Manchester United Suffer Blow in Signing Argentine Star
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | March 1, 2013 7:13 PM EST
Erik Lamela's agent has denied interest from Premier League leaders Manchester United. The AS Roma midfielder is in sensational form in the Italian Serie A this season, with 11 goals and two assists from 21 league games. The Express believes United (and Spanish giants Barcelona) are interested in the Argentine international, as well as his club mate Marquinhos.
"No, there is no truth in that at all. For the moment, there is no offer from Manchester United. Obviously I have a relationship with them, but we have never discussed this particular topic. It's the same with Roma, a club I have a continuous relationship with. It's just too soon to be talking about the transfer market," Lamela's agent, Pablo Sabbag, told Gazzetta Giallorossa; Lamela joined the Stadio Olimpico side in 2011.
Meanwhile, the competition for Lamela's services continues to grow; Premier League champions Manchester City have reportedly joined Sir Alex Ferguson and Barcelona on the list of the 20-year-old playmaker's admirers.
Alonso Prepared for United-Madrid Clash
In other news, Spanish champions Real Madrid will visit Old Trafford next midweek, in the second leg of a Champions League knock-out tie. The first leg, at the Santiago Bernabeu in Spain, finished 1-1. The encounter in Manchester will see Portuguese international Cristiano Ronaldo make his first competitive return against United, since leaving for a world record fee.
And as difficult as the match will be, ex-Liverpool midfielder Xabi Alonso is confident of a good result for his side. The 31-year-old World Cup and European Championship winner with Spain has played against Ferguson several times in the past, as a Reds' star.
"From the fans' point of view and because of the history of both clubs, this meeting is pure football. For Cristiano, who wore the United shirt for many years, it is something even more special. It is for me too. When I played for Liverpool, the games against United were very intense and important due to the rivalry that existed between the clubs," Alonso explained.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao Calls Out On Floyd Mayweather Jr. Again After Unbeaten Boxer Mocks Him With His KO Video
- NFL Thanksgiving Games: Chicago Vs. Detroit, Philadelphia Vs. Dallas, And Seattle Vs. San Francisco Live Streaming Info and Preview
- 2014 NFL Thanksgiving Games Results: Detroit Lions, Philadelphia Eagles, Seattle Seahawks Notch All-Important Wins With Major Postseason Implications
- Derrick Rose Is Lying About His Health Says ESPN Analyst Stephen A. Smith
- Andy Murray, Ana Ivanovic, And Other Tennis Stars Arrive In Manila For The IPTL; Murray Meets Manny Pacquiao
- Revealed: Vladimir Putin Plotting To Invade Europe – Report
- 5 Proofs Russia is Geared-Up for Shooting War with U.S. and Can Win Future Nuclear Showdown
- IKEA Black Friday 2014 Ad Includes Discounts On Home Furnishings, Appliances, Kitchen Designs, Beds, Sofas, Mattresses And Toys
- Australian and Other Select Earth Locations Hold Proofs Life Once Existed On Mars – Report
- Samsung Galaxy S6 Will Shatter Records with 64-Bit Snapdragon, 21MP Camera and Bendable Design
- Lowe's Black Friday 2014 Deals Include Up To 40% Off On Select Major Appliances, Plus Free Shipping For Orders Of $19 Or More
- Bill Clinton At It Again, Caught By Camera In Jerusalem Peeking At Woman’s Breast