Stock index futures point to slightly higher open
February 28, 2013 8:14 PM EST
Stock index futures pointed to a slightly higher open on Wall Street on Thursday.
Futures for the S&P 500 and the Dow Jones rose 0.2 percent, while contracts on the Nasdaq 100 were up 0.1 percent at 0852 GMT.
European shares also rose as investors took heart from fresh signs that central banks would continue steps to support the world's economy.
Revised U.S. GDP data at 1330 GMT is expected to show the U.S. economy grew by 0.5 percent in the fourth quarter, rather than a 0.1 percent contraction as initially estimated.
Weekly new jobless claims figures, due at the same time, are seen slowing to 360,000 from 362,000 in the previous seven days.
February's Chicago PMI, due out at 1445 GMT, is expected to come in at 54.3, from 55.6 last month.
Liberty Media Corp
J.C. Penney Co Inc
Business software provider Salesforce.com and clothes retailer Gap
U.S. authorities investigating possible insider trading in ketchup maker H.J. Heinz Co
Bond insurer MBIA Inc
Generic drugmaker Mylan Inc
The U.S. Justice Department said on Wednesday it has won a $1 billion tax shelter case against Dow Chemical Co
The Dow Jones industrial average <.DJI> was up 176.32 points, or 1.27 percent, at 14,076.45 on Wednesday. The Standard & Poor's 500 Index <.SPX> was up 19.07 points, or 1.27 percent, at 1,516.01. The Nasdaq Composite Index <.IXIC> was up 32.61 points, or 1.04 percent, at 3,162.26.
(Reporting by Francesco Canepa; Editing by Alison Williams)
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- ‘Sons of Anarchy’ Season 7 Finale Spoilers: Kurt Sutter On Ending The Biker Series And Picking The Right Song For The Final Ride
- Prince Charles’ Wife Camilla Parker-Bowles In Drug Scandal - Reports
- Camilla Parker-Bowles To Become Queen When Prince Charles Accedes To The Throne
Join the Conversation
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Redmi Note 2 vs iPhone 6: Samsung in Danger with Depressing Q3
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date Likely this October 2014 with Pangu not Evad3rs Firming Up as Creator
- Top 4 Free-To-Download Apps for Fuller iPhone 6, 6 Plus Experience
- Battery Saving Android 5.0 Lollipop Feature Extends The Battery Life Of Your Android Device By 90 Minutes And Displays Orange Bar While Power Saving Mode Is On
- Apple Inc. (AAPL) Stock Set to Soar Beyond $100 Despite Decline After New iPad Launch
- Russia Beefs Up Gold Reserves To Offset Heat of Sanctions And Undercut Dollar
- Australia's 'No Way' Anti-Asylum Seeker Poster Sparks Outrage