Precious Metals Remain Quiet as Japan Prepares to Battle Deflation
By Eric McWhinnie | March 5, 2013 7:24 AM EST
On Monday, gold (NYSEARCA:GLD) futures for April delivery, the most active contract, edged 10 cents higher to settle at $1,572.40 per ounce, while silver (NYSEARCA:SLV) futures for May traded flat at $28.50.
The two precious metals remain stuck in consolidation mode, despite central banks sticking to their loose monetary policies. The incoming officials at the Bank of Japan are reiterating calls for the central bank to fight deflation more.
Kikuo Iwata, one of the nominees for a governor post, claims, “It’s monetary policy alone that will be able to alter deflationary expectations. Firms won’t spend their money as they are awash with cash on hand as long as deflation persists. But firms will start using their cash when inflation expectations emerge.”
Meanwhile, governor nominee Haruhiko Kuroda says, “If I were appointed as governor, I would do everything possible to get out of deflation.”
In afternoon trading, the SPDR Gold Trust (NYSEARCA:GLD) declined 0.20 percent, while the iShares Silver Trust (NYSEARCA:SLV) edged 0.05 percent lower. Major gold miners (NYSEARCA:GDX) such as Barrick Gold (NYSE:ABX) and Newmont Mining (NYSE:NEM) both dropped more than 2 percent to make fresh 52-week lows. Silver names such as Endeavour Silver (NYSE:EXK) and First Majestic Silver (NYSE:AG) plunged 7.2 percent and 4.4 percent, respectively.
Don’t Miss: How Strong is Gold Demand?
If you would like to receive professional analysis on miners and other precious metal investments, we invite you to try our premium service free for 14 days.
Disclosure: Long EXK, AG, HL, PHYS
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
Join the Conversation
- Global Markets Overview – July 15, 2014
- Honduran Gold Mine Caves in; 8 Rescued, 3 Remain Trapped (PHOTOS)
- Chinese Govt Tightens Control on Gold to Curb Imports, Could Drop 400T from 2013 – Report
- ANZ Seeks Role in Pilot Global Gold Trading Platform in Shanghai
- US California Couple Sells 1,400 Rare Gold Coins Found in Backyard, Now Millionaires
- Samsung Galaxy S5 Alpha Leaks Online: Release Date, Five Features to Wait for New Smart Phone
- Photos of Motorola Moto X+1 Prototype and Specs Leak Online, Release Date, Four Fresh Features Revealed
- Sony Xperia Z3: Release Date, Five Features to Expect from New Android Smart Phone
- Top Surprising Features Of iOS 8
- Top 4 Reasons Why iPhone 6 Will Hit Big Soon After its Sept 2014 Release Date
- 5 Food Scandals That Shocked The World
- Iran Leader Asks Muslims to Supply Arms to Palestine, Calls Israel ‘Rapacious Wolf’