Whalley Frontman Up and About, Brain Rid of Tapeworm
By Gilda Galang | February 28, 2013 2:22 PM EST
It's just like one of the cases the series House M.D., where a pig tapeworm is found to be in the lodged in a patient's brain, causing all sorts of bodily problems. Only this time, it happened to Australian punk rock band Jay Whalley.
In a post in the official Frenzal Rhomb Facebook account, Whalley wrote about his entire experience, from the moment that he had started to experience seizures-which happened twice before he got hospitalized-to the time when he had his "Valentines Day Brain Surgery."
What they had first thought to be a potential malignant melanoma turned out to be an egg from a pig tapeworm that was about 1 cm in diameter.
"Once in my stomach, they never become tapeworms but they migrate into the muscle, most of the time causing no problem and you'll never know it's there," he said. "The only place you'll have problem is if they make it to your brain or eyes."
This may come as a surprise to Whalley's fans, especially those who know that Whalley is not a fan of meat, as he is vegetarian. But according to his account, it may have come from improper food preparation.
Basically, there are many ways to contract a tapeworm, the most common of which is consuming undercooked or raw meat, according to BetterHealth. But there re also times when they humans can get it when coming into contact with pets who are carriers.
In Australia, the hydatid tapeworm is said to be the most common and most serious infestation, and mostly transmitted through dogs, once a person comes into contact with its feces.
The infection can go so far as to become fatal, once cysts start to form around the vital organs.
Fortunately for Whalley, his condition was resolved after his operation last February 14. What's more, the operation didn't do anything to quell Whalley's spirit or humor, for that matter. He is now out of the hospital despite an extension for two other infections that he contracted after the operation.
And he has now taken to updating the band's fans about his condition, giving his regrets about cancelled shows, and basically coming up with creative names for himself in lieu of the creative way that he contracted the infection, starting with Ham Solo, Notorious P.I.G., and Oink182, as he goes back in the studio for their ninth album.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
Join the Conversation
- Orange is the New Black Season 3: Laura Prepon Hints Strain in Alex, Piper Relationship, New Actor Roped-in [Spoilers]
- The Big Bang Theory: Mayim Bialik Talks about Sheldon, Amy Kiss in Season 7 [KISS VIDEO]
- Queen Elizabeth and Kate Middleton Clash Again: Duchess Scared of Difficult Pregnancy, Adopting Second 'Royal' Baby - Reports
- True Blood Spoilers: Alcide Killed because Season 7 is Bill, Sookie’s Season
- Rob Kardashian's Ex-Girlfriend Adrienne Bailon FInally Removes Cheating Reality Star's Name from Her Butt
- Samsung Galaxy S5 Alpha Leaks Online: Release Date, Five Features to Wait for New Smart Phone
- Freshly Leaked Apple iPad Air 2 Cases Confirm Touch ID Sensor; Release Date, Limited Specs and Price Listed
- Photos of Motorola Moto X+1 Prototype and Specs Leak Online, Release Date, Four Fresh Features Revealed
- Moto X Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide: Schedule and How to Install
- Sony Xperia Z3: Release Date, Five Features to Expect from New Android Smart Phone
- Top Surprising Features Of iOS 8
- Top 4 Reasons Why iPhone 6 Will Hit Big Soon After its Sept 2014 Release Date