Precious Metals Remain Quiet as Japan Prepares to Battle Deflation
By Eric McWhinnie | March 5, 2013 7:24 AM EST
On Monday, gold (NYSEARCA:GLD) futures for April delivery, the most active contract, edged 10 cents higher to settle at $1,572.40 per ounce, while silver (NYSEARCA:SLV) futures for May traded flat at $28.50.
The two precious metals remain stuck in consolidation mode, despite central banks sticking to their loose monetary policies. The incoming officials at the Bank of Japan are reiterating calls for the central bank to fight deflation more.
Kikuo Iwata, one of the nominees for a governor post, claims, “It’s monetary policy alone that will be able to alter deflationary expectations. Firms won’t spend their money as they are awash with cash on hand as long as deflation persists. But firms will start using their cash when inflation expectations emerge.”
Meanwhile, governor nominee Haruhiko Kuroda says, “If I were appointed as governor, I would do everything possible to get out of deflation.”
In afternoon trading, the SPDR Gold Trust (NYSEARCA:GLD) declined 0.20 percent, while the iShares Silver Trust (NYSEARCA:SLV) edged 0.05 percent lower. Major gold miners (NYSEARCA:GDX) such as Barrick Gold (NYSE:ABX) and Newmont Mining (NYSE:NEM) both dropped more than 2 percent to make fresh 52-week lows. Silver names such as Endeavour Silver (NYSE:EXK) and First Majestic Silver (NYSE:AG) plunged 7.2 percent and 4.4 percent, respectively.
Don’t Miss: How Strong is Gold Demand?
If you would like to receive professional analysis on miners and other precious metal investments, we invite you to try our premium service free for 14 days.
Disclosure: Long EXK, AG, HL, PHYS
Most Popular Slideshows
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- Kendall Jenner Could Be Next Victoria's Secret Angel [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- Champions League Results: Barcelona Barely Escapes With A Win, Chelsea Fails To Hold On To The Lead [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Google Nexus 6 Release Date on Q4 2014 Confirmed by T-Mobile Featuring Wi-Fi Calling
- 2 Reasons Nexus 6 Release Date is Worth the Wait: Android L Data Encryption & Material Design
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs. BlackBerry Passport — Specifications, Features, Release Date And Price Showdown
- 3 Signs Apple iPhone 6 Could be in Short Supply Following its Sept 19 Release Date
- Australia Actively Rallying Support For International Coalition Against ISIS
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Update: Pangu Devs Will Outrace Evad3rs in Rollout of iPhone 6, iPad Unlocker
- Micromax Canvas A1 Vs Spice Dream Uno Vs Karbonn Sparkle V: A Choice On Which Android Is The Best