Manchester United Suffer Blow in Signing Argentine Star
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | March 1, 2013 7:13 PM EST
Erik Lamela's agent has denied interest from Premier League leaders Manchester United. The AS Roma midfielder is in sensational form in the Italian Serie A this season, with 11 goals and two assists from 21 league games. The Express believes United (and Spanish giants Barcelona) are interested in the Argentine international, as well as his club mate Marquinhos.
"No, there is no truth in that at all. For the moment, there is no offer from Manchester United. Obviously I have a relationship with them, but we have never discussed this particular topic. It's the same with Roma, a club I have a continuous relationship with. It's just too soon to be talking about the transfer market," Lamela's agent, Pablo Sabbag, told Gazzetta Giallorossa; Lamela joined the Stadio Olimpico side in 2011.
Meanwhile, the competition for Lamela's services continues to grow; Premier League champions Manchester City have reportedly joined Sir Alex Ferguson and Barcelona on the list of the 20-year-old playmaker's admirers.
Alonso Prepared for United-Madrid Clash
In other news, Spanish champions Real Madrid will visit Old Trafford next midweek, in the second leg of a Champions League knock-out tie. The first leg, at the Santiago Bernabeu in Spain, finished 1-1. The encounter in Manchester will see Portuguese international Cristiano Ronaldo make his first competitive return against United, since leaving for a world record fee.
And as difficult as the match will be, ex-Liverpool midfielder Xabi Alonso is confident of a good result for his side. The 31-year-old World Cup and European Championship winner with Spain has played against Ferguson several times in the past, as a Reds' star.
"From the fans' point of view and because of the history of both clubs, this meeting is pure football. For Cristiano, who wore the United shirt for many years, it is something even more special. It is for me too. When I played for Liverpool, the games against United were very intense and important due to the rivalry that existed between the clubs," Alonso explained.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- ‘Sons of Anarchy’ Season 7 Finale Spoilers: Kurt Sutter On Ending The Biker Series And Picking The Right Song For The Final Ride
- Prince Charles’ Wife Camilla Parker-Bowles In Drug Scandal - Reports
- Prince Harry Kissing Mystery Blond, Cressida Bonas & Camilla Thurlow Are Distant Memory
- St. Louis Rams 28, Seattle Seahawks 26 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Jules Bianchi Latest Update: F1 Driver's Father Says Son In A Desperate Situation
- Manny Pacquiao Chasing Floyd Mayweather Jr. Because Of Money But Says Undefeated American Is Afraid Of Filipino - Analysts
- Floyd Mayweather Trains Justin Bieber In The Boxing Ring
- Jules Bianchi Latest Update: Driver's Mother Says People 'Shirking Responsibility' About The Accident
- Novak Djokovic Aims For World No. 1 Rank In 2015, Becker Says
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Redmi Note 2 vs iPhone 6: Samsung in Danger with Depressing Q3
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date Likely this October 2014 with Pangu not Evad3rs Firming Up as Creator
- Top 4 Free-To-Download Apps for Fuller iPhone 6, 6 Plus Experience
- Battery Saving Android 5.0 Lollipop Feature Extends The Battery Life Of Your Android Device By 90 Minutes And Displays Orange Bar While Power Saving Mode Is On
- Apple Inc. (AAPL) Stock Set to Soar Beyond $100 Despite Decline After New iPad Launch
- Russia Beefs Up Gold Reserves To Offset Heat of Sanctions And Undercut Dollar
- Australia's 'No Way' Anti-Asylum Seeker Poster Sparks Outrage