Switzerland Kronospan Factory Shooting Gunman Named as Victor Berisha
By Hannah Osborne | March 1, 2013 6:06 AM EST
A fourth person has died after a shooting in the Kronospan factory in Menznau, Switzerland.
The unnamed victim succumbed to their injuries a day after the 42-year-old gunman attacked factory workers in the plant canteen and on the shop floor.
Victor Berisha, from Kosovo, was identified as the shooter at the wood processing factory. Three people, including Berisha, died at the scene. Seven more were injured, six seriously.
Among the victims was Benno Studer, 26, a Swiss athlete. Lucerne police spokesman Urs Wigger said Studer was a successful wrestler in the traditional sport of Schwingen.
On his profile on schwingenonline.ch, Studer described himself as "cheerful, positive, prepared". He said he always makes the best of life.
After his death was announced, friends and wellwishers left messages of condolences for his family on his Facebook page.
A Kosovo government official identified the shooter as Berisha, an ethnic Albanian. As a Swiss citizen, he had still to be identified by Swiss authorities.
Swiss news website Blick referred to him as 'Victor B', saying he was a machine operator and a father.
Wigger could not confirm if Berisha turned the weapon on himself.
Kronospan chief executive Mauro Capozzo said Berisha had been with the company for more than 10 years and described him as a "quiet man".
Another employee told Swiss news website Luzerner Zeitung that Berisha had been experiencing psychological problems for the last 12 months, saying he talked to himself and people who were not there.
The weapon used in the attack has been identified as a Sphinx AT 380 handgun, a compact pistol produced by a Swiss company.
Capozzo said he could not understand what had happened and offered his condolences to friends and family of those killed.
He denied claims on Blick tyhat said the firm planned production cuts that would threaten jobs.
Switzerland has one of the highest rates of gun ownership in the world. About one in four people own a gun.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt’s Top Secret Wedding Tramps Jennifer Aniston’s ‘Friends’ Reunion & Pregnancy Talks [PHOTOS]
- 2014 US Open: Hottest Male Tennis Players To Watch [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- MH370 Update: Australians Unveil New Map To Find The Missing Plane
- Court Grants Indian Man Divorce Over Wife’s Insatiable Sex Demands
- Ebola Virus 'Rapidly Mutating' as Research Finds Almost 400 Mutations; International Aid Moves at a Snail's Pace
- ISIS Threat: Australia Terror Alert Level at 'Medium' as Saudi King Warns of Attacks in Europe in a Month
- Jennifer Lawrence Nude Photos Leak Raises Doubts on Apple's iCloud; How to Secure Apple ID
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports
- 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 is iPhone Air on Sept 19 Release Date: 5 Things to Consider Before Buying
- Google Nexus 8 Confirmed as HTC T1 aka Volantis/Flounder with Freshly-Leaked Specs & Features – Reports
- PlayStation 4 Killing Xbox One Costing Microsoft Millions But It's Fine
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans
- iPhone 6 On Release Date To Feature Qualcomm MDM9625M LTE, 1GB RAM, Mobile Payment Deal With AMEX, 1334x750 Display
- Nexus 6 Release Date Update: Moto X+1 Look Leaked, Nexus X or Shamu Moved to Demo Phase