Stock index futures point to slightly higher open
February 28, 2013 8:14 PM EST
Stock index futures pointed to a slightly higher open on Wall Street on Thursday.
Futures for the S&P 500 and the Dow Jones rose 0.2 percent, while contracts on the Nasdaq 100 were up 0.1 percent at 0852 GMT.
European shares also rose as investors took heart from fresh signs that central banks would continue steps to support the world's economy.
Revised U.S. GDP data at 1330 GMT is expected to show the U.S. economy grew by 0.5 percent in the fourth quarter, rather than a 0.1 percent contraction as initially estimated.
Weekly new jobless claims figures, due at the same time, are seen slowing to 360,000 from 362,000 in the previous seven days.
February's Chicago PMI, due out at 1445 GMT, is expected to come in at 54.3, from 55.6 last month.
Liberty Media Corp
J.C. Penney Co Inc
Business software provider Salesforce.com and clothes retailer Gap
U.S. authorities investigating possible insider trading in ketchup maker H.J. Heinz Co
Bond insurer MBIA Inc
Generic drugmaker Mylan Inc
The U.S. Justice Department said on Wednesday it has won a $1 billion tax shelter case against Dow Chemical Co
The Dow Jones industrial average <.DJI> was up 176.32 points, or 1.27 percent, at 14,076.45 on Wednesday. The Standard & Poor's 500 Index <.SPX> was up 19.07 points, or 1.27 percent, at 1,516.01. The Nasdaq Composite Index <.IXIC> was up 32.61 points, or 1.04 percent, at 3,162.26.
(Reporting by Francesco Canepa; Editing by Alison Williams)
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Russia's New Tactical Nuclear Weapons Program Growing Confident Against the US: Talks of World War III
- Apple and Google Engage in Thermonuclear War, New Google Translate Chat App in the Works
- Kobani ISIS Fighter Sends Out Desperate Message For Prayers And Support: Euphoria Turns Into Desperation As Kurds Advance
- Chris Algieri’s Battered Face Trends On Social Media
- Home Depot Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Up To Nov. 29, 2014 Includes Special Buys On Appliances Such As Samsung Refrigerators, Whirlpool Electric Ranges And Hoover Vacuum Cleaners
- Highest Paid NBA Players 2014: NBA Stars Who Earn More Than LeBron James
- Walmart Offers the Best 2014 Black Friday Deals on iPhone 6, iPad Ai2 & Other Gadgets – Reports