NFL Trade Rumors: Nick Foles, Ryan Mallett, Percy Harvin On The Block? Jacksonville Jaguars, New York Jets Possible Destinations?
March 1, 2013 8:31 AM EST
The reported trade of quarterback Alex Smith to the Kansas City Chiefs on Wednesday may have set the market for two young back-ups, and a venerable wide receiver.
With Tom Brady and the New England Patriots agreeing to a contract extension, the future of Ryan Mallet as a starter looks bleak.
The San Francisco 49ers will receive a second round draft pick and a conditional pick from the Chiefs, and according to the Boston Herald, that might be the floor for New England’s asking price for Mallett even though he has four career pass attempts in two seasons.
The Herald did point out that since Mallett will be a free agent in 2014, teams may hesitate to hand over something as valuable as a draft pick for a still unproven talent that could bolt after one solid season.
Another young back-up that was recently tied to trades was Philadelphia’s Nick Foles. NFL.com reported last week that the Eagles were not interested in moving Foles, as new head coach Chip Kelly wants to work with him. Kansas City head coach Andy Reid, formerly at the helm of Philadelphia for 14 seasons, drafted the promising Foles, and the Chiefs were seen as an obvious trade partner.
The Eagles may think twice, considering the haul San Francisco brought in for Smith. Foles has had more of a chance to show what he can do as a starter than Mallett. As Michael Vick's replacement in 2012, the 24-year-old completed 161-of-265 pass attempts for 1,699, six touchdowns and five interceptions.
Mallet's value can be calculated by transference. Two years working behind Brady and famed head coach Bill Belichick gives him a leg up most NFL players have never had.
Both Mallett and Foles could help underperforming pass offenses like the Jacksonville Jaguars and New York Jets. Blaine Gabbert has been called a bust by many, and with no college quarterback prospects wowing scouts in the upcoming draft, Jacksonville could be a team seeking a new passer via trade. The Jaguars currenly hold the No. 2 overall pick in the draft.
The Jets have Mark Sanchez, who showed immense poise when he first entered the league. However, Sanchez tossed 18 interceptions compared to 12 touchdowns in 2012, and the Jets were 30th in passing yards per game.
Both the Jaguars and Jets are expected to be on the search for a new starting quarterback, and could consider Mallett and Foles should the right deal work.
Then there’s Minnesota Viking wide receiver Percy Harvin, who is scheduled to be a free agent after next season. Rather than pay the club's leading receiver over the last three seasons, it has been speculated that Minnesota would deal Harvin now to avoid contract negotiations.
Though Vikings general manager Rick Spielman reiterated previous statements at the NFL Combine that Minnesota has no intention of moving Harvin.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Jeremy Lin, Kobe Bryant Among The Top 5 Overpaid Players In The NBA (Part 1 - Western Conference)
- Reasons Why Michael Jordan Is Better Than LeBron James [PHOTOS And VIDEO]
- Dwyane Wade, Joe Johnson, Amare Stoudemire Among Worst Contracts In The NBA (Part 2 - Eastern Conference)
- Brawl-Marred Game in NFL Week 3: Philadelphia Eagles 37, Washington Redskins 34 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Amir Khan Says Algieri Doesn’t Have What It Takes To Beat Pacquiao; Khan Reportedly A Top Contender For Mayweather Jr.’s Next Fight Says Mayweather Sr
- MMA News: Transgender Fighter Fallon Fox Challenges Ronda Rousey, Fires Back on ‘Ignorant’ Comments
- WWE Night of Champions Live Streaming Info, Preview and Predictions
- Floyd Mayweather Admits Marcos Maidana’s Power Shot Hurt Him [VIDEO]
- Boxing News 2014: Nevada Commission Summons Mayweather Over Reports Of Marijuana Use In Mansion & No Rest Breaks In Gym
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Date is Halloween 2014 as Android L Intro Set for October 16
- New Samsung Galaxy Note 4 and Galaxy S5 Android 5.0 L Killer Features, Encryption and More
- Moto G 2014 v Asus Zenfone 5 – Specification Comparison Shows Zenfone 5 Is A Good Alternative for Moto G
- Android 5.0 L Nexus 4, Nexus 5, Nexus 7 Release in October, Google Employees Offer Hint
- Microsoft Doubles OneDrive Space To 30GB Due To iOS 8 Update Issues
- Nexus 8, Nexus 9 Release Date, Device Name And Price Conundrum: What To Expect?
- U.S and Canada Fighter Jets Chase Out Russian Jets Near Alaska: Air Space Violation Not Confirmed