Many Pacquiao News: Floyd Mayweather 'Ducked' Fight With Pac-Man, According To 50 Cent
March 1, 2013 9:09 AM EST
The boxing world has been clamoring to see Manny Pacquiao and Floyd Mayweather fight each other for years, but at this point, the bout may never happen.
Rapper and now boxing promoter 50 Cent has been close friends with Mayweather for a long time, and he went on ESPN’s “First Take” to discuss his involvement in the sport. During the show, Skip Bayless asked 50 Cent if Mayweather had been “ducking” a matchup with Pacquiao.
“Yes. He did duck the fight. That’s $100 million and he just left it,” responded 50 Cent.
The rapper said Mayweather wasn’t afraid to lose to Pacquiao. He was more concerned about how much his opponent would be getting paid.
“I think he concentrates on how much someone else is getting paid as opposed to how much he’s getting paid and then I think he kind of sees himself in a space that no one else sees himself in, like he’s so high on top of it that he shouldn’t give some of other great fighters a chance to be in that position at this point.”
During negations between both camps, there had been disputes about how much revenue each boxer would recoup from the fight. According to Pacquiao, Mayweather didn’t want his opponent to get any of the money generated from the fight.
“He offered me $40 million, and no pay-per-view [money],” Pacquiao said told Yahoo Sports in 2012. “No pay-per-view. Can you believe that? Would you do that? Come on. What would he say if I offered him $50 million – not $40 million, $50 million – and said ‘No pay-per-view. Take this money and be happy, but no pay-per-view.’ He wouldn’t do it, either.”
Mayweather is scheduled to fight Robert Guerrero in May 4. Pacauio’s next bout isn’t scheduled, but he may have another rematch with Juan Manuel Marquez.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Mayweather vs. Pacquiao Purse Split: $100M For American, $60M For Filipino— Report
- Boxing Analyst John Scully Says Floyd Mayweather Is Slipping But Manny Pacquiao Won’t Win In Super Fight In 2015
- Freddie Roach Provoking ‘Washed-Up’ Floyd Mayweather Jr., Says Manny Pacquiao Will KO Undefeated American
- Sharapova, Halep, Ivanovic, Wozniacki, Kvitova, Radwanska, Kerber Make Early Commitment To Stuttgart Open
- 2014 Dancing With The Stars Australia: Former AFL Star David Rodan Declared Winner
- Black Friday And Cyber Monday Sale 2014: AT&T's Cricket Wireless Offers Discounts On Lumia 1320, Galaxy S5, S4 And HTC Desire 510
- ISIS Kidnaps Iraqi Defence Minister’s Family, Executes Female Parliament Candidates
- '$2,000 For Sex'—Pleads Unlucky-in-Love Guy On OKCupid
- Google Joins Forces with GoPro Inc with New Google Maps Focusing on Destination
- Target Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Ad Released For Nov. 26, 2014 Includes Deals On Toys, HDTVs And Video Games Such As ‘FIFA 15’ And ‘NHL 15’ For Xbox 360 [WATCH VIDEO]
- Target’s ‘Surprise Doorbusters’ Black Friday 2014 Deals On TV Sets, Entertainment Centres, DVD Players And More
- Lumia Update Will Come Soon Confirms Microsoft