Samsung Launches Wallet App To Rival Apple’s Passport [VIDEO]
By Vijaykumar Meti | February 28, 2013 7:14 PM EST
Samsung Electronics has always been in head-to-head competition with Apple Inc. and once again the South Korean electronics giant is directly aiming Apple's Passport application by announcing its new Samsung Wallet app for Android devices in a developer conference at the Mobile World Congress at Barcelona.
The company has also released the API (Application Programming Interface) for the Samsung Wallet. The API allows Samsung's partners to integrate their tickets and coupons to the Samsung Wallet app.
The Samsung Wallet works pretty much same as the Apple's Passbook does. It allows users to store event tickets, boarding passes, membership cards and coupons in the app.
Both Passbook and Wallet shares some common features such as time and location-based push notifications and real-time updates.
At the developer conference, Samsung showed few features of its new app. The app is not yet available for users to download on Google Play but developers can download the app preview on the company's site. Samsung also cited that the final app will be available very soon for users.
Samsung has tied up with several partners to support Wallet, including Walgreens Belly, Lufthansa, Experida, Hotels.com, Booking.com and Major League Baseball Advanced Media. Samsung has also integrated Near-Field Communication (NFC) technology. Recently Samsung partnered with Visa's PayWave service which lets user to just wave the device at NFC terminals to make payment.
Samsung released a press invite for its next event on March 14 in New York and the company is expected to announce the next Galaxy S smartphone. It also looks like the Wallet app will be a major feature in the Galaxy S4 smartphone.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Washington Redskins 20, Dallas Cowboys 17 (OT) [PHOTOS]
- Emma Watson Gets 'Squished' In 'Colonia Dignidad' [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 6: Kansas City Royals 10, San Francisco Giants 0 [PHOTOS]
- San Francisco Giants Beat Kansas City Royals, 3-2 In Game 7, Wins 2014 MLB World Series [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Marvel Announces Release Dates Of 11 Upcoming Movies From 2015 To 2019
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Xiaomi Becomes World’s Third Largest Smartphone Manufacturer By Dethroning Huawei
- Entry Of Peshmerga Fighters From Iraq Boosts The Kobani Battle Against ISIS: Turkey Provides Transit
- Nexus 6, 9 Buyers on November Release Will Enjoy These 3 Killer Lollipop 5.0 Features First
- Apple iPhone 6 Plus vs Motorola Droid Turbo: Comparsion On Processor, Software And Battery
- Australia Special Forces Await 'Delayed' Iraqi Visas Before Joining ISIS Fight