Delhi Gang-Rape Case: Minor Accused Charged with Rape, Murder
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | February 28, 2013 10:57 PM EST
The Juvenile Justice Board has indicted the gang-rape and murder charges against the youngest accused in the Delhi gang-rape case.
Considering the prima facie evidence against the minor, who was believed to have inflicted maximum cruelty on the Delhi gangarape victim, Principal Magistrate Geetanjali Goel has given the order to frame various charges on the juvenile which includes gang-rape, murder, kidnapping, unnatural offences, attempt to murder, dacoity, destruction of evidence and conspiracy, reported The Indian Express.
The Delhi-based physiotherapy student was gang-raped in a moving bus on 16 December when she along with a male friend were returning home after watching a movie. The girl was repeatedly raped and assaulted by six men before being dumped on the road. She was initially taken to Safdarjung hospital and then shifted to a Singapore facility where she breathed her last. The brutality of the incident has spawned protests across the country.
The victim's family has demanded death sentence for all the accused. The youngest accused who is a juvenile has been tried under the juvenile law. Various organizations and committees have demanded the age of juveniles to be lowered under the Juvenile Justice Act. On Thursday, Women and Child Development Minister Krishna Tirath informed the Rajya Sabha that the government is not ready to lower the age of accused in crime cases.
Expressing anger over the minor's brutality, the victim's father said, "Sazaa kisi sey kam nahin honaa chahiye, chahey woh juvenile hai ya kuchh bhi hai (the punishment should not be less even if he is a juvenile)," reported The Times of India.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- Another Aviation Disaster: Taiwan Plane Crashes, Passengers Aboard Feared Dead [PHOTO]
- 'Dronies' to Become Latest Trend as Tourism New Zealand Buys Drone to Record Tourists' Videos
- MH370 Search Efforts Not Affected by MH17 Recovery; Australia Still Committed to Solving Mystery
- Former Destiny’s Child Star Farrah Franklin Arrested
- Asylum Seeker Women in Australia-Run Christmas Island Attempt Suicide in Desperation
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales
- Sony Xperia M2 vs. Moto G – Specifications, Features and Price Showdown