Stock index futures point to slightly higher open
February 28, 2013 8:14 PM EST
Stock index futures pointed to a slightly higher open on Wall Street on Thursday.
Futures for the S&P 500 and the Dow Jones rose 0.2 percent, while contracts on the Nasdaq 100 were up 0.1 percent at 0852 GMT.
European shares also rose as investors took heart from fresh signs that central banks would continue steps to support the world's economy.
Revised U.S. GDP data at 1330 GMT is expected to show the U.S. economy grew by 0.5 percent in the fourth quarter, rather than a 0.1 percent contraction as initially estimated.
Weekly new jobless claims figures, due at the same time, are seen slowing to 360,000 from 362,000 in the previous seven days.
February's Chicago PMI, due out at 1445 GMT, is expected to come in at 54.3, from 55.6 last month.
Liberty Media Corp
J.C. Penney Co Inc
Business software provider Salesforce.com and clothes retailer Gap
U.S. authorities investigating possible insider trading in ketchup maker H.J. Heinz Co
Bond insurer MBIA Inc
Generic drugmaker Mylan Inc
The U.S. Justice Department said on Wednesday it has won a $1 billion tax shelter case against Dow Chemical Co
The Dow Jones industrial average <.DJI> was up 176.32 points, or 1.27 percent, at 14,076.45 on Wednesday. The Standard & Poor's 500 Index <.SPX> was up 19.07 points, or 1.27 percent, at 1,516.01. The Nasdaq Composite Index <.IXIC> was up 32.61 points, or 1.04 percent, at 3,162.26.
(Reporting by Francesco Canepa; Editing by Alison Williams)
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kristen Stewart Moving On With Nicholas Hoult, Jennifer Lawrence Dating Chris Martin – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Dating Reports: Jennifer Lawrence Vs Gwyneth Paltrow [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton Suffocated in Kensington Palace, Queen Elizabeth Reported War With The Duchess [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Everything To Know [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Saudi Arabia: Brothers Beheaded For Smuggling Marijuana Into The Kingdom
- ISIS Posts Graphic Beheading Video of US Journalist James Foley
- ISIS: More Journalists Beheading To Come After James Foley and Steven Sotloff [Video]
- Moto X+1 is Likely Nexus 6 Template; Motorola Shamu is 1st Android Silver with Snapdragon 810 – Reports
- Nexus 6 Release Date Dilemma with Motorola Shamu Details Pointing to Better Smartphone and Killer Features
- James Foley’s Executioner Has British Accent—A Chilling Reminder That ISIS Has Foreign Members
- After James Foley, ISIL Threatens to Behead Another American Journalist Steven Sotloff