NFL Trade Rumors: Nick Foles, Ryan Mallett, Percy Harvin On The Block? Jacksonville Jaguars, New York Jets Possible Destinations?
March 1, 2013 8:31 AM EST
The reported trade of quarterback Alex Smith to the Kansas City Chiefs on Wednesday may have set the market for two young back-ups, and a venerable wide receiver.
With Tom Brady and the New England Patriots agreeing to a contract extension, the future of Ryan Mallet as a starter looks bleak.
The San Francisco 49ers will receive a second round draft pick and a conditional pick from the Chiefs, and according to the Boston Herald, that might be the floor for New England’s asking price for Mallett even though he has four career pass attempts in two seasons.
The Herald did point out that since Mallett will be a free agent in 2014, teams may hesitate to hand over something as valuable as a draft pick for a still unproven talent that could bolt after one solid season.
Another young back-up that was recently tied to trades was Philadelphia’s Nick Foles. NFL.com reported last week that the Eagles were not interested in moving Foles, as new head coach Chip Kelly wants to work with him. Kansas City head coach Andy Reid, formerly at the helm of Philadelphia for 14 seasons, drafted the promising Foles, and the Chiefs were seen as an obvious trade partner.
The Eagles may think twice, considering the haul San Francisco brought in for Smith. Foles has had more of a chance to show what he can do as a starter than Mallett. As Michael Vick's replacement in 2012, the 24-year-old completed 161-of-265 pass attempts for 1,699, six touchdowns and five interceptions.
Mallet's value can be calculated by transference. Two years working behind Brady and famed head coach Bill Belichick gives him a leg up most NFL players have never had.
Both Mallett and Foles could help underperforming pass offenses like the Jacksonville Jaguars and New York Jets. Blaine Gabbert has been called a bust by many, and with no college quarterback prospects wowing scouts in the upcoming draft, Jacksonville could be a team seeking a new passer via trade. The Jaguars currenly hold the No. 2 overall pick in the draft.
The Jets have Mark Sanchez, who showed immense poise when he first entered the league. However, Sanchez tossed 18 interceptions compared to 12 touchdowns in 2012, and the Jets were 30th in passing yards per game.
Both the Jaguars and Jets are expected to be on the search for a new starting quarterback, and could consider Mallett and Foles should the right deal work.
Then there’s Minnesota Viking wide receiver Percy Harvin, who is scheduled to be a free agent after next season. Rather than pay the club's leading receiver over the last three seasons, it has been speculated that Minnesota would deal Harvin now to avoid contract negotiations.
Though Vikings general manager Rick Spielman reiterated previous statements at the NFL Combine that Minnesota has no intention of moving Harvin.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- 2014 Davis Cup Final: Switzerland Vs. France - Roger Federer Vs. Gael Monfils Live Streaming Info and Preview
- Michael Schumacher Update: Rep Responds To Streiff’s Comments—‘He’s Neither A Friend Nor Has He Ever Visited Him’
- LA Lakers: Kobe Bryant Attributes Past Outburst Against Dwight Howard To 'Heat Of The Moment,' Doesn't Feel The Same Way As Durant Does
- Manny Pacquiao vs. Chris Algieri Betting Odds: American Knockout Of Filipino Pays $10,000 From A $100 Bet
- Boxing News: Freddie Roach Not Buying Into Arum's Claim Of Pacquiao v Mayweather In 2015, Claims 'Money' Will Say 'No' After Algieri Fight
- Black Friday 2014 Sale: Top Deals On Game Consoles Xbox One, PS4, Nintendo Wii U And More
- Walmart Pre-Black Friday 2014 Sale On Nov. 21, 2014 Includes Discounts On The 'NBA 2K15' For PS4 And The 'Skylanders Trap Team’ Starter Kit [WATCH VIDEO]
- Alleged 'Microsoft Lumia 1030' Front Panel Leaked With Capacitive Buttons; 'Xbox One' Owners To Get Free Goodies On Anniversary
- More Bad News for Android 5.0 Lollipop As Problems Come In for Nexus and Other Devices
- Black Friday 2014 Sale: Top 9 TV Deals Starting From $99 To $899
- BlackBerry Classic (aka Q20) Keyboard Shortcuts Explained In A Quick Video
- Julie Bishop Condemns Barack Obama For Overlooking Australia’s Commitment in Protecting Great Barrier Reef