New York Knicks Vs. Miami Heat: Where To Watch Live, TV Info, Preview, Betting Odds, Prediction
March 4, 2013 1:49 AM EST
When the New York Knicks beat the Miami Heat for the second time earlier this season, both clubs were in completely different places then they are today.
The Knicks were on a historic franchise tear, knocking down three-pointers at a rapid-fire pace, out-hustling and out-defending every opponent, and rested atop the Eastern Conference.
Miami was still much like the team that won last year’s championship, but weren’t overwhelming teams on a nightly basis, and struggled to clean the glass.
As they meet Sunday afternoon at Madison Square Garden, the Heat reign with the second best record in the NBA, and the Knicks suffered two loss streaks of three or more games over the last two months and are six back from Miami.
New York has defeated the Heat twice already this season, each by 20 points, and largely let Miami’s incumbent MVP LeBron James go wild, while containing the rest of the club, and launching 18 three-pointers back on Dec. 6. The Knicks had a huge chip on their shoulder after Miami eliminated them 4-1 in the first round of last year’s playoffs.
Most of the Heat’s success can be attributed to James’s monumental run in February. The 28-year-old averaged 29.7 points, 7.5 rebounds, 7.8 assists and shot 43 percent from three and 64 percent overall from the floor.
Miami went 12-1 through February, and are currently riding a 13-game win streak after dropping the Memphis Grizzlies 98-91 Friday with James struggling.
With James going 4-for-14, Dwyane Wade stepped up with 22 points and eight assists, and Shane Battier came off the bench to knock down four of five three pointers for 14 points. Poor shooting aside, James nearly pulled off a triple double with 18 points, eight rebounds, and 10 assists.
A win agains the Knicks is pivotal, especially with their 0-2 record agains the No. 3 Indiana Pacers. The Knicks are 1-2 against the Pacers this season, and will have to watch their backs for the remainder of the season.
Miami is still struggling on the boards, ranking last in the league, but the Knicks are exactly cleaning the glass either.
New York is 21 st overall in rebounding, with center Tyson Chandler averaging 11.4 boards per game, and the next closest Knick, Carmelo Anthony, pulling down 6.4 a contest.
After escaping Golden State’s Stephen Curry and his 54 points and 11 three-pointers earlier this week, the Knicks toppled the Washington Wizards 96-88 for their third straight win.
Anthony scored 30 points, and point guard Raymond Felton went 9-for-18 for 23 points, while the Knicks struggled from three, shooting 28 percent.
New York head coach Mike Woodson turned a few heads by inserting reserve guard James White into the starting lineup in favor of former All-Star Jason Kidd, who has shot below 20 percent from the field in his last 10 games.
The game tips off at 1 p.m. Eastern time and will be broadcast by ABC.
Betting Odds: Miami is favored by 4.5 points
Over/Under: 198 points
Prediction: Defending the perimeter, and forcing James to shoot jump shots disrupts the Heat’s flow, and New York will largely try to contain Wade, and keep Chandler out of foul trouble. Anthony will get his points, and Felton should have some early success penetrating and dishing out to the three-point line. In the fourth, James will take over on both ends and carry Miami to a big road victory.
Predicted Score: Miami 104, New York 98
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Boxing Analyst John Scully Says Floyd Mayweather Is Slipping But Manny Pacquiao Won’t Win In Super Fight In 2015
- Freddie Roach Provoking ‘Washed-Up’ Floyd Mayweather Jr., Says Manny Pacquiao Will KO Undefeated American
- Sharapova, Halep, Ivanovic, Wozniacki, Kvitova, Radwanska, Kerber Make Early Commitment To Stuttgart Open
- ‘Floyd Rhymes With Avoid,’ Says Manny Pacquiao
- 2014 Dancing With The Stars Australia: Former AFL Star David Rodan Declared Winner
- Target’s ‘Surprise Doorbusters’ Black Friday 2014 Deals On TV Sets, Entertainment Centres, DVD Players And More
- IKEA Black Friday 2014 Ad Includes Discounts On Home Furnishings, Appliances, Kitchen Designs, Beds, Sofas, Mattresses And Toys
- T-Mobile’s Black Friday 2014 Deals On Apple iPhone 6, Samsung Galaxy Note 4/Edge, Nexus 6, HTC One M8, LG G3, iPad Air 2 And Mini 3
- 5 Proofs Russia is Geared-Up for Shooting War with U.S. and Can Win Future Nuclear Showdown
- Black Friday And Cyber Monday Sale 2014: AT&T's Cricket Wireless Offers Discounts On Lumia 1320, Galaxy S5, S4 And HTC Desire 510
- ISIS Kidnaps Iraqi Defence Minister’s Family, Executes Female Parliament Candidates
- ISIS Drug Transit From Afghanistan To Europe Confirmed By Russia: Money Goes Into Terror Funding And In New Recruitments