Dave Chappelle, Chris Rock Tease Possible Tour During Surprise Standup Set In New York City
By IB Times Staff Reporter | March 1, 2013 10:38 AM EST
Comedy fans across the Internet have been salivating over the new rumor that standup titans Chris Rock and Dave Chappelle are considering a joint tour.
During a trip to New York this week, Chappelle, who has stayed mostly out of the public eye since abruptly quitting his Comedy Central series in 2005, has been surprising audiences by making impromptu performances at comedy clubs. He was most recently spotted Tuesday night at the Comedy Cellar on Manhattan’s Lower East Side, where he joined Rock onstage.
To a wowed audience, the pair riffed off each other’s jokes and openly bandied about hitting the road in a tour that would almost certainly usurp any series of comedy performances that have come before.
It all began with a surprise. After the normally scheduled show, host of the night William Stephenson beckoned the crowd to remain seated, at which point, The Comics Comic reported, Chappelle jumped onstage and deliver roughly 45 minutes of material. As if that wasn’t enough, he was then joined by Rock, widely considered one of the greatest standups to ever grace the stage.
“Aw, you lucky mother f***ers,” Rock told the small audience.
They discussed the Oscars, President Barack Obama’s recent $20,000-per-plate fundraiser at Jay-Z’s 40/40 Club, Prince (who in the past admitted he’s a fan of Chappelle’s impression of him), and fellow standup Kevin Hart, who sold out concerts at Madison Square Garden. Even Arsenio Hall came up, but what drew the most attention was when they said that if they could get their schedules to line up, a tour could be in the works.
“Come out to Oakland,” Chappelle told Rock of possible future appearances.
“You should come down to West Palm,” Rock replied. He said it might be possible after he finishes work on a movie scheduled to film in late spring and into the summer.
“I’ve got time between now and the movie,” Rock said. “By Halloween, I could do dates.”
“After Tuesday, I’m free for like 11 years,” Chappelle responded.
Rock and Chappelle again hinted at the possibility of a tour when they met onstage again on Wednesday. This time Questlove, drummer for The Roots and regular band member on "Late Night with Jimmy Fallon," was on hand to live tweet the night’s punchlines.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Gennady Golovkin Next Fight Options: Canelo Alvarez, Miguel Cotto Or Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Ian Somerhalder–Nina Dobrev Reunion Not Happening: 'The Vampire Diaries' (TVD) Star Is 'Falling In Love' With Nikki Reed—Report
- ‘Big Brother Australia’ Evictee Jason Rose Opens Up About His Family’s Acceptance of His Sexuality, Cat and Lawson’s Illicit Love Affair [VIDEO]
- Ian Somerhalder Girlfriend: 'Twilight' Actress Nikki Reed Heads Back To Los Angeles Solo, Spotted Partying With Michelle Rodriguez At A Fashion Event
- 'Arrow' Season 3, Episode 3 Spoilers: Merlyn vs Queen; Thea Reborn; Felicity Smoak Gets New Boss [Watch Arrow 3x03 Promo Video]
- ‘The Young And The Restless’ Spoilers For Oct. 23: Find Out What Happens When Phyllis Meets Kelly
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date is Doomed as Team Evad3rs Opts Out, Pangu Hits Snag – Report
- Google Nexus 6 vs. iPhone 5S: 4 Important Things to Consider Before Switching to Android Lollipop