Many Pacquiao News: Floyd Mayweather 'Ducked' Fight With Pac-Man, According To 50 Cent
March 1, 2013 9:09 AM EST
The boxing world has been clamoring to see Manny Pacquiao and Floyd Mayweather fight each other for years, but at this point, the bout may never happen.
Rapper and now boxing promoter 50 Cent has been close friends with Mayweather for a long time, and he went on ESPN’s “First Take” to discuss his involvement in the sport. During the show, Skip Bayless asked 50 Cent if Mayweather had been “ducking” a matchup with Pacquiao.
“Yes. He did duck the fight. That’s $100 million and he just left it,” responded 50 Cent.
The rapper said Mayweather wasn’t afraid to lose to Pacquiao. He was more concerned about how much his opponent would be getting paid.
“I think he concentrates on how much someone else is getting paid as opposed to how much he’s getting paid and then I think he kind of sees himself in a space that no one else sees himself in, like he’s so high on top of it that he shouldn’t give some of other great fighters a chance to be in that position at this point.”
During negations between both camps, there had been disputes about how much revenue each boxer would recoup from the fight. According to Pacquiao, Mayweather didn’t want his opponent to get any of the money generated from the fight.
“He offered me $40 million, and no pay-per-view [money],” Pacquiao said told Yahoo Sports in 2012. “No pay-per-view. Can you believe that? Would you do that? Come on. What would he say if I offered him $50 million – not $40 million, $50 million – and said ‘No pay-per-view. Take this money and be happy, but no pay-per-view.’ He wouldn’t do it, either.”
Mayweather is scheduled to fight Robert Guerrero in May 4. Pacauio’s next bout isn’t scheduled, but he may have another rematch with Juan Manuel Marquez.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Gennady Golovkin Next Fight Options: Canelo Alvarez, Miguel Cotto Or Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao Blasted For Arrogance, Playing Basketball Month Before Fight Against Chris Algieri
- Croatian Boxer Banned For Life From Sport After Vicious Attack On Polish Referee [VIDEO]
- Ronda Rousey Rejects Idea of Fight Between A Man And A Woman In The UFC
- Chelsea FC: No 'Crying' For The Blues Amid Injury Woes Ahead Of Man Utd Clash, Says Mourinho
- Lamar Odom’s Hope Of Reuniting With Khloe Kardashian Crushed, ‘KUWTK’ Star Reportedly Dating Wiz Khalifa
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date is Doomed as Team Evad3rs Opts Out, Pangu Hits Snag – Report
- Google Nexus 6 vs. iPhone 5S: 4 Important Things to Consider Before Switching to Android Lollipop
- Swedish Military Spots ‘Russian Submarine’ Off Stockholm Coast, An Alarming ‘Security Game Changer’
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- Canada Raises National Terror Alert Level after Suspected Jihadist Runs Over Soldier