Switzerland Kronospan Factory Shooting Gunman Named as Victor Berisha
By Hannah Osborne | March 1, 2013 6:06 AM EST
A fourth person has died after a shooting in the Kronospan factory in Menznau, Switzerland.
The unnamed victim succumbed to their injuries a day after the 42-year-old gunman attacked factory workers in the plant canteen and on the shop floor.
Victor Berisha, from Kosovo, was identified as the shooter at the wood processing factory. Three people, including Berisha, died at the scene. Seven more were injured, six seriously.
Among the victims was Benno Studer, 26, a Swiss athlete. Lucerne police spokesman Urs Wigger said Studer was a successful wrestler in the traditional sport of Schwingen.
On his profile on schwingenonline.ch, Studer described himself as "cheerful, positive, prepared". He said he always makes the best of life.
After his death was announced, friends and wellwishers left messages of condolences for his family on his Facebook page.
A Kosovo government official identified the shooter as Berisha, an ethnic Albanian. As a Swiss citizen, he had still to be identified by Swiss authorities.
Swiss news website Blick referred to him as 'Victor B', saying he was a machine operator and a father.
Wigger could not confirm if Berisha turned the weapon on himself.
Kronospan chief executive Mauro Capozzo said Berisha had been with the company for more than 10 years and described him as a "quiet man".
Another employee told Swiss news website Luzerner Zeitung that Berisha had been experiencing psychological problems for the last 12 months, saying he talked to himself and people who were not there.
The weapon used in the attack has been identified as a Sphinx AT 380 handgun, a compact pistol produced by a Swiss company.
Capozzo said he could not understand what had happened and offered his condolences to friends and family of those killed.
He denied claims on Blick tyhat said the firm planned production cuts that would threaten jobs.
Switzerland has one of the highest rates of gun ownership in the world. About one in four people own a gun.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- 2014 Meteor Shower: Slooh To Have Live Broadcast Of Orionids Meteor Shower October 21 Peak, NASA Assures Ideal Observing Conditions
- Kate Middleton Makes First Public Appearance, Sickness Seems Over
- Kate Middleton To Give Birth To A 'Cheerful' Baby, Duchess Not Carrying Twins---Report
- Woman Stuck In Chimney: Genoveva Nunez-Figueroa Arrested For Attempted Break-In After Rescue Team Pulls Stuck Woman Out Of Chimney
- Naked Russian Artist Strikes Anew, Cuts Off Earlobes To Protest Return Of Soviet-Era Policies
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- The Pirate Bay Blockade: Cost Of Blocking Websites Like TPB Is Ridiculously High
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu
- Virginia Woman Who Posted Naked Image Of Ex-BF’s New Partner 1st Person Charged Under Revenge Porn Law
- Australia's 'No Way' Anti-Asylum Seeker Poster Sparks Outrage
- Meizu MX4 Pro To Arrive In November In Black And White Colours, Features Higher Than QHD Display, Exynos 5430 SoC And 3 GB RAM
- Israel Loses A Friend in UN Security Council As New Zealand Replaces Australia