iPad Mini 2 Release Date: Apple’s Purchase of Display Components Points to Retina Display, Earlier 2013 Release
By Erik Pineda | February 28, 2013 2:14 PM EST
Production of the iPad Mini 2 with Retina display technology is currently underway, a new report claims, pointing to a supply chain movement that saw Apple allegedly ordering display panels with 2048 x 1536 resolution for a 7.9 screen tablet.
The report from BrightWire clearly alludes to the second generation iPad Mini, which analysts said will be pushed out to global markets anytime starting July this year.
However, the new development now suggest that Apple could advance the iPad Mini 2 release, a prospect that some analysts said could take place as early as March 2013 or barely six months after the first edition was rolled out.
The argument is Apple would want a quick follow through on the success of its smaller tablet, which the tech giant said was responsible for collecting 23 million of total sales in Q4 2013 alone.
The fast upgrade cycle should also address growing Apple shareholders' rambling that shares value of the company is fast-declining due to increasing competition on smartphone and tablet fronts, in which the tech titan was virtually unchallenged in previous quarters.
Still, Apple's planned product launches this year remain shrouded in mystery as the same report noted that the firm's panel order specifics pointed to an iPad Mini that will flash a screen pixel density of 400ppi.
This contradicts earlier speculations that the Mini will have an already jaw-dropping display resolution of 326ppi, the best among its class.
Citing its source, a South Korean online news site, BrightWire explained the discrepancy by offering that Apple intends to use the 400ppi panel on the high-speculated iPhone 6, which reports said will sport a 4.8-inch screen size.
However, analysts are convinced that if indeed Apple is mulling an iPhone 6 release it won't happen until Q1 2014 as the panel component of the oversized smartphone is yet to be finalised.
So if ordering the panel this early is premature and unwise on Apple's part, could it be that Apple is pulling off a welcome surprise by issuing two iPad Mini 2 versions?
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Matmo Leaves 32k Customers w/o Electricity in Taiwan, Weakens After Landing in China
Join the Conversation
- California Fruits Recalled in USA and Canada for Possible Listeria Contamination
- Malaysian Airlines Flight 17: Air Carrier Losing $1.6 Million/Day; Crisis Management Experts Suggest Hiring Risk Expert as CEO
- The IBM and Apple Merger: Will it Spell Trouble to Rival Companies
- Biggest Australian IPO in 4 Years as Healthscope Could Raises $2.12 Billion
- CBA, NAB, Westpac in Fixed Rate War Offering Below 5% Interest
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- HTC Google Nexus 8 Release Date Imminent with New Nexus 7 Deals, Two New Tablets Soon
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales