Stock index futures point to slightly higher open
February 28, 2013 8:14 PM EST
Stock index futures pointed to a slightly higher open on Wall Street on Thursday.
Futures for the S&P 500 and the Dow Jones rose 0.2 percent, while contracts on the Nasdaq 100 were up 0.1 percent at 0852 GMT.
European shares also rose as investors took heart from fresh signs that central banks would continue steps to support the world's economy.
Revised U.S. GDP data at 1330 GMT is expected to show the U.S. economy grew by 0.5 percent in the fourth quarter, rather than a 0.1 percent contraction as initially estimated.
Weekly new jobless claims figures, due at the same time, are seen slowing to 360,000 from 362,000 in the previous seven days.
February's Chicago PMI, due out at 1445 GMT, is expected to come in at 54.3, from 55.6 last month.
Liberty Media Corp
J.C. Penney Co Inc
Business software provider Salesforce.com and clothes retailer Gap
U.S. authorities investigating possible insider trading in ketchup maker H.J. Heinz Co
Bond insurer MBIA Inc
Generic drugmaker Mylan Inc
The U.S. Justice Department said on Wednesday it has won a $1 billion tax shelter case against Dow Chemical Co
The Dow Jones industrial average <.DJI> was up 176.32 points, or 1.27 percent, at 14,076.45 on Wednesday. The Standard & Poor's 500 Index <.SPX> was up 19.07 points, or 1.27 percent, at 1,516.01. The Nasdaq Composite Index <.IXIC> was up 32.61 points, or 1.04 percent, at 3,162.26.
(Reporting by Francesco Canepa; Editing by Alison Williams)
Most Popular Slideshows
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
- Kate Middleton & Prince William Taking a Time Off in August Amidst Miscarriage & Adopting a Child Claims
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
Join the Conversation
- Apple iPhone 6 Release Date Update: 6 Most Wanted Feature Upgrades for Next iPhone
- HTC One M8 Windows Phone to Launch for Verizon; Release Date, Price, Five Fresh Features to Anticipate for New Smartphone
- OnePlus One vs. Moto X+1 – Early Specifications, Release Date and Price Faceoff
- Galaxy Note 4 Release Date Ahead of iPhone 6 Sept 2014 Debut; Specced-Up but Remains Plastic-Wrapped – Reports
- LG G2 Android 4.4.4 KitKat Guide: When to Hit Your Region and How to Install
- Update Samsung Galaxy S4 Mini with Android 4.4.2 KitKat
- LG G3 To Debut Moon Violet and Burgundy Red Shades in August; Upcoming LG Devices Roundup