Switzerland Kronospan Factory Shooting Gunman Named as Victor Berisha
By Hannah Osborne | March 1, 2013 6:06 AM EST
A fourth person has died after a shooting in the Kronospan factory in Menznau, Switzerland.
The unnamed victim succumbed to their injuries a day after the 42-year-old gunman attacked factory workers in the plant canteen and on the shop floor.
Victor Berisha, from Kosovo, was identified as the shooter at the wood processing factory. Three people, including Berisha, died at the scene. Seven more were injured, six seriously.
Among the victims was Benno Studer, 26, a Swiss athlete. Lucerne police spokesman Urs Wigger said Studer was a successful wrestler in the traditional sport of Schwingen.
On his profile on schwingenonline.ch, Studer described himself as "cheerful, positive, prepared". He said he always makes the best of life.
After his death was announced, friends and wellwishers left messages of condolences for his family on his Facebook page.
A Kosovo government official identified the shooter as Berisha, an ethnic Albanian. As a Swiss citizen, he had still to be identified by Swiss authorities.
Swiss news website Blick referred to him as 'Victor B', saying he was a machine operator and a father.
Wigger could not confirm if Berisha turned the weapon on himself.
Kronospan chief executive Mauro Capozzo said Berisha had been with the company for more than 10 years and described him as a "quiet man".
Another employee told Swiss news website Luzerner Zeitung that Berisha had been experiencing psychological problems for the last 12 months, saying he talked to himself and people who were not there.
The weapon used in the attack has been identified as a Sphinx AT 380 handgun, a compact pistol produced by a Swiss company.
Capozzo said he could not understand what had happened and offered his condolences to friends and family of those killed.
He denied claims on Blick tyhat said the firm planned production cuts that would threaten jobs.
Switzerland has one of the highest rates of gun ownership in the world. About one in four people own a gun.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Pope Francis Meets Sudanese Woman Who Was Spared Death for Apostasy (PHOTOS)
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MH17: King Williem-Alexander, Queen Maxima Hold Solemn Reception Ceremony for Victims
- Jennifer Lawrence & Nicholas Hoult Allegedly Split: Mad Max Actor Cheats with Kristen Stewart & Riley Keough - Reports
- Transfer News: FC Barcelona Shockingly Sign Valencia Defender [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- 2014 Meteor Shower: Where to Watch Delta Aquarids July 28-29 Peak Online, NASA Cameras Spotted Start of Perseid Meteor Shower
- Volunteer Teen Rapes Orphans during Mission Trip
- Viral Wedding Photo: Amy Hicks Reveals True Story behind Viral Photo that Created Trending Hashtag on Twitter #westillcoming
- New Zealand-Born IDF Soldier Killed in Gaza Attack Amid Ceasefire Promises
- Six-Year-Old Canada girl Dies after Hit by Sedan in Crowded Store
- Apple iPhone 6 on Two Confirmed Release Dates, New Parts Leaked Suggesting Bigger iPhone to Come
- Xiaomi Mi4 vs OnePlusOne vs Nexus 5: Mi4 is the ‘Perfect’ Phone
- Israeli Women Stripping Naked for IDF Soldiers
- Google Nexus 6, 8 with Android L on Release Date Promises Killer Mobile Device Experience
- HTC One M8 Android 4.4.3 KitKat Update Roll Out, Introducing the HTC One Remix
- Shocking Video of Pedigree Dog Culling in Bali Emerges [Video]
- Sony Xperia Z3 Specs Leaked with More Killer Features Ahead of Samsung Galaxy Note 4, iPhone 6