NFL Trade Rumors: Nick Foles, Ryan Mallett, Percy Harvin On The Block? Jacksonville Jaguars, New York Jets Possible Destinations?
March 1, 2013 8:31 AM EST
The reported trade of quarterback Alex Smith to the Kansas City Chiefs on Wednesday may have set the market for two young back-ups, and a venerable wide receiver.
With Tom Brady and the New England Patriots agreeing to a contract extension, the future of Ryan Mallet as a starter looks bleak.
The San Francisco 49ers will receive a second round draft pick and a conditional pick from the Chiefs, and according to the Boston Herald, that might be the floor for New England’s asking price for Mallett even though he has four career pass attempts in two seasons.
The Herald did point out that since Mallett will be a free agent in 2014, teams may hesitate to hand over something as valuable as a draft pick for a still unproven talent that could bolt after one solid season.
Another young back-up that was recently tied to trades was Philadelphia’s Nick Foles. NFL.com reported last week that the Eagles were not interested in moving Foles, as new head coach Chip Kelly wants to work with him. Kansas City head coach Andy Reid, formerly at the helm of Philadelphia for 14 seasons, drafted the promising Foles, and the Chiefs were seen as an obvious trade partner.
The Eagles may think twice, considering the haul San Francisco brought in for Smith. Foles has had more of a chance to show what he can do as a starter than Mallett. As Michael Vick's replacement in 2012, the 24-year-old completed 161-of-265 pass attempts for 1,699, six touchdowns and five interceptions.
Mallet's value can be calculated by transference. Two years working behind Brady and famed head coach Bill Belichick gives him a leg up most NFL players have never had.
Both Mallett and Foles could help underperforming pass offenses like the Jacksonville Jaguars and New York Jets. Blaine Gabbert has been called a bust by many, and with no college quarterback prospects wowing scouts in the upcoming draft, Jacksonville could be a team seeking a new passer via trade. The Jaguars currenly hold the No. 2 overall pick in the draft.
The Jets have Mark Sanchez, who showed immense poise when he first entered the league. However, Sanchez tossed 18 interceptions compared to 12 touchdowns in 2012, and the Jets were 30th in passing yards per game.
Both the Jaguars and Jets are expected to be on the search for a new starting quarterback, and could consider Mallett and Foles should the right deal work.
Then there’s Minnesota Viking wide receiver Percy Harvin, who is scheduled to be a free agent after next season. Rather than pay the club's leading receiver over the last three seasons, it has been speculated that Minnesota would deal Harvin now to avoid contract negotiations.
Though Vikings general manager Rick Spielman reiterated previous statements at the NFL Combine that Minnesota has no intention of moving Harvin.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- The Pirate Bay Founder Gottfrid Svartholm Clears That Fredrik Neij And Peter Sunde Are Not TPB Founders
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5 Spoilers: Daryl Dixon Out There To Save His Two Favourite Ladies In Mid-season Finale
- [In Pictures] Police Fire As Protest Turns Into ‘Riot’ After Grand Jury Decision on Ferguson Shooting
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 8 Spoilers: Daryl Dixon Is Set To Burn The Place Down in ‘Coda’
Join the Conversation
- Mayweather vs. Pacquiao Purse Split: $100M For American, $60M For Filipino— Report
- ESPN Anchor Skip Bayless Says Floyd Mayweather Jr Will Not Fight Manny Pacquiao Because Undefeated Fighter Is ‘Afraid To Lose’
- Amir Khan Addresses Roach’s Comments That Pacquiao Used To Knock Out The Bolton-Born Boxer During Sparring Sessions
- Chelsea FC: Jose Mourinho Hits Back At Sergio Ramos For Questioning Costa And Fabregas Absence From NT, Says 'He is Not A Doctor'
- Meet Paige VanZant, The Next UFC Sensation In The Women's Division
- Russia Is Ready for Shooting War, Will Likely Win Looming Nuclear Showdown with U.S. – Report
- Kobani ISIS Fighter Sends Out Desperate Message For Prayers And Support: Euphoria Turns Into Desperation As Kurds Advance
- Chris Algieri’s Battered Face Trends On Social Media
- Home Depot Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Up To Nov. 29, 2014 Includes Special Buys On Appliances Such As Samsung Refrigerators, Whirlpool Electric Ranges And Hoover Vacuum Cleaners
- Microsoft Band Runs Out Of Stock, But Offers $10 Gift Voucher To Wait-Listed Customers
- Black Friday Sale 2014 Deals From Amazon On Smartphones, TVs, Headsets And More
- Andrew Robb Asks Obama Not to ‘Lecture’ Australia on Climate Change