Precious Metals Remain Quiet as Japan Prepares to Battle Deflation
By Eric McWhinnie | March 5, 2013 7:24 AM EST
On Monday, gold (NYSEARCA:GLD) futures for April delivery, the most active contract, edged 10 cents higher to settle at $1,572.40 per ounce, while silver (NYSEARCA:SLV) futures for May traded flat at $28.50.
The two precious metals remain stuck in consolidation mode, despite central banks sticking to their loose monetary policies. The incoming officials at the Bank of Japan are reiterating calls for the central bank to fight deflation more.
Kikuo Iwata, one of the nominees for a governor post, claims, “It’s monetary policy alone that will be able to alter deflationary expectations. Firms won’t spend their money as they are awash with cash on hand as long as deflation persists. But firms will start using their cash when inflation expectations emerge.”
Meanwhile, governor nominee Haruhiko Kuroda says, “If I were appointed as governor, I would do everything possible to get out of deflation.”
In afternoon trading, the SPDR Gold Trust (NYSEARCA:GLD) declined 0.20 percent, while the iShares Silver Trust (NYSEARCA:SLV) edged 0.05 percent lower. Major gold miners (NYSEARCA:GDX) such as Barrick Gold (NYSE:ABX) and Newmont Mining (NYSE:NEM) both dropped more than 2 percent to make fresh 52-week lows. Silver names such as Endeavour Silver (NYSE:EXK) and First Majestic Silver (NYSE:AG) plunged 7.2 percent and 4.4 percent, respectively.
Don’t Miss: How Strong is Gold Demand?
If you would like to receive professional analysis on miners and other precious metal investments, we invite you to try our premium service free for 14 days.
Disclosure: Long EXK, AG, HL, PHYS
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kristen Stewart Moving On With Nicholas Hoult, Jennifer Lawrence Dating Chris Martin – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Dating Reports: Jennifer Lawrence Vs Gwyneth Paltrow [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton Suffocated in Kensington Palace, Queen Elizabeth Reported War With The Duchess [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Everything To Know [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Worldwide Appetite for Gold Slumps 16% in 2Q 2014 – WGC
- Gold in China: 127-Tonne Gold Reserves Tapped in Xinjiang
- Global Markets Overview – July 15, 2014
- Honduran Gold Mine Caves in; 8 Rescued, 3 Remain Trapped (PHOTOS)
- Chinese Govt Tightens Control on Gold to Curb Imports, Could Drop 400T from 2013 – Report
- Saudi Arabia: Brothers Beheaded For Smuggling Marijuana Into The Kingdom
- ISIS: More Journalists Beheading To Come After James Foley and Steven Sotloff [Video]
- Moto X+1 is Likely Nexus 6 Template; Motorola Shamu is 1st Android Silver with Snapdragon 810 – Reports
- ISIS Posts Graphic Beheading Video of US Journalist James Foley
- James Foley’s Executioner Has British Accent—A Chilling Reminder That ISIS Has Foreign Members
- Nexus 6 Release Date Dilemma with Motorola Shamu Details Pointing to Better Smartphone and Killer Features
- iPhone 6 Release Date Remains On Course for Sept-Oct 2014 as Apple Delays iWatch Debut to 2015