Dave Chappelle, Chris Rock Tease Possible Tour During Surprise Standup Set In New York City
By IB Times Staff Reporter | March 1, 2013 10:38 AM EST
Comedy fans across the Internet have been salivating over the new rumor that standup titans Chris Rock and Dave Chappelle are considering a joint tour.
During a trip to New York this week, Chappelle, who has stayed mostly out of the public eye since abruptly quitting his Comedy Central series in 2005, has been surprising audiences by making impromptu performances at comedy clubs. He was most recently spotted Tuesday night at the Comedy Cellar on Manhattan’s Lower East Side, where he joined Rock onstage.
To a wowed audience, the pair riffed off each other’s jokes and openly bandied about hitting the road in a tour that would almost certainly usurp any series of comedy performances that have come before.
It all began with a surprise. After the normally scheduled show, host of the night William Stephenson beckoned the crowd to remain seated, at which point, The Comics Comic reported, Chappelle jumped onstage and deliver roughly 45 minutes of material. As if that wasn’t enough, he was then joined by Rock, widely considered one of the greatest standups to ever grace the stage.
“Aw, you lucky mother f***ers,” Rock told the small audience.
They discussed the Oscars, President Barack Obama’s recent $20,000-per-plate fundraiser at Jay-Z’s 40/40 Club, Prince (who in the past admitted he’s a fan of Chappelle’s impression of him), and fellow standup Kevin Hart, who sold out concerts at Madison Square Garden. Even Arsenio Hall came up, but what drew the most attention was when they said that if they could get their schedules to line up, a tour could be in the works.
“Come out to Oakland,” Chappelle told Rock of possible future appearances.
“You should come down to West Palm,” Rock replied. He said it might be possible after he finishes work on a movie scheduled to film in late spring and into the summer.
“I’ve got time between now and the movie,” Rock said. “By Halloween, I could do dates.”
“After Tuesday, I’m free for like 11 years,” Chappelle responded.
Rock and Chappelle again hinted at the possibility of a tour when they met onstage again on Wednesday. This time Questlove, drummer for The Roots and regular band member on "Late Night with Jimmy Fallon," was on hand to live tweet the night’s punchlines.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- ‘The Young And The Restless’ (Y&R) Nov. 26 Spoilers: Victoria Finds Who The Father Of Her Child Is And Jack And Phyllis Rekindle Romance
- Kate Middleton Cries As She Listens To A Moving Tale Of A Mother Who Lost Her Infant Daughter
- ‘Dancing With The Stars’ (DWTS) Season 19 (2014) Finale Recap: And The Winner Is…[Spoilers]
- Kris Jenner Shocks Boyfriend Corey Gamble In The Bedroom With Her Tricks And Fabulous Sex Life
- 'Glee' Season 6 Spoilers, Air Date: Naya Rivera Teases Wedding In Final Chapter, Lea Michele Tweets 700th Song Number
- Black Friday And Cyber Monday Sale 2014: AT&T's Cricket Wireless Offers Discounts On Lumia 1320, Galaxy S5, S4 And HTC Desire 510
- ISIS Kidnaps Iraqi Defence Minister’s Family, Executes Female Parliament Candidates
- '$2,000 For Sex'—Pleads Unlucky-in-Love Guy On OKCupid
- Target’s ‘Surprise Doorbusters’ Black Friday 2014 Deals On TV Sets, Entertainment Centres, DVD Players And More
- T-Mobile’s Black Friday 2014 Deals On Apple iPhone 6, Samsung Galaxy Note 4/Edge, Nexus 6, HTC One M8, LG G3, iPad Air 2 And Mini 3
- ISIS Drug Transit From Afghanistan To Europe Confirmed By Russia: Money Goes Into Terror Funding And In New Recruitments
- Lumia Update Will Come Soon Confirms Microsoft