Mystery Shark Caught Off WA Two Years Ago Identified As Mandarin Dogfish, A Rare Find in Australian Waters
By Esther Tanquintic-Misa | February 28, 2013 7:16 PM EST
Experts have identified that the mysterious shark caught two years ago by a local fisherman off Rottnest Island was a mandarin dogfish, a specie that's only usually found between Indonesia and Japan as well as in New Zealand.
A two-year investigation including DNA sequencing on the shark lead to the conclusion, Ryan Kempster, a shark biologist from the University of Western Australia's Oceans Institute, said.
There were actually two mandarin dogfish sharks, a male and female, roaming in the waters that time two years ago, according to Steve Downs, the recreational fisherman who saw them. The male was just under a metre long while the pregnant female was about 1.2 metres long.
"When I saw them, they had characteristics of many different sharks, but not all the characteristics of one species," said Mr Kempster, whose help Mr Downs sought because he failed to identify the species of the sharks.
It then turned out that the species had actually never been seen in Australian waters before.
What's more, in the conduct of their evaluation, Mr Kempster said a female mandarin dogfish normally only has up to 10 the maximum number of pups. Or so experts thought.
"The female shark found off Rottnest had 22 unborn pups and is only the second-ever recorded specimen of a pregnant female of this species," he said."Previously, it was thought that the maximum number of pups for this species was 10."
The experts still cannot offer any conclusive reason as to why the couple mandarin dogfish sharks were found far away from their normal habitat.
"While people talk about climate change and warmer waters affecting the populations of sharks, these sharks are found in the deep sea and therefore the temperatures down there would not have changed much in the past couple of hundred years," he said.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Matmo Leaves 32k Customers w/o Electricity in Taiwan, Weakens After Landing in China
Join the Conversation
- Ideological Support Swells for Scottish Independence
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Dutch Wants Putin's Daughter Maria Deported to Russia From Holland
- New Zealand and China Decide to Boost Defence Ties
- Gaza Crisis: 695 Dead & 4,500 Injured, UN Accuses Israel of War Crimes
- Scientists Warn MERS Virus Could be Spread Airborne
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- HTC Google Nexus 8 Release Date Imminent with New Nexus 7 Deals, Two New Tablets Soon
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales