iPhone 5S, iPhone 6 Release Dates Set on August 2013 and Q1 2014?
By Kristin Dian Mariano | March 4, 2013 10:26 AM EST
According to AppleInsider, the new date could be August 2013 and early 2014. The Apple-centered website also reported that Chinese company Foxconn, the manufacturer behind most of Apple's products, will exclusively produce the iPhone 6 and iPhone 5S.
Very little is known about the upcoming smartphones. However, it is speculated that the cheaper iPhone will have the same specs and features like that of the iPhone 4 or 4S, with a few additions.
AppleInsider also reported that either the iPhone 6 or the iPhone 5S would land in China Mobile, the largest cellular service provider in China. Many analysts believe that Apple's growth will be severely limited until it is able to sign a deal with China Mobile, which has nearly 700 million subscribers.
Japanese blog Macotakara, which has reported accurate details surrounding unannounced Apple products in the past, claimed that the upcoming iPhone 6 and iPhone 5S prep with a 4.5 inch screen display and polycarbonate body for its 2014 release date.
According to the blog, the new iPhone will feature a polycarbonate body similar to the material used on Apple's discontinued base-model MacBook laptop. The new handset will supposedly feature a larger 4.5-inch display and will be slightly thicker than current iPhone models as well.
Apple reportedly hopes to hit a retail price point of $330, which is significantly lower than the $650 unsubsidized price of the current iPhone 5.
Apple are expected to include an improved camera in the iPhone 6 and/or iPhone 5S which is rumoured to be capable of taking "Super HD" pictures. In order to take snaps at that resolution it'll need to have at least a 13 mega-pixel camera.
The lack of NFC support on the iPhone 5 was one of the biggest criticisms aimed at Apple's smartphone. Rumours suggest that the iPhone 5S could include support for the contact-less technology which can be used to pay for items in retail stores. Other features rumoured to be included in the handset is the A7 quad core chip processor, Retina or IGZO screen display among others.
However, the Cupertino-based company remained tight-lipped on the details of the upcoming smartphones.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Real Life ‘Frozen’: Snow Overwhelms The US, Kills 7; More To Come (Pictures)
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 8 Spoilers: Daryl Dixon Is Set To Burn The Place Down in ‘Coda’
- Angelina Jolie, Brad Pitt in Sydney for ‘Unbroken’ Red Carpet Premiere [PHOTOS]
- G20 Summit Awkward Moments: Putin Yawns, Mystery Bubbles Appear, F18 Drama Ensues
Join the Conversation
- Walmart Early Price Matching Special Event On Nov. 21, 2014 Matches Its Competitors' Black Friday 2014 Prices And Includes Exclusive Deals For Samsung LED HDTVs And iPad Air 2 [WATCH VIDEO]
- US Plane Flying Over Russian Skies Spotted; Vladimir Putin Ready For 'Practical Cooperation' With US
- Walmart Pre-Black Friday 2014 Sale On Nov. 21, 2014 Includes Discounts On The 'NBA 2K15' For PS4 And The 'Skylanders Trap Team’ Starter Kit [WATCH VIDEO]
- Alleged 'Microsoft Lumia 1030' Front Panel Leaked With Capacitive Buttons; 'Xbox One' Owners To Get Free Goodies On Anniversary
- Black Friday 2014 Sale: Top Deals On Game Consoles Xbox One, PS4, Nintendo Wii U And More
- Nexus 6 Release Date And Price Under AT&T, T-Mobile And Sprint Listed
- Cold War 2: Russia, China And North Korea’s Blacklisted Company Fortify Alliance -- Reports