—A Chilling Reminder That ISIS Has Foreign Members
- ISIS Posts Graphic Beheading Video of US Journalist James Foley
- iPhone 6 Release Date Remains On Course for Sept-Oct 2014 as Apple Delays iWatch Debut to 2015
- Nexus 6 Release Date Dilemma with Motorola Shamu Details Pointing to Better Smartphone and Killer Features