Whalley Frontman Up and About, Brain Rid of Tapeworm
By Gilda Galang | February 28, 2013 2:22 PM EST
It's just like one of the cases the series House M.D., where a pig tapeworm is found to be in the lodged in a patient's brain, causing all sorts of bodily problems. Only this time, it happened to Australian punk rock band Jay Whalley.
In a post in the official Frenzal Rhomb Facebook account, Whalley wrote about his entire experience, from the moment that he had started to experience seizures-which happened twice before he got hospitalized-to the time when he had his "Valentines Day Brain Surgery."
What they had first thought to be a potential malignant melanoma turned out to be an egg from a pig tapeworm that was about 1 cm in diameter.
"Once in my stomach, they never become tapeworms but they migrate into the muscle, most of the time causing no problem and you'll never know it's there," he said. "The only place you'll have problem is if they make it to your brain or eyes."
This may come as a surprise to Whalley's fans, especially those who know that Whalley is not a fan of meat, as he is vegetarian. But according to his account, it may have come from improper food preparation.
Basically, there are many ways to contract a tapeworm, the most common of which is consuming undercooked or raw meat, according to BetterHealth. But there re also times when they humans can get it when coming into contact with pets who are carriers.
In Australia, the hydatid tapeworm is said to be the most common and most serious infestation, and mostly transmitted through dogs, once a person comes into contact with its feces.
The infection can go so far as to become fatal, once cysts start to form around the vital organs.
Fortunately for Whalley, his condition was resolved after his operation last February 14. What's more, the operation didn't do anything to quell Whalley's spirit or humor, for that matter. He is now out of the hospital despite an extension for two other infections that he contracted after the operation.
And he has now taken to updating the band's fans about his condition, giving his regrets about cancelled shows, and basically coming up with creative names for himself in lieu of the creative way that he contracted the infection, starting with Ham Solo, Notorious P.I.G., and Oink182, as he goes back in the studio for their ninth album.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named People's Best Dressed Stars Of 2014 [PHOTOS]
- Champions League Results: Barcelona Barely Escapes With A Win, Chelsea Fails To Hold On To The Lead [PHOTOS]
- Jeremy Lin, Kobe Bryant Among The Top 5 Overpaid Players In The NBA (Part 1 - Western Conference)
- Reasons Why Michael Jordan Is Better Than LeBron James [PHOTOS And VIDEO]
Join the Conversation
- "Game of Thrones" Season 5 Spoilers -- Arya Stark’s New Costume, Mace Tyrell And Tycho Spotted On The Sets
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers For Sept. 19, 2014: Hope Needs To Decide If She Will Stay With Wyatt Or Go With Liam [WATCH VIDEO]
- The Pirate Bay Founder Peter Sunde’s Freedom: Hollywood People Oppose TPB Founder’s Imprisonment
- 'Dancing With The Stars' (DWTS) Season 19 (2014) Week 2 Spoilers: Things To Expect; Find Out Which Choreographer Is Quitting
- 'Downton Abbey' Spoilers: 'Surprising New Stories' In Season 5, George Clooney's Cameo Appearance
- 2 Reasons Nexus 6 Release Date is Worth the Wait: Android L Data Encryption & Material Design
- Google Release Roundup: New Nexus 6, Nexus 8, Android 5.0 L Launch and Killer Features
- Unofficial ‘Samsung Galaxy Alpha’ Can Now Be Purchased For $700 In The US
- Xperia Z, Xperia ZL, Xperia ZR Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Update: Pangu Devs Will Outrace Evad3rs in Rollout of iPhone 6, iPad Unlocker
- Canada Consumer Alert: Costco No Longer Accepting American Express Cards Starting Jan 1
- Sony Xperia E3 vs. Moto G (2014) – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown