Exclusive - BCBG exploring sale, may fetch $1 billion: sources
By Olivia Oran and Martinne Geller | February 28, 2013 10:42 AM EST
Fashion house BCBG Max Azria Group Inc, whose clothing has been worn by celebrities such as Beyonce and Angelina Jolie, is exploring a potential sale that could fetch around $1 billion, two people familiar with the matter said on Wednesday.
The company, which owns the BCBGeneration, Max Azria and Herve Leger lines, is being advised by Blackstone Group
A spokeswoman for the Los Angeles-based company, founded and run by fashion designer Max Azria, confirmed it had retained Blackstone to advise on strategy. She did not elaborate.
Blackstone declined to comment.
BCBG could attract interest from other fashion companies or private equity firms, the people said.
Azria is a French designer of Tunisian descent. He launched the brand in 1989, assigning it the acronym BCBG for the French phrase "bon chic, bon genre," which means "good style, good attitude".
This is not BCBG's first time on the block. UBS tried to sell it in 2010, media reports at the time said.
The company, which offers fashionable clothes at accessible prices, has been under financial pressure since the economic crisis. Max Rave, a teen chain it acquired in 2008, was shut down several years later and the company has struggled with a debt load since then.
As of last year, Standard & Poor's said the company was in danger of breaching its financial covenants for a $230 million loan held by affiliates of Guggenheim Partners.
In December, S&P predicted that BCBG will continue to face stiff competition from numerous other clothing brands, at department stores such as Saks Inc
Lubov Azria, Max's wife, is the company's Creative Director.
(Reporting By Olivia Oran and Martinne Geller in New York, Editing by Soyoung Kim and Gunna Dickson)
Join the Conversation
- Tourre on stand says email in SEC case 'not accurate'
- Syrian authorities blocking access to needy in Homs - Red Cross
- Faith in European Union at low ebb, EU poll says
- Former UBS banker gets 18 months, $1 million fine, for muni bid-rigging scheme
- U.S. judge halts challenges to Detroit's bankruptcy bid
- Revealed: Vladimir Putin Plotting To Invade Europe – Report
- Australian and Other Select Earth Locations Hold Proofs Life Once Existed On Mars – Report
- Samsung Galaxy S6 Will Shatter Records with 64-Bit Snapdragon, 21MP Camera and Bendable Design
- Lowe's Black Friday 2014 Deals Include Up To 40% Off On Select Major Appliances, Plus Free Shipping For Orders Of $19 Or More
- Bill Clinton At It Again, Caught By Camera In Jerusalem Peeking At Woman’s Breast
- Black Friday 2014 Sale: Best Buy,Target And Amazon Offer Huge Discounts On Tablets Like iPad Air 2, Shield Tablet, Surface Pro 3 And More
- Canada Jetlines Files For C$50 Million Airline IPO