Samsung to Upend Apple’s U.S. Market: Plans to Sell Galaxy S4 for $US200 or Less
By Erik Pineda | February 28, 2013 12:00 PM EST
For its U.S. rollout, Samsung has likely secured arrangements for major telcos to offer the Galaxy S4 to American buyers, Gotta Be Mobile said, and it will carry a price that will be wholly reachable for everyone - $US199.99.
Nothing new indeed with the mark as Apple sells its latest iPhone models at the same level. But that is exactly the point for Samsung's U.S. campaign - bringing the war directly to Apple's turf.
The approach makes sense, analysts said, and is in line with Samsung's not so secret goal of selling 100 million Galaxy S4s prior to the arrival of its successor next year; or the earlier the better.
By the end of 2012, Samsung's present flagship, the Galaxy S3, reportedly sold than 40 million units. While the figures were exceedingly impressive, the S3 failed to ward off the Apple surge during the holiday quarter of last year.
According to Strategic Analytics, Samsung only shipped out close to 18 million S3s in Q4 2012. The numbers fell short of the combined efforts put in by Apple's iPhone 5 and iPhone 4S, which collaborated to relegate the top Android handset to number three overall.
Previously, the Galaxy S3 occupied the number one spot.
And Samsung is gunning to grab back that sweet spot by the end of Q2 2013 if reports proved true that the Galaxy S4 will start hitting store shelves on April following the planned U.S. spectacle.
For a very affordable price tag, Samsung is set to deliver a 5-inch Full HD 1080p S4 screen that also boasts of 13MP main camera snapper and a 2MP front cam, based on leaks that have been coming since the start of 2013.
Originally, the chip specs pointed to an Exynos Octa 5 CPU that performs seamless multi-tasking duties with 8-core capabilities. Later reports, however, have suggested that the Galaxy S4 is more likely to draw muscle from a Snapdragon 600 that Qualcomm provides. It spins away at 1.9GHz.
Rumours also pointed to the possibility that last minute adjustments will leave the Galaxy S4 with a different screen display technology, ditching the Galaxy S mainstay Super AMOLED due to production woes.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kristen Stewart Moving On With Nicholas Hoult, Jennifer Lawrence Dating Chris Martin – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton Suffocated in Kensington Palace, Queen Elizabeth Reported War With The Duchess [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Dating Reports: Jennifer Lawrence Vs Gwyneth Paltrow [PHOTOS]
- 9/11 Dust Cloud Most Likely Have Created Pregnancy Issues: Celebrities Who Posed Nude During Pregnancy
Join the Conversation
- Apple Inc. Stock Surge Observed as Hedge Funds 'Feasted' Ahead of iPhone 6 Launch
- Companies Push Back IPO Plans Due to Mega Alibaba Share Launch
- Small Businesses Claim Positive Financial Situation but Negative on Outlook
- Vodafone Buys Ericsson Equipment to Replace 5-Year-Old Network Technologies
- Perfume Maker Elizabeth Arden Blames Poor Q4 Financial Results on Justin Bieber Scent
- Saudi Arabia: Brothers Beheaded For Smuggling Marijuana Into The Kingdom
- ISIS: More Journalists Beheading To Come After James Foley and Steven Sotloff [Video]
- Moto X+1 is Likely Nexus 6 Template; Motorola Shamu is 1st Android Silver with Snapdragon 810 – Reports
- James Foley’s Executioner Has British Accent—A Chilling Reminder That ISIS Has Foreign Members
- ISIS Posts Graphic Beheading Video of US Journalist James Foley
- iPhone 6 Release Date Remains On Course for Sept-Oct 2014 as Apple Delays iWatch Debut to 2015
- Nexus 6 Release Date Dilemma with Motorola Shamu Details Pointing to Better Smartphone and Killer Features