Amy Winehouse Husband Blake Fielder-Civil: I Got Her on to Heroin
By Dominic Gover | February 28, 2013 9:14 PM EST
Singer Amy Winehouse was introduced to hard drugs by husband Blake Fielder-Civil, he has admitted for the first time in a tell-all interview.
Fielder-Civil went on television to admit he was to blame for Winehouse getting hooked on heroin, because he introduced her to class A drugs two months after they married in 2007.
Speaking to chat show host Jeremy Kyle, Fielder-Civil claimed Winehouse's introduction to hard drugs pushed her onto a slippery slope of drug and alcohol abuse, culminating in her death at her Camden home in 2011.
Fielder-Civil said: "I admit I was there when she did it for the first time. I don't think she would ever have done it without me.
"I have to be really sort of conscious about what I say. I don't want to feel like I'm shirking responsibility, the fact is what I'm saying is of course I regret it.
"Not just because of the damage it's caused Amy and loss of life, but the damage to her family [and] also to my family and also to me. You know we've all sort of gone through this addiction."
Fielder-Civil recounted the first time Winehouse took the drug. It developed into a regular habit which saw the couple use it as addicts for four months.
"I'd taken it about three or four times, we were in a hotel in east London and I think I had about £10 of heroin with me, which is something I used to do after a club," he said.
"I was smoking it on foil and she said, 'Can I try some?' I think I might have put up a weak resistance, the fact is whatever I said she did end up having some."
Fielder-Civil also spoke of his reaction at discovering Winehouse had affairs while he was serving time for a previous conviction in 2009. He said: "It's hard enough to deal with at any time, but I was locked up with 800 people. I was embarrassed that people were reading about it. I felt emasculated and humiliated. I felt she had chosen to do this to get back at me."
Fielder-Civil revealed he found out Winehouse had died while he was in prison for drugs offences.
"For about two or three minutes I said "no, that's not true." I thought it would be a hoax on Twitter, so I made them show me six or seven websites. At that point I broke down and I couldn't stop crying. My cell-mate saw it on the news in the cell and when I got back he was crying and we had a hug."
Toxicology reports after her death revealed Winehouse was not killed by drugs, but died from the effects of alcohol withdrawal. Her album Back to Black shot back to the top of the charts after her death.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kate Middleton Suffocated in Kensington Palace, Queen Elizabeth Reported War With The Duchess [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Dating Reports: Jennifer Lawrence Vs Gwyneth Paltrow [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Everything To Know [PHOTOS]
- 9/11 Dust Cloud Most Likely Have Created Pregnancy Issues: Celebrities Who Posed Nude During Pregnancy
Join the Conversation
- Immediate Deaths After Ice Bucket Challenge Are Hoaxes Gone Viral: Neck Injury And Hypothermia Killed Two People Performing The Stunt
- Risky Selfies That Were Taken A Few Seconds Before Tragedy Struck
- ISIS Update: Executioner of James Foley with British Accent Identified as ‘John’
- ISIS Beheading US Journalist James Foley Sparks Outrage, Netizens Demand 'All-Out War'
- Viral Video Missouri Mall: Back-To-School Promo Of East Hills Mall In Missouri Goes Viral As Terrible Mall Ad [WATCH VIDEO]
- 4.7-Inch, 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 Models Confirmed with Similar Build, Cam Features & 300+ Screen Pixels on Release Date
- Saudi Arabia: Brothers Beheaded For Smuggling Marijuana Into The Kingdom
- ISIS: More Journalists Beheading To Come After James Foley and Steven Sotloff [Video]
- Moto X+1 is Likely Nexus 6 Template; Motorola Shamu is 1st Android Silver with Snapdragon 810 – Reports
- James Foley’s Executioner Has British Accent—A Chilling Reminder That ISIS Has Foreign Members
- ISIS Posts Graphic Beheading Video of US Journalist James Foley
- iPhone 6 Release Date Remains On Course for Sept-Oct 2014 as Apple Delays iWatch Debut to 2015