Many Pacquiao News: Floyd Mayweather 'Ducked' Fight With Pac-Man, According To 50 Cent
March 1, 2013 9:09 AM EST
The boxing world has been clamoring to see Manny Pacquiao and Floyd Mayweather fight each other for years, but at this point, the bout may never happen.
Rapper and now boxing promoter 50 Cent has been close friends with Mayweather for a long time, and he went on ESPN’s “First Take” to discuss his involvement in the sport. During the show, Skip Bayless asked 50 Cent if Mayweather had been “ducking” a matchup with Pacquiao.
“Yes. He did duck the fight. That’s $100 million and he just left it,” responded 50 Cent.
The rapper said Mayweather wasn’t afraid to lose to Pacquiao. He was more concerned about how much his opponent would be getting paid.
“I think he concentrates on how much someone else is getting paid as opposed to how much he’s getting paid and then I think he kind of sees himself in a space that no one else sees himself in, like he’s so high on top of it that he shouldn’t give some of other great fighters a chance to be in that position at this point.”
During negations between both camps, there had been disputes about how much revenue each boxer would recoup from the fight. According to Pacquiao, Mayweather didn’t want his opponent to get any of the money generated from the fight.
“He offered me $40 million, and no pay-per-view [money],” Pacquiao said told Yahoo Sports in 2012. “No pay-per-view. Can you believe that? Would you do that? Come on. What would he say if I offered him $50 million – not $40 million, $50 million – and said ‘No pay-per-view. Take this money and be happy, but no pay-per-view.’ He wouldn’t do it, either.”
Mayweather is scheduled to fight Robert Guerrero in May 4. Pacauio’s next bout isn’t scheduled, but he may have another rematch with Juan Manuel Marquez.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- Roger Federer Tops Forbes’ List of Most Financially Valuable Athlete; Maria Sharapova and Li Na Also Make the Cut
- Eugenie Bouchard Fires Warning To Serena Williams; She Wants No.1 Ranking
- Transfer News: Real Madrid Unveil Galactico James Rodriguez [PHOTOS]
- Roger Federer Regains Deadly Service Game - Andy Roddick
- Arsenal FC Transfer News: Lionel Messi's Gunners Link a Ploy to Receive Improved Deal
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales
- Sony Xperia M2 vs. Moto G – Specifications, Features and Price Showdown