Amy Winehouse Husband Blake Fielder-Civil: I Got Her on to Heroin
By Dominic Gover | February 28, 2013 9:14 PM EST
Singer Amy Winehouse was introduced to hard drugs by husband Blake Fielder-Civil, he has admitted for the first time in a tell-all interview.
Fielder-Civil went on television to admit he was to blame for Winehouse getting hooked on heroin, because he introduced her to class A drugs two months after they married in 2007.
Speaking to chat show host Jeremy Kyle, Fielder-Civil claimed Winehouse's introduction to hard drugs pushed her onto a slippery slope of drug and alcohol abuse, culminating in her death at her Camden home in 2011.
Fielder-Civil said: "I admit I was there when she did it for the first time. I don't think she would ever have done it without me.
"I have to be really sort of conscious about what I say. I don't want to feel like I'm shirking responsibility, the fact is what I'm saying is of course I regret it.
"Not just because of the damage it's caused Amy and loss of life, but the damage to her family [and] also to my family and also to me. You know we've all sort of gone through this addiction."
Fielder-Civil recounted the first time Winehouse took the drug. It developed into a regular habit which saw the couple use it as addicts for four months.
"I'd taken it about three or four times, we were in a hotel in east London and I think I had about £10 of heroin with me, which is something I used to do after a club," he said.
"I was smoking it on foil and she said, 'Can I try some?' I think I might have put up a weak resistance, the fact is whatever I said she did end up having some."
Fielder-Civil also spoke of his reaction at discovering Winehouse had affairs while he was serving time for a previous conviction in 2009. He said: "It's hard enough to deal with at any time, but I was locked up with 800 people. I was embarrassed that people were reading about it. I felt emasculated and humiliated. I felt she had chosen to do this to get back at me."
Fielder-Civil revealed he found out Winehouse had died while he was in prison for drugs offences.
"For about two or three minutes I said "no, that's not true." I thought it would be a hoax on Twitter, so I made them show me six or seven websites. At that point I broke down and I couldn't stop crying. My cell-mate saw it on the news in the cell and when I got back he was crying and we had a hug."
Toxicology reports after her death revealed Winehouse was not killed by drugs, but died from the effects of alcohol withdrawal. Her album Back to Black shot back to the top of the charts after her death.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
Join the Conversation
- Japanese Whalers End Pacific Hunt with 115 Whales Dead and No Disruption from Sea Shepherd
- UFO Sightings: Mysterious Bright Lights Spotted Flashing over Toronto, Witnesses Share UFO Sighting Experience on Social Media [VIDEO]
- 'Watch the MH17 Plane Missile Hit Video Tape in Mobile' Goes Viral on Facebook
- Australia Ranks High in Human Development Index But Scores Low in Climate Change
- Andy Roddick and Mardy Fish Can't Play in the U.S. Open Due to Drug Testing Issues
- Billy Bob Thornton Want to Play Hodor in Game Of Thrones
- Fukushima Radiation Tests on Waters Along U.S. Coast Yield Negative Results
- Zac Efron Equates Boozing to a Social Stimulant, Admits Why He Checked into Rehab Last Year
- Celebrities Who Stripped Naked for Women's Health