China's Tencent to delve deeper into Indonesia social media market
February 28, 2013 6:56 PM EST
Tencent Holdings, China's biggest online gaming and social networking company, has set up a joint venture with Indonesia's biggest media group PT Global Mediacom to tap the country's growing social media market.
The venture will further promote Tencent's highly popular mobile chatting app WeChat, which the company introduced to Indonesia late last year and other products will also be introduced in the future.
"The partnership between Tencent and MNC is our strategic step to expand our reach to Indonesian customers," said Martin Lau, Tencent's president said in a statement.
Hillhouse Capital, one of China's biggest investment funds, is participating in the venture. The companies did not provide financial terms.
Hary Tanoesoedibjo, owner of MNC group and CEO of Global Mediacom, told Reuters in 2012 that he plans to develop local social media platforms as well as online gaming to tap the growing domestic market.
(Reporting by Fathiya Dahrul; Editing by Edwina Gibbs)
Join the Conversation
- Tourre on stand says email in SEC case 'not accurate'
- Syrian authorities blocking access to needy in Homs - Red Cross
- Faith in European Union at low ebb, EU poll says
- Former UBS banker gets 18 months, $1 million fine, for muni bid-rigging scheme
- U.S. judge halts challenges to Detroit's bankruptcy bid
- 5 Proofs Russia is Geared-Up for Shooting War with U.S. and Can Win Future Nuclear Showdown
- Target’s ‘Surprise Doorbusters’ Black Friday 2014 Deals On TV Sets, Entertainment Centres, DVD Players And More
- IKEA Black Friday 2014 Ad Includes Discounts On Home Furnishings, Appliances, Kitchen Designs, Beds, Sofas, Mattresses And Toys
- T-Mobile’s Black Friday 2014 Deals On Apple iPhone 6, Samsung Galaxy Note 4/Edge, Nexus 6, HTC One M8, LG G3, iPad Air 2 And Mini 3
- Black Friday And Cyber Monday Sale 2014: AT&T's Cricket Wireless Offers Discounts On Lumia 1320, Galaxy S5, S4 And HTC Desire 510
- ISIS Drug Transit From Afghanistan To Europe Confirmed By Russia: Money Goes Into Terror Funding And In New Recruitments
- ISIS Kidnaps Iraqi Defence Minister’s Family, Executes Female Parliament Candidates