A Look into SimCity 5: The Ups and Downs of the New City
By Gilda Galang | March 5, 2013 1:52 PM EST
After a month-long delay, after its announcement of a February release, SimCiy fans are looking forward to a new city adventure in the SimCity 5, and EA has confirmed the March release this time.
Before it hits the stores and you hit the street running for your copy, here are a few pre-release speculations, possibilities, and potentials at SimCity 2013, pegged to be the best version yet.
Pegged to be strength of the new game as well as a feature worthy of buzz is the supposed always on massive multiplayer mode, reports iDigitalTimes.
This has been a long-awaited feature since its last appearance in 1996. This means interacting with different cities, specializing in different markets, and experiencing different events, the highs and lows common in a real city, in the game.
But it can be both the bane and the boon of the game since SimCity is dependent on your Internet connection. When you experience a crash, then, most probably, so will your city.
Super slow installation
According to GadgetUnit, a major letdown would be the installation time, especially for fans who are already twitching with excitement to start the gameplay. Even though the review is based on a beta sampling of the game, the actual download is slow even at 300MB of a file.
Which begs the question of the SimCity servers holding up for the official launch. Since it has been a while since its last release, the demand for SimCity may be quite a load, and as Kotaku reports, may be a repeat of what happened with Diablo III in terms of server problems.
GlassBox engine power
Back then, SimCity relied mostly on map-based simulations and statistics to run your city, which gives one lacking element: realism. With the invention the GlassBox, you now have distinct simulation for each aspect of your city.
This means that people in the city interact uniquely with each other as they are a unique "agent" all their own. So each one adds weight to how your city runs.
"It's a new simulation engine that was developed here at Maxis to support agent-based simulation," said Lead Producer Kip Katsarelis to Wired. "It lets you simulate very simple objects that, when composed together, can do very complex things."
Caring for your citizens
With SimCity, it's not just about pure building. This time, you have to care about the people who live in them.
"People matter in this game. Players who aren't used to that idea of having to physically connect things together and make flows between things-I think that's probably the biggest change to overcome," said Stone Librande, lead designer of SimCity 5 to Joystiq.
SimCity 5 is set for release on March 5 for the US, March 7 for Australia, and March 8 for New Zealand and Europe, reports Kotaku.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Gennady Golovkin Next Fight Options: Canelo Alvarez, Miguel Cotto Or Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Sony Xperia Z3, Z1, Z1 Compact And Z Ultra Latest Firmware 23.0.A.2.108 And 14.4.A.0.155 Certified
- Android 5.0 Lollipop For Sony Xperia Z Devices Arriving By 2015; Z Ultra GPE Update Confirmed In 2014
- Qualcomm Snapdragon 64-Bit Octa-Core CPU Expected On Samsung Galaxy S6 And Sony Xperia Z4
- Nexus 9 NVIDIA Tegra K1 Beats Nexus 6 Adreno 420, Galaxy Note 4 Mali T-760 In GPU Tests
- Android 5.0 Lollipop SDK Makes Rooting More Difficult And Overriding Impose Serious Risk To Attacks
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date is Doomed as Team Evad3rs Opts Out, Pangu Hits Snag – Report
- Google Nexus 6 vs. iPhone 5S: 4 Important Things to Consider Before Switching to Android Lollipop