Mobile World Congress 2013 Roundup: New Phones from Samsung, NEC, Cat B15, Doro PhoneEasy
By Gilda Galang | February 28, 2013 4:17 PM EST
Amid smartphones and tablets left and right (as well as rumors flying way before the actual event), it's easy to assume that you already know what to expect at the MWC Congress.
But surprisingly, there were a few standouts and unique concepts that hoped to make a buzz-and may just have, at the MWC Congress.
NEC dual-screen Medias
Most smartphones in the industry have been faced-off against each other and criticized for similar designs. NEC found a way to set itself apart from all other competitors, with the Medias W N-05 E, a dual-screen Android phone.
At first glance, the Medias phone has a finely designed feel to it-though one half of the two screens do have that similar rectangular slim body with a rounded edge. But, according to PC Mag, what may become a jarring feature for users is the middle bezel between the two screens, which sort of ruins the feel of a double screen smoothly flowing from left to right.
Imagine watching a video from this kind of screen. Still, the features are something to take note of. You have a 1.5GHz dual-core Qualcomm MSM 8960 chip, Android 4.1, a 2100 mAh battery, an 8.1-megapixel rear camera, and 16GB of storage.
The Japanese handset is slated for release this April.
The last thing you'd expect is for an industrial company like Caterpillar Inc, maker of construction and mining equipment, is a release its own smartphone. But it did, which made it one of the standouts in the MWC Congress 2013.
According to CNet, the Cat B15 is tailor-fit for those who are working in harsher conditions, and given the background of Caterpillar Inc., it's a pretty sensible creation. But what's surprising about it is that it still packs quite a lot of impressive features when you put it side-by-side with an Android phone.
The Cat B15 boasts of an Android 4.1 Jelly Bean inside, a 4-inch touch screen, 3G capability, a 1GHz dual-core MediaTek processor, a 5-megapixel rear camera, and VGA front one, and a 4GB internal storage that is expandable to 32GB with microSD.
But the added value here lies in its external capabilities. A rubber back, harder angles, and made of hardened rubber and aluminum materials, you know it's for the tougher elements. Its visible buttons are yellow and raised for better viewing. You get dust flaps for jack, and charging port that keeps it waterproof up to 1 meter for 30 minutes.
Best of all, 6-foot drops and an operating capacity at temperatures of -20 to 55 degrees, you know that this phone can take some heat, cold, and action in one.
Doro PhoneEasy and PhoneSecure
The MWC Congress isn't all just about smartphones and tablets as Doro, Swedish telecommunications developer company, rolls out new feature phones designed for the older generation.
Standing out from the pack is the Doro PhoneEasy® 622 and the Doro Secure® 681. The former handset is designed to feature stylish and smart technology, featuring 3G technology and cloud-based systems, while the latter model has an added feature of telecare support service for potential users who are always in their homes, reports GlobeNewsWire.
Samsung Galaxy Xcover 2
It seems that the rugged-ized smartphones are making a scene-and as expected, Samsung has also dabbled in this area.
Aside from news of the Galaxy Note 8.0, Samsung has also showcased another Galaxy handset, dubbed the Xcover 2. It features the Android Jelly Bean 4.1.2, 1 GHz processor, 1GB of Ram, 4GB of storage with expansion capacities, and is around 4-inches.
Sounds familiar? Sort of, considering that Caterpillar Inc. has also released a phone that's almost similar in specs. But Samsung's Xcover 2 is more refined in terms of design, making you wonder if it really is a phone for the more rugged user.
But according to EndGadget, the Xcover 2 has IP certification as a dust- and waterproof device with the capacity of a meter deep in water for 30 minutes.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis Meets Sudanese Woman Who Was Spared Death for Apostasy (PHOTOS)
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MH17: King Williem-Alexander, Queen Maxima Hold Solemn Reception Ceremony for Victims
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Malaysian Airlines Flight 17: Air Carrier Losing $1.6 Million/Day; Crisis Management Experts Suggest Hiring Risk Expert as CEO
- Biggest Australian IPO in 4 Years as Healthscope Could Raises $2.12 Billion
- CBA, NAB, Westpac in Fixed Rate War Offering Below 5% Interest
- MH17: ‘Trademark Trolls’ Make Profit Out of the Tragedy
- Radio Australia Cuts to Affect Isolated Vanuatu Residents Who Rely on It for Weather Bulletins
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- HTC Google Nexus 8 Release Date Imminent with New Nexus 7 Deals, Two New Tablets Soon
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- HTC One E8 (Plastic Variant of HTC One M8) with 5-Inch Display, Dual-SIM, 801 Processor and 2 GB RAM to Hit New Markets Soon
- iPhone 6 Release Date in September 26 with Price Details and More Killer Features
- Apple iPad Mini Air: Three Fresh Features on the Smart Tablet to Wait for
- 4.7-Inch iPhone 6 Release Date is Sept 26 after iOS 8 GM Public Debut on Sept 17 – Reports