49ers Draft News: What Will San Francisco Do With 15 Picks After The Alex Smith Trade?
March 1, 2013 7:32 AM EST
Nobody has more decisions to make in the 2013 NFL Draft than the San Francisco 49ers.
The defending Super Bowl runner-ups will reportedly have 15 picks between April 25 and April 27. The club added the most recent one when they acquired a second-round pick from the Kansas City Chiefs for Alex Smith, according to multiple reports.
After winning the NFC West and falling just short of winning a championship, the 49ers may not have many holes to fill. However, a few of their deficiencies were exposed in their loss to the Baltimore Ravens.
Most of San Francisco’s picks will be in the later rounds, so they may not find a superstar. Still, they should be able to leave the draft with several players who will be able to contribute on the field for 2013 and beyond.
Having 15 picks leaves the 49ers with numerous options on draft day. It allows the team to take certain chances that they couldn’t take in a normal year.
More than ever, San Francisco is capable of making a big trade. The club can afford to deal multiple selections, and still have a chance to leave the draft with multiple players that will impact next season.
Drafting at 31st overall, the 49ers likely won’t end up with one of the best prospects in this year’s class. If San Francisco is very high on a player that will go in the top 5 or top 10, they have the ability to move up in the first round. A team that isn’t convinced any of the top selections will be stars might accept a package of the 31st overall selection, as well as a few picks later on in the draft.
After giving up 89 total points in three playoff games, the organization will look to upgrade the defense. The 49ers defensive line could use some new blood, and the team could do so by taking someone like Jesse Williams from Alabama or Purdue’s Kawann Short. However, if the club trades up on Day 1, they might be able to get a player like Florida’s Sharrif Floyd, who is regarded by many as the best defensive tackle in the class.
San Francisco also needs to improve their secondary, having allowed big performances to Joe Flacco and Matt Ryan in the postseason. Chris Culliver was repeatedly burned in the Super Bowl, revealing one of the team’s biggest weaknesses.
Late in the first round, Mississippi State’s Johnathan Banks and Desmond Trufant from Washington could be available. If the 49ers are willing to trade up, a player like Alabama’s Dee Milliner could be on their radar.
The 49ers abundance of picks, though, could allow them to trade for a star cornerback that has already had success in the NFL. Yahoo Sports has reported that San Francisco would deal multiple picks to the New York Jets for Darrelle Revis. Revis will be a free agent at the end of the 2013 season, and there are rumors that the club will trade him, since they are unwilling to meet his contract demands.
San Francisco could also use one of their 15 picks to replace Smith. With Colin Kaepernick solidified as the team’s starting signal caller, there isn’t much of a need for the 49ers to use a selection on a quarterback. However, with so many picks, San Francisco can afford to use one of their picks on a backup quarterback. Arizona’s Matt Scott or Zac Dysert of Miami of Ohio could end up with the 49ers.
Out of the 49ers 15 picks, eight are in the fifth round or later.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- ‘Floyd Rhymes With Avoid,’ Says Manny Pacquiao
- Freddie Roach Provoking ‘Washed-Up’ Floyd Mayweather Jr., Says Manny Pacquiao Will KO Undefeated American
- NFL Thanksgiving Games: Chicago Vs. Detroit, Philadelphia Vs. Dallas, And Seattle Vs. San Francisco Live Streaming Info and Preview
- Mayweather Jr. Responds To 2015 Super Fight Talks; American Bashes Pacquiao With Social Media Video Post of Marquez's KO
- Jules Bianchi Latest Update: Marussia Formula One Team Keeps Its Promise To Injured Driver
- 5 Proofs Russia is Geared-Up for Shooting War with U.S. and Can Win Future Nuclear Showdown
- Target’s ‘Surprise Doorbusters’ Black Friday 2014 Deals On TV Sets, Entertainment Centres, DVD Players And More
- IKEA Black Friday 2014 Ad Includes Discounts On Home Furnishings, Appliances, Kitchen Designs, Beds, Sofas, Mattresses And Toys
- T-Mobile’s Black Friday 2014 Deals On Apple iPhone 6, Samsung Galaxy Note 4/Edge, Nexus 6, HTC One M8, LG G3, iPad Air 2 And Mini 3
- ISIS Drug Transit From Afghanistan To Europe Confirmed By Russia: Money Goes Into Terror Funding And In New Recruitments
- ISIS Kidnaps Iraqi Defence Minister’s Family, Executes Female Parliament Candidates
- Bill Clinton At It Again, Caught By Camera In Jerusalem Peeking At Woman’s Breast