iPhone 5S, iPhone 6 Release Dates Set on August 2013 and Q1 2014?
By Kristin Dian Mariano | March 4, 2013 10:26 AM EST
According to AppleInsider, the new date could be August 2013 and early 2014. The Apple-centered website also reported that Chinese company Foxconn, the manufacturer behind most of Apple's products, will exclusively produce the iPhone 6 and iPhone 5S.
Very little is known about the upcoming smartphones. However, it is speculated that the cheaper iPhone will have the same specs and features like that of the iPhone 4 or 4S, with a few additions.
AppleInsider also reported that either the iPhone 6 or the iPhone 5S would land in China Mobile, the largest cellular service provider in China. Many analysts believe that Apple's growth will be severely limited until it is able to sign a deal with China Mobile, which has nearly 700 million subscribers.
Japanese blog Macotakara, which has reported accurate details surrounding unannounced Apple products in the past, claimed that the upcoming iPhone 6 and iPhone 5S prep with a 4.5 inch screen display and polycarbonate body for its 2014 release date.
According to the blog, the new iPhone will feature a polycarbonate body similar to the material used on Apple's discontinued base-model MacBook laptop. The new handset will supposedly feature a larger 4.5-inch display and will be slightly thicker than current iPhone models as well.
Apple reportedly hopes to hit a retail price point of $330, which is significantly lower than the $650 unsubsidized price of the current iPhone 5.
Apple are expected to include an improved camera in the iPhone 6 and/or iPhone 5S which is rumoured to be capable of taking "Super HD" pictures. In order to take snaps at that resolution it'll need to have at least a 13 mega-pixel camera.
The lack of NFC support on the iPhone 5 was one of the biggest criticisms aimed at Apple's smartphone. Rumours suggest that the iPhone 5S could include support for the contact-less technology which can be used to pay for items in retail stores. Other features rumoured to be included in the handset is the A7 quad core chip processor, Retina or IGZO screen display among others.
However, the Cupertino-based company remained tight-lipped on the details of the upcoming smartphones.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
Join the Conversation
- Samsung Galaxy S5 Alpha Leaks Online: Release Date, Five Features to Wait for New Smart Phone
- Photos of Motorola Moto X+1 Prototype and Specs Leak Online, Release Date, Four Fresh Features Revealed
- Sony Xperia Z3: Release Date, Five Features to Expect from New Android Smart Phone
- Nexus 6 Likely Confirmed as Motorola 5.9-Inch Phablet on Release Date – Report
- Apple on 5.5-inch iPhone 6 Release Will Not Happen Until 2015 with Stocks Poised to Soar
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MH17: Parents of Australian Passenger Want ‘Space Scientists’ to Investigate Crash; Believe in ‘Possibility’ of Survival -- Report
- Childhood Obesity is Strongly Linked With Early Puberty: Study Reveals
- Why Internet of Things is the Next Big Thing for Tech Giants like Samsung, Google and Apple
- Instagram's Newest App Bolt Now Available Exclusively in New Zealand, Singapore and South Africa
- Megan Fox's Weight Loss Aided by Low Carb Paleo Diet: Benefits of the Diet