Oscars 2013 Red Carpet Trend: Glamorous Black and Gold
By Ayessa Desiderio | February 28, 2013 1:53 PM EST
The Oscars is revered as much for its fashion choices as the trophies the Academy hands out. As the awards season wraps up, we take a look at the celebrity style picks that will surely endure beyond the red carpet.
One trend that made waves on the prestigious awards show is black and gold gowns. The dramatic look calls to mind a Cleopatra-like image: sultry, strong and sleek, exactly how a modern woman wants to feel on one of the biggest nights of the year.
Halle Berry may not be up for an Oscar this year, but the 2002 Best Actress winner was a certified stunner on the red carpet. The beauty shone (literally!) in the awards show donning a striped black and silver Versace number with a plunging neckline that highlighted Berry's famous curves. Known for being one of the ultimate style icons during the Oscars, the actress was the picture-perfect image of a Bond girl.
Catherine Zeta-Jones always looks captivating in the spotlight, but the 43-year-old turned up the heat a few notches higher in a beaded gold Zuhair Murad gown. The dress shimmered in front of the cameras, drawing attention to the actress' flawless curves. She complemented the romantic look with dangling Lorraine Schwartz earrings and relatively neutral makeup.
Mexican beauty Salma Hayek is the epitome of Hollywood glitz and glamour in a floor-length Alexander McQueen gown with a dramatic gold neckline. Pulling up her hair to emphasize the embellished neckline, the actress looked like a goddess in the form-fitting velvet number. Hayek's gold clutch and tiara completed the eye-catching ensemble.
Sandra Bullock made her Oscar red carpet comeback in A-list fashion with a sheer black Elie Saab dress. The glittering number fit the actress' athletic physique perfectly, complemented with sleek hair and natural make-up.
Another celebrity who belonged on the red carpet was Stacy Keibler who looked every bit the star in a metallic Naeem Khan gown. The black and silver dress was a good choice for the statuesque Keibler-and of course George Clooney on her arm helped.
Finally, Nicole Kidman brings the two trends together in an alluring L'wren Scott number. The floor-skimming black gown with heavy gold sequins ensured that the Oscar-winning actress glittered on the red carpet.
Other celebrities who kept with the black and gold trend are Jessica Chastain in Armani Prive, Jenna Dewan-Tatum in Rachel Roy, Adele in Jenny Packham and Kelly Osbourne in Tony Ward Couture.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
- Kate Middleton's Pregnancy Hearsays: Possible Evidence Revealed [PHOTOS]
- Selena Gomez Turns 22 Today, Celebrates Early without Justin Bieber: Top 12 Interesting Facts About the Singer [SEE PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Star Wars Episode VII: Jedi Master's Search, Luke's Lightsaber From the Sky
- Avengers 2: Ultron's First Attack On The Avengers, More Details on the Avengers Tower Party
- Bachelorette 2014, Bachelor 2015 Spoilers: Andi Dorfman Hints at Next Bachelor; Find Out What He Thinks About the Job
- Castle Season 7 Spoilers: Stana Katic says ‘Back in the Saddle’, Beckett, Castle Romance to Grow Stronger
- Selena Gomez & Andre Hamann Update: Andre Calls Selena Stunning, Admits Crush on Singer
- Fresh Leak Hints iPhone 6 Price and Release Date; 4.7-Inches iPhone 6 Sapphire Display Scratched in Test; New Spigen Cases Out
- iPhone 6 2014 Release Date Very Soon as Apple Orders 120M New iPhones from Foxconn – Report
- Google Nexus 6 on Release Date Will Sport 2K Display Panel & Lower Price Tag – Report
- Motorola Moto G Vs. Xiaomi Mi3 – Low in Price, High -level Features
- FCC Approves Sony Xperia Z3 for U.S. Market
- Killer Xiaomi Mi4 at $369 Likely to Come With 5.0-Inch Display, Snapdragon 801 Processor, 3GB RAM and More
- Sony PlayStation 4 Outsells a Resurgent Xbox One in June