Apple May Lose Most Admired Company Tag as Share Prices Plummet 37%
By Vittorio Hernandez | February 28, 2013 2:10 PM EST
Apple Chief Executive Officer Tim Cook admitted to shareholders at the company's yearly meeting on Wednesday that he didn't like the downward trajectory of the company's share prices. He was responding to alarm by shareholders that Apple stocks are down 37 per cent since September 2012.
An Apple (NASDAQ: AAPL) share traded $444.57 on Wednesday, down by $4.40 or 98 per cent from the previous day's trading.
Valuewalk.com cited an article by Forbes contributor Brad Chases that while Apple would definitely not disappear anytime, its "once-invincible brand is teetering on the edge of a long, steady drop."
Forbes is scheduled to release its 2013 annual rankings this week, and Mr Chases expects Apple to be toppled from the top spot.
The decline in Apple's value came just over a year after the death of founder Steve Jobs and rival Samsung's eating into its market in the smartphone category. The tough competition has resulted in several ongoing legal battles in different countries.
Mr Chases attributed the plummeting value of Apple to device glitches, missed deadlines and high prices.
Apple, however, is far from bankruptcy as it has a $137 billion cash hoard which shareholders want to be returned to them in the form of dividends. However, Apple proposed that the cash be issued instead as preferred shares. A judge favoured the cash dividend.
Mr Cook assured shareholders that Apple is in very active discussions what to do with the cash stockpile.
The stock value decline has so far wiped off about $240 billion for shareholders' wealth. To reverse the downward movement of Apple stock, Mr Cook said the tech giant will roll out soon Apple products but did not elaborate on what devices will be launched soon.
Analysts are recommending a sell for Apple stocks.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- California Fruits Recalled in USA and Canada for Possible Listeria Contamination
- Malaysian Airlines Flight 17: Air Carrier Losing $1.6 Million/Day; Crisis Management Experts Suggest Hiring Risk Expert as CEO
- The IBM and Apple Merger: Will it Spell Trouble to Rival Companies
- CBA, NAB, Westpac in Fixed Rate War Offering Below 5% Interest
- Radio Australia Cuts to Affect Isolated Vanuatu Residents Who Rely on It for Weather Bulletins
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales
- HTC Google Nexus 8 Release Date Imminent with New Nexus 7 Deals, Two New Tablets Soon