iPad Mini 2 Release Date: Apple’s Purchase of Display Components Points to Retina Display, Earlier 2013 Release
By Erik Pineda | February 28, 2013 2:14 PM EST
Production of the iPad Mini 2 with Retina display technology is currently underway, a new report claims, pointing to a supply chain movement that saw Apple allegedly ordering display panels with 2048 x 1536 resolution for a 7.9 screen tablet.
The report from BrightWire clearly alludes to the second generation iPad Mini, which analysts said will be pushed out to global markets anytime starting July this year.
However, the new development now suggest that Apple could advance the iPad Mini 2 release, a prospect that some analysts said could take place as early as March 2013 or barely six months after the first edition was rolled out.
The argument is Apple would want a quick follow through on the success of its smaller tablet, which the tech giant said was responsible for collecting 23 million of total sales in Q4 2013 alone.
The fast upgrade cycle should also address growing Apple shareholders' rambling that shares value of the company is fast-declining due to increasing competition on smartphone and tablet fronts, in which the tech titan was virtually unchallenged in previous quarters.
Still, Apple's planned product launches this year remain shrouded in mystery as the same report noted that the firm's panel order specifics pointed to an iPad Mini that will flash a screen pixel density of 400ppi.
This contradicts earlier speculations that the Mini will have an already jaw-dropping display resolution of 326ppi, the best among its class.
Citing its source, a South Korean online news site, BrightWire explained the discrepancy by offering that Apple intends to use the 400ppi panel on the high-speculated iPhone 6, which reports said will sport a 4.8-inch screen size.
However, analysts are convinced that if indeed Apple is mulling an iPhone 6 release it won't happen until Q1 2014 as the panel component of the oversized smartphone is yet to be finalised.
So if ordering the panel this early is premature and unwise on Apple's part, could it be that Apple is pulling off a welcome surprise by issuing two iPad Mini 2 versions?
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Celebrities Who Got Pregnant Using IVF: Busting the Myths About IVF
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
Join the Conversation
- New Malaysia Airlines Caught in Adelaide Airport Latest Scare
- Toyota Tops World Sales of Cars, Sells Over 5K Million Vehicles in First Half of 2014
- Formula 1 Chief Sues Google over Sex Party Pictures
- Qatar's Surging Real Estate Prices Won't Affect Thriving Economy – Report
- Instagram's Newest App Bolt Now Available Exclusively in New Zealand, Singapore and South Africa
- Freshly Leaked Apple iPad Air 2 Cases Confirm Touch ID Sensor; Release Date, Limited Specs and Price Listed
- Moto X Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide: Schedule and How to Install
- Top 4 Reasons Why iPhone 6 Will Hit Big Soon After its Sept 2014 Release Date
- Top Surprising Features Of iOS 8
- Twin Malaysia Airlines MH370, MH17 Aviation Disasters Create Phobia Among Travellers
- OnePlus One vs. Moto X+1 – Early Specifications, Release Date and Price Faceoff
- 2014 Ebola Outbreak: ‘Out of control… and Can Get Worse'; Asky Airline Stops Flying to Liberia, Sierra Leone; Liberia Closes Schools