NFL Trade Rumors: Nick Foles, Ryan Mallett, Percy Harvin On The Block? Jacksonville Jaguars, New York Jets Possible Destinations?
March 1, 2013 8:31 AM EST
The reported trade of quarterback Alex Smith to the Kansas City Chiefs on Wednesday may have set the market for two young back-ups, and a venerable wide receiver.
With Tom Brady and the New England Patriots agreeing to a contract extension, the future of Ryan Mallet as a starter looks bleak.
The San Francisco 49ers will receive a second round draft pick and a conditional pick from the Chiefs, and according to the Boston Herald, that might be the floor for New England’s asking price for Mallett even though he has four career pass attempts in two seasons.
The Herald did point out that since Mallett will be a free agent in 2014, teams may hesitate to hand over something as valuable as a draft pick for a still unproven talent that could bolt after one solid season.
Another young back-up that was recently tied to trades was Philadelphia’s Nick Foles. NFL.com reported last week that the Eagles were not interested in moving Foles, as new head coach Chip Kelly wants to work with him. Kansas City head coach Andy Reid, formerly at the helm of Philadelphia for 14 seasons, drafted the promising Foles, and the Chiefs were seen as an obvious trade partner.
The Eagles may think twice, considering the haul San Francisco brought in for Smith. Foles has had more of a chance to show what he can do as a starter than Mallett. As Michael Vick's replacement in 2012, the 24-year-old completed 161-of-265 pass attempts for 1,699, six touchdowns and five interceptions.
Mallet's value can be calculated by transference. Two years working behind Brady and famed head coach Bill Belichick gives him a leg up most NFL players have never had.
Both Mallett and Foles could help underperforming pass offenses like the Jacksonville Jaguars and New York Jets. Blaine Gabbert has been called a bust by many, and with no college quarterback prospects wowing scouts in the upcoming draft, Jacksonville could be a team seeking a new passer via trade. The Jaguars currenly hold the No. 2 overall pick in the draft.
The Jets have Mark Sanchez, who showed immense poise when he first entered the league. However, Sanchez tossed 18 interceptions compared to 12 touchdowns in 2012, and the Jets were 30th in passing yards per game.
Both the Jaguars and Jets are expected to be on the search for a new starting quarterback, and could consider Mallett and Foles should the right deal work.
Then there’s Minnesota Viking wide receiver Percy Harvin, who is scheduled to be a free agent after next season. Rather than pay the club's leading receiver over the last three seasons, it has been speculated that Minnesota would deal Harvin now to avoid contract negotiations.
Though Vikings general manager Rick Spielman reiterated previous statements at the NFL Combine that Minnesota has no intention of moving Harvin.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Washington Redskins 20, Dallas Cowboys 17 (OT) [PHOTOS]
- Emma Watson Gets 'Squished' In 'Colonia Dignidad' [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 6: Kansas City Royals 10, San Francisco Giants 0 [PHOTOS]
- San Francisco Giants Beat Kansas City Royals, 3-2 In Game 7, Wins 2014 MLB World Series [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Fernando Alonso Leaves Ferrari 'For Two Reasons'
- Roger Federer Says He Has Never Seen Rafael Nadal Play So Bad, Wishes That The Spaniard Recuperate Well From Appendicitis
- Manny Pacquiao Has Got Chris Algieri Fight All Figured Out
- Los Angeles Lakers Suffer Second Straight Loss, Phoenix Suns Deal Kobe Bryant Another Blowout Defeat, 119-99
- Female Boxer Dies In South Africa Following Knockout Blow
- Marvel Announces Release Dates Of 11 Upcoming Movies From 2015 To 2019
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Xiaomi Becomes World’s Third Largest Smartphone Manufacturer By Dethroning Huawei
- Entry Of Peshmerga Fighters From Iraq Boosts The Kobani Battle Against ISIS: Turkey Provides Transit
- Nexus 6, 9 Buyers on November Release Will Enjoy These 3 Killer Lollipop 5.0 Features First
- Apple iPhone 6 Plus vs Motorola Droid Turbo: Comparsion On Processor, Software And Battery
- Australia Special Forces Await 'Delayed' Iraqi Visas Before Joining ISIS Fight