Oscars 2013 Red Carpet Trend: Glamorous Black and Gold
By Ayessa Desiderio | February 28, 2013 1:53 PM EST
The Oscars is revered as much for its fashion choices as the trophies the Academy hands out. As the awards season wraps up, we take a look at the celebrity style picks that will surely endure beyond the red carpet.
One trend that made waves on the prestigious awards show is black and gold gowns. The dramatic look calls to mind a Cleopatra-like image: sultry, strong and sleek, exactly how a modern woman wants to feel on one of the biggest nights of the year.
Halle Berry may not be up for an Oscar this year, but the 2002 Best Actress winner was a certified stunner on the red carpet. The beauty shone (literally!) in the awards show donning a striped black and silver Versace number with a plunging neckline that highlighted Berry's famous curves. Known for being one of the ultimate style icons during the Oscars, the actress was the picture-perfect image of a Bond girl.
Catherine Zeta-Jones always looks captivating in the spotlight, but the 43-year-old turned up the heat a few notches higher in a beaded gold Zuhair Murad gown. The dress shimmered in front of the cameras, drawing attention to the actress' flawless curves. She complemented the romantic look with dangling Lorraine Schwartz earrings and relatively neutral makeup.
Mexican beauty Salma Hayek is the epitome of Hollywood glitz and glamour in a floor-length Alexander McQueen gown with a dramatic gold neckline. Pulling up her hair to emphasize the embellished neckline, the actress looked like a goddess in the form-fitting velvet number. Hayek's gold clutch and tiara completed the eye-catching ensemble.
Sandra Bullock made her Oscar red carpet comeback in A-list fashion with a sheer black Elie Saab dress. The glittering number fit the actress' athletic physique perfectly, complemented with sleek hair and natural make-up.
Another celebrity who belonged on the red carpet was Stacy Keibler who looked every bit the star in a metallic Naeem Khan gown. The black and silver dress was a good choice for the statuesque Keibler-and of course George Clooney on her arm helped.
Finally, Nicole Kidman brings the two trends together in an alluring L'wren Scott number. The floor-skimming black gown with heavy gold sequins ensured that the Oscar-winning actress glittered on the red carpet.
Other celebrities who kept with the black and gold trend are Jessica Chastain in Armani Prive, Jenna Dewan-Tatum in Rachel Roy, Adele in Jenny Packham and Kelly Osbourne in Tony Ward Couture.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Angelina Jolie, Brad Pitt Photographed Fighting Before ‘Unbroken’ Sydney Premiere – Report [VIDEO]
- 'NCIS Los Angeles' Season 6 Recap: Episode 9 'Traitor' Aired On Nov. 24, 2014, The Hunt For The ‘NCIS LA’ Mole Is Over [WATCH VIDEOS]
- ‘The Young And The Restless’ (Y&R) Nov. 26 Spoilers: Victoria Finds Who The Father Of Her Child Is And Jack And Phyllis Rekindle Romance
- ‘Sons of Anarchy’ Season7, Episode 12 Spoilers: Thanksgiving Break, SAMCRO Returns In December [VIDEO]
- 'Glee' Season 6 Spoilers, Air Date: Naya Rivera Teases Wedding In Final Chapter, Lea Michele Tweets 700th Song Number
- Russia Is Ready for Shooting War, Will Likely Win Looming Nuclear Showdown with U.S. – Report
- Microsoft Band Runs Out Of Stock, But Offers $10 Gift Voucher To Wait-Listed Customers
- Google Joins Forces with GoPro Inc with New Google Maps Focusing on Destination
- Target Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Ad Released For Nov. 26, 2014 Includes Deals On Toys, HDTVs And Video Games Such As ‘FIFA 15’ And ‘NHL 15’ For Xbox 360 [WATCH VIDEO]
- 16GB iPhone 6 for $99 at Sam’s Club is the Best 2014 Black Friday Deal Around
- Lumia Update Will Come Soon Confirms Microsoft
- Black Friday And Cyber Monday Sale 2014: AT&T's Cricket Wireless Offers Discounts On Lumia 1320, Galaxy S5, S4 And HTC Desire 510